small metric V-belt source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small metric V-belt source

Where to find small metric sized V-belts?

In this case for a Emco Maximat Standard mill head
    from the 1950's. (http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page9.html)

Belts are: 8mm width, 5mm height, 450mm/630mm length

They seem standard enough across the pond
    but not finding closer source or any that will ship
    to US west coast (so far).

I do realize there is some flexibility in that
    they are all tapered sheaves with the same
    40-degree include angle but would like to
    give the machine the replacement part it was
    originally designed to work with if possible/reasonable.
    --
    Tom C
    ... nice weather eh?

Try beltpalace.com

Graham O

Comment

You might take a look at making your own belt using Polyurethane Belt material found on Amazon. I just ordered some of it to make a belt for a project I'm working on. You cut it to the length you need and weld it to a loop using heat. It's a simple process. Check it out.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

You might try a brick and mortar bearing supply, I was trying to source a belt for a EMCO toolpost grinder ( 5x352mm )
        online and it was a waste of time since like you whatever source was in the UK.
        My local bearing supply house was able to source a belt for me ( it's 3mm longer )
        but that should work.

Comment

Frankly I would check Amazon, they have had bearings my local supply house could not find. I am sure belts may be the same, who knows unless you try.
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by Astronowanabe View Post

In this case for a Emco Maximat Standard mill head
            from the 1950's. (http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page9.html)

SPZ/XPZ is the smallest metric belt I can find, 9.5MM wide at the head, 8MM deep. No numbers on the original belts?
            Maybe it's not metric?

Comment

A good bearing supplier should be able to help. In the UK, I looked at the "simply bearings" site and they stocked VB type belts which started at 5mm wide.
              https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Be...790/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

SPZ/XPZ is the smallest metric belt I can find, 9.5MM wide at the head, 8MM deep. No numbers on the original belts?
                Maybe it's not metric?
                There are smaller size belts available, but Stateside they're hard to find, Emco Maximats were made in Austria,
                both my Maximat lathes have metric hardware and belts with the exception of the leadscrews which are inch.

Comment

Originally posted by Astronowanabe View Post

How exact is that size requirement? I find the 10X metric belt to be 10mm wide, 6mm height.

https://www.vbeltsupply.com/converma...atalog=product

Anything here close enough?

https://www.vbeltsupply.com/metric-w...rapped-belts//

Comment

Not ignoring this, I have put together a L3 (3/8) segmented belt to tide me over till I find the belts I (carefully) specified,
                    Yes other larger belts can (and do) work but the wider & deeper belts we have found will impede higher speeds
                    and the motor is 70 years old and only about a 1/3 horse so the belts it was designed to use will be best.

It is one of those frustrating searches, you know what you are looking for,
                    know that they exist and are "off the shelf parts" on the other side of the planet
                    but the search engines insist in flooding me with what they have instead of what I want
                    ... you must mean something else you did not say because that is what we can offer ...

One of the shops in south England (abco) that has *exactly* what I want
                    says they are looking up distributors in the US and will get back to me

e.g. https://www.abco.co.uk/Products/8mm-...n-v-belt/8-450

thanks all
                    I will also try contacting a couple of local bearing shops

The slightly larger but likely more flexible Polyurethane belt is available by the foot
                    (I once made tires for my band saw by fusing a strip like that)

And the "belt palace" site has a very close profile match;
                    Has correct 8mm width and only 20% thicker which is now my second choice
                    if I can get them in close enough lengths .
                    --
                    Tom C
                    ... nice weather eh?

Comment

Since you know that the exact belt you need is available in England and you have a temporary solution, have the shop in England mail you the belt. It may take a few weeks to get here but you have the time to wait since you have a belt that works.

Comment

The belt search did come a happy conclusion.
                        the real heroes (people who just did their jobs and then some)
                        are folks at ABCO in Nottingham England where I placed an order,
                        and they checked on when I would be around to pick them up.
                        Of course I wasn't about to show up in person and they don't ship so the order was canceled .

They asked why I did not just pick some up locally and I explained I had looked but
                        they seem to have fallen out of use over here. they asked where and a few days later
                        sent the name of the local bearing house I had first called.
                        They expressed polite exasperation and explained the local company were distributors
                        of the exact belts I had ordered and it was BS that they couldn't supply them,
                        so the next day they sent a list of all the next closest distributors ...

Just noting that this is all way beyond what they needed to do
                        for someone a third of the way around the planet who was not even their customer .

I called the the local company back and explained that they should be able to get them and this sales person said
                        why yes, why would I think they couldn't?
                        Because when I called a couple of weeks ago you I was told you do not sell belts smaller than 1/2-inch ...
                        Ooohhh right ... you must have gotten "Bubba" (not real name).
                        Yea we don't have them in stock but will try to source some stateside first ... they will be $4 each plus handling

So it took a couple of months with some shipping snafoos and vacations etc
                        but the moral is don't trust getting straight facts from Bubba
                        --
                        Tom C
                        ... nice weather eh?

Comment

Nice to hear of a good result, get a spare while you are about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X