Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did find one issue with the Ranger, possible factory setup problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did find one issue with the Ranger, possible factory setup problem.

Nasty tire wear:

This should not be happening.

No, it is not alignment. Had that checked.

Worn-out ball joints? Better not be after 28,000 miles or so. It has not been beat that bad on bad roads, although ot has been on gravel and dirt a reasonable amount.

Negative camber? Wrong camber? Mebbe.... I can check that with a level, maybe, but probably won't get a number. I don't really want to make the fixture I'd need to check it.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Excessive camber or toe in/ out are the only 2 things I can think of, though I'm sure there are others. They should have checked camber in the alignment.

I once had really severe inside tire wear (not cupping) like that on our 2000 Ford Focus. That had some compliance in the various rear link bushings built in so that the rear wheels would go toe out (I think) under braking to improve stability. 10 years and 200,000 miles later, everything was worn enough that it was like that all the time = crazy wear. Replaced the shocks and springs, which helped a bit and other things beside, but it was only after I replaced all the rear suspension bushings that the wear stopped happening.

None of which should apply to a near near vehicle though.

Comment

WTF holy crap that should not be happening *at all* this had better be fixable under the warranty. I mean you just bought this recently, right? Something is *way* off, and an alignment shop should have picked up whatever it was. I would get it to the dealer ASAP.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I have to agree with nickel city. That is really bad.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Trouble is that although it may very well have been a factory setup issue, the dealer unless very customer oriented, will argue that it is merely a wheel alignment problem which understandably is not a warranty issue. He will argue that if it was indeed a factory assembly related issue then it should have been noted and addressed a long time ago.
          He will argue that a lot of road related carnage can happen in 28,000 mi.

I'm sure you would have remembered something like the pothole from hell and fessed up to yourself that this could very likely have caused such excessive and uneven wear. The fact that you perceive it to be a warranty issue tells me that this very likely did not happen. However the dealer likely won't be as understanding as I am.

Be prepared for a new set of tires and an alignment.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            Nasty tire wear:

Bummer. You trust the alignment shop lots? How long ago. Id show them that with your receipt in hand.

Toe in. Not sure how yours is adjusted, some are upper control arms and some are struts.

I dont think the joints are gone, the outside of the tire looks like new. Sorry to hear. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Sure looks like a toe problem. Camber problem will cause similar wear, but not, in my experience, nearly that bad.

Don't alignment shops still check camber as well as caster and toe?

-js
              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

If your front tires are wearing on the inside it is because the angle at which your tires are sitting has been shifted towards the center of the car. This is called negative camber and happens when the suspension of the vehicle is worn out or when suspension components like control arms and trailing arms loosen.
                John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  Nasty tire wear:

Worn-out ball joints? Better not be after 28,000 miles or so. It has not been beat that bad on bad roads, although ot has been on gravel and dirt a reasonable amount.

Negative camber? Wrong camber? Mebbe.... I can check that with a level, maybe, but probably won't get a number. I don't really want to make the fixture I'd need to check it.
                  You need a good frontend shop that will check everything. A good shop will check everything in the front suspension before looking at alignment. The quickie shops will run it across the machine and give you numbers. Many years back bought a new car that had a loose nut on the tierod ball joint. It took a few visits to the shop before the mechanic found it. It was from the factory with the cotter key still in it. I agree with the take it to the dealer and make them fix it.

lg
                  no neat sig line
                  near Salem OR

Comment

Could be possible that the alignment is correct to a certain spec, and the spec is just a bad alignment number

Comment

It is definitely going to the dealer if no alignment shop can fix it. I have another alignment shop I want to have look at it, the other one was while I was out of town and I had never used them before.

I fully expect the dealer to charge me for wasting their time, as Willy said, however, no matter how many alignment shops look at it. You may have noticed that I can be fairly persistent. And I am not averse to going up the ladder if I cannot get satisfaction, I've done it before.

Yes it will get new tires. Not until it is fixed, though. Having looked at it, and realized that it went a long way getting here, I drove it 600 miles on the tires you see in the pics. They did not appear to get worse.

Remember, it has taken 28,000 miles for the situation to get like this. Not sure how many of the 28,000 have been wearing the tires like this however. But, no unusual "hits", and no change in steering character.

However, the steering has not been odd at all (usually it is somewhat odd if there is a toe-in or other significant issue), and the truck gets very good mileage, well above rated for the last 2500 miles or so. That is the LEAST amount of time it can have been wearing tires, however, since I guy I know noticed the issue that far back, and forgot to mention it until recently, when I noticed it.

BTW, the alignment check was a 2 wheel alignment, the truck has a solid rear axle. I noticed that they did check the rear in the process, however, which is good practice in case the axle is not straight across.

Originally posted by john b View Post
                      If your front tires are wearing on the inside it is because the angle at which your tires are sitting has been shifted towards the center of the car. This is called negative camber and happens when the suspension of the vehicle is worn out or when suspension components like control arms and trailing arms loosen.
                      Well, sure. But with a vehicle a year and a half old, with 28,000 miles, one does not expect it to be "worn out". "Negative camber".... sure, but if so it is not at all obvious. The vehicle appears to have zero camber, as front and rear appear to be lined up.

next alignment shop will be quizzed extensively about the alignment factors that can cause the problem.
                      Last edited by J Tiers; 06-23-2021, 11:36 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Is this on just one tire, or do all of them show some sort of unexpected wear? It quite possibly could be a bad tire, with the belts improperly centered on the tread. Or maybe the rubber was improperly cured so that it wore much faster in that area. It might be possible to check camber by driving the tire over a piece of stiff rubber to see if there is more pressure on the inside edge. Another test might be to jack up the axle and see where the tire first makes contact with the pavement.
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

No matter what the dealer says, STAND YOUR GROUND!! A truck 1 1/2 years old, with no collision damage, should not be wearing a tire like that! Both the truck and the tires have a warranty and both should be covered. The dealer will most likely try to weasel out, but keep firm. As a last resort contact FORD customer relations and move forward from there. A lemon law claim might get action also. If the wear is only on one tire it could very well be like Paul said above, a tire defect. In any case safety first!!
                          Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Both front, as shown in pics. Rear are fine.

Yes, tires supplied, not sure of warranty status on tires, they are often not covered. Setup is covered.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Did this tire wear show up since your last tire rotation, you did have 3 tire rotations right
                              Last edited by john b; 06-24-2021, 01:02 AM.
                              John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X