Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did find one issue with the Ranger, possible factory setup problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero rotations. Suggested to dealer when it has been in for warranty issues, service manager said they were "wearing evenly" and saw no need. Not sure how closely examination was made, since latest instance was recently enough that the wear should have been getting noticeable.

I'm not big on standard rotations anyhow. Never did any on the S10, and tires were fine until they were worn enough for ordinary replacement. Ditto with prior vehicles. Seems to be mostly "churning" for profit....

Although some claim "you will go blind and get hives if you don't do it", it has never seemed to do anything useful with decent quality tires and no alignment problems.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by john b View Post
      Did this tire wear show up since your last tire rotation, you did have 3 tire rotations right
      Tire rotation is a thing of the past. With most tires being directional and some auto manufactures having diff size front to back. JR

Comment

Is that your personal opinion or that of the tire manufacturer.
        John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

Don't know, don't care, rotating never made any of my tires last longer than not doing so. If I rotated these, I would have 4 bad tires instead of two.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Has all this damage happened since the last alignment?

Comment

Perhaps if you had rotated your tires and paid attention to what you were doing you would have noticed the damage being done to your tire much sooner.

Comment

Perhaps if you had rotated your tires and paid attention to what you were doing you would have noticed the damage being done to your tire much sooner.
                Well, he does say he suggested rotation to the service manager so that implies he doesn't physically move them himself. And since he'd brought it up with them it was clearly their responsibility to do it or check if it needed doing. It seems like Jerry was doing all the paying attention that should have been required short of going out to the lift and doing their job for them. Their insurance policy probably would have prohibited that in any case.
                "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Perhaps if you noticed that this is a new vehicle with 28k on it you would have seen the fatuousness of that statement. It was at the dealer a few thou ago and they were asked about it. I do not have a lift, and do not want one.

If I HAD rotated tires, I would have 4 badly worn tires, instead of two.

To be fair to the dealer, the tread on these tires does not make it obvious how worn they are until they are close to bald, especially on the edge course, which is where essentially all the wear is. That was within your claimed 5k rotation schedule..... which I find to be an absurd number. All that number does is provide an "Oh, you DIDN'T? Well then of course we cannot warranty anything, you failed to 'maintain' your tires properly" excuse.

You would have required 5 rotations so far. That will be quite expensive, as all the tires have to be removed from the wheels and moved to the different wheels. The tire pressure monitors are keyed to the tire location, so unless they are to be regarded as total BS, they need to go back to the same place.

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                  Has all this damage happened since the last alignment?
                  Since the last alignment was at the factory, and the latest check saw nothing wrong with the alignment, that would be a YES. First alignment at factory was last time anything was changed in terms of alignment.
                  Last edited by J Tiers; 06-24-2021, 07:13 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

I’ve owned five Rangers in my life. ALL of them exhibited this type of wear. After the first few and oddly worn tires similar to yours, I found a guy that does nothing but alignments.
                    He was well aware of these issues and corrected the issue(s).

Coincidental? Maybe. But obviously, something is incorrect on this vehicle.

The dealer may not have the parts to get it correct, or be allowed to do anything beyond what they have parts to.

Sid

Comment

Tire manufacture as they are directional. You could rip them off the wheel and flip them. But Michelin says they dont need to be rotated. Same with Lexus (big in back and smalls up front), no rotation. I have another car that is staggered and one direction rotation (spin) also. No rotating.

No biggy, rotate or dont. I have five vehicles and never rotate and no tire wear issues.. I am old enough to remember rotating tires all the time. Tire tech is better these days as are suspensions.

Rotate at yer leisure JR

Comment

I did not know that each monitor was keyed exclusively to to one position. On my cars they just move the whole wheel assy and reprogram 8 to 10000mls. Some times I read to fast.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                          I’ve owned five Rangers in my life. ALL of them exhibited this type of wear. After the first few and oddly worn tires similar to yours, I found a guy that does nothing but alignments.
                          He was well aware of these issues and corrected the issue(s).

Coincidental? Maybe. But obviously, something is incorrect on this vehicle.

The dealer may not have the parts to get it correct, or be allowed to do anything beyond what they have parts to.

Sid
                          The rangers you had were the old ones. This is a new one, first year of new production. Very different. You can about park the old one in the bed of the new ones, they are freaking yuge.

I normally don't like buying first year production. I didn't like it being huge. I didn't think I needed 270 HP out of 2.3L (that I was wrong about).

But, it's a good vehicle, gets better than spec mileage, and the S10 was to the point that it was not reliable, 207,500 on it, rusted body, suspension loose and needed work. Good frame and engine, perfect bed, aside from a few dents and gouges in the Line-X. It didn't owe me anything, and was worth zip.

Needed a truck, needed it now. Hated the POS "Colorado", which I test drove. Junk compared to S10. Hated the Nissan. Got in the Ranger, and it was exactly right in every respect, and drove perfectly (still does). Bought the one I could drive away in.

It is what it is.

I also think something is off. I'm getting opinion #2 about the alignment soon, then if needed, will see the dealer. If Ford published the wrong alignment specs, I'll not get any help from the dealer.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Well aware of the new rangers….

Comment

May be a bit early, Jerry, but does Missouri have a lemon law?

-js
                              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Read some of the posts here, especially:

Prostock Aug 27, 2017 Verified customer

Worked fo Ford Motor a total of 31 years. Between myself brother and father a total of 100 yrs. plus. I also build high performance cars for a hobby. This is a design problem! Every excuse in the world can be given to the owners of these vehicles. The design of the trucks is to make the truck with a better ride and track better, but with the excessive castor causes the tires to wear on the inside edge. I LOVE my 4wd f-150 crew cab, but for the company to ignore the fact that there is a problem is WRONG! It isn't that hard to test different settings on the trucks alignment, and send out a bulletin to the dealers with new settings. Ford will wait till the highway is filled with Silverados and Tundras and then say "what can we do to get back market share?" Take care of the customers you have so they stay loyal to Ford, and brag about how much they like their vehicle. Remember I was on the inside, I read the memos, I owned the T-Bird with the bad heads, I owned the Contour with the faulty wiring harness, and last but not least the Bronco with the Firestone tires with the bad side walls. All ignored by customer service dept. Step up to the plate... This country was built on hard work, trust and pride. It's time to stop making excuses, and start looking for customer solutions... Built Ford Tough means PRIDE!!!
                                Also: http://www.rangerforum.com/threads/h...ur-tires.4563/

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                                X