More News About Metal Suppliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More News About Metal Suppliers

I sometimes use Midwest or Xometry's website to price check material before estimating a job. They are both more expensive than Coast, but they are (were) a good base for comparison.

Today I had a bit of a shock. Xometry listed a, 11.25 inch piece of 1/2 x 5 6061 at $89. Still no discount for more than one piece.

Midwest showed it at $44, but when I punched in just one more piece it dropped to $14.

I was kind of stunned at first. I bought a large order of aluminum a couple months ago from Coast, but I know the price has been going up. I wanted to make sure of current prices before quoting a recurring job. Midwest is still mostly out due to poor lead times, but it seems Xometry doesn't want to sell aluminum at all.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Wow! How do you quote a job with such a huge uncertainty?

Jerry

Comment

Most of my work is custom where CAD and CAM time are the biggest portion of the cost. Also, Coast doesn't play games with pricing, so I know I get the best price for my purchase volume level from them. On top of that whenever I quote an order the tell me about any upcoming price changes they know about.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Makes sense, thanks. Fourteen bucks versus $89.00 is quite a spread!

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
          I sometimes use Midwest or Xometry's website to price check material before estimating a job. They are both more expensive than Coast, but they are (were) a good base for comparison.

Today I had a bit of a shock. Xometry listed a, 11.25 inch piece of 1/2 x 5 6061 at $89. Still no discount for more than one piece.

Midwest showed it at $44, but when I punched in just one more piece it dropped to $14.

For just common Alumninum flat bar?
          https://www.mcmaster.com/8975K217-8975K436/

Mc is a bit higher,but the short leadtime usually make sup for it. I went to buy some 5" 303 stainless round for a repeat job from Midwest, the price wasn't bad, but the 3-4 week leadtime? I didn't think they could get and slower, but they managed.
          Last edited by wierdscience; 06-24-2021, 08:04 PM.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

For just common Alumninum flat bar?
            https://www.mcmaster.com/8975K217-8975K436/

Mc is a bit higher,but the short leadtime usually make sup for it. I went to buy some 5" 303 stainless round for a repeat job from Midwest, the price wasn't bad, but the 3-4 week leadtime? I didn't think they could get and slower, but they managed.
            Yeah, I checked McMaster and they were at 27 for a 12" piece. Close enough. I buy full bars from Coast for the best price most times, but... I had been occasionally buying fill in from Xometry because they atleast processed orders quickly, but not at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrythepilot View Post

Jerry
              You have to include a clause in your estimate that reads "Prices subject to change without notice"

JL...........

Comment

A lit if companies dont like dealing with small orders, s they crank up the price.
                small quantity is often marked up a lot.
                can you get a 12 foot, cut into 3 pcs , and still get reasonable shipping ?

Comment

I just recently paid $30 for a plate
                  of 6061T6 that was 12"x12"x3/4"
                  from my local metal merchandiser.
                  I thought that was reasonable.

-D
                  DZER

Comment

Japan has been buying up all the Copper, China and Australia are having a trade war with steel and rock lobsters, and have any of you looked at how congested ports have been lately with ships piling up just waiting to unload cargo? Singapore, and Los Angeles come to mind, I fly over them all the time. Welcome to the world economy...

Comment

I believe a lot of the stupid high prices are reactionary and opportunistic due to covid. A lot of companies are hurting as they lost a ton of business volume during the rona scare.

I used (used to) Metals Supermarket as they have a store 20 minutes from me. A few months ago I ordered two plates of mild steel 11x11 inch x 3/8 inch thick. Girlie on the phone says $110 and I freak at the price. WHAT??? She immediately says hold on and I can hear clicky clicky on her computer. She comes back with how does $60 sound. This immediately pissed me off that she dropped the price by almost half. I cancelled the order and emailed the manager about their predatory pricing. The manager lady calls me a couple days later all apologetic yet I stuck to the don't screw with your customers I'm outa here response. I'm not a big customer by any means but in some years I bought over $5000 from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrythepilot View Post

Jerry
                        You'd almost have to quote it with the guestimated cost of the replacing the material that you pulled off the rack.
                        At auctions, prices for full sticks and remenants of steel, Al., are ridiculous. Barrels of shorts ends and scrap that no one wanted a year ago ago are finding multiple bidders.

Comment

Bottom line is, try to stock material when prices are low... a lot of folks knew this was coming.
                          if you had, you would not have this problem today, in fact you could mark up your existing material.
                          But now its a timesucking process that slows everything diwn and is not making profit.
                          having material in stock , speeds things up..

Comment

Our pipe vendor passed on the latest price increases last month. Carbon steel and stainless 220% fittings only went up 10-15%, but pipe flanges nearly doubled. So as a result, we stopped buying inventory until prices drop.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I stopped into my supplier for a 30 lb. jug of Freon. It was on sale for $69 in May, it's $299 today. Unbelievable.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X