Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compressor Rebuild Optioins......

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Adding to what Ringo said: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Air-Pn...n-Compressors/

    Well, it certainly would be easier, and your compressor is so far out of warranty that it maybe the way to go.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

    Comment


    • #17
      WOW, there sure are a lot to chose from. I'm going to have to give this some careful thought. Given the wide selection of pumps I'll want to get something bigger than what I have but I'll have to take into consideration the mounting, the flywheel size and belt style and make sure my motor can handle it. Plumbing and all that comes into play too.

      Thanks for the links.......... JL................

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
        Adding to what Ringo said: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Air-Pn...n-Compressors/

        Well, it certainly would be easier, and your compressor is so far out of warranty that it maybe the way to go.
        Warranty... ha ha... 1983 ! it doesn't owe me a dime.

        But, I still have to think about the tank. Remember those recent videos of the tanks that burst ?? That scares me as I have no idea what the condition of my tank is inside.
        Hopefully the oil has preserved it.

        JL...............



        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          Warranty... ha ha... 1983 ! it doesn't owe me a dime.

          But, I still have to think about the tank. Remember those recent videos of the tanks that burst ?? That scares me as I have no idea what the condition of my tank is inside.
          Hopefully the oil has preserved it.

          JL...............
          Ya, I replaced my tank, the 1980 pump is fine. The tank at my old job was last certified in 1958, 200 gallons..... the whole secret is to drain the tank religiously. In fact if I were to rebuild mine (quite possible) I would put the tank after the cooler and drain, using a cooler with a drip line like yours.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            Warranty... ha ha... 1983 ! it doesn't owe me a dime.

            But, I still have to think about the tank. Remember those recent videos of the tanks that burst ?? That scares me as I have no idea what the condition of my tank is inside.
            Hopefully the oil has preserved it.

            JL...............


            How long has the tank been receiving dry air from that condenser? Do you check the tank drain regularly? Putting a replacement pump from an outfit like Surplus is a great option worth taking seriously. However, considering the age of the tank, and your ability to extract maximum use out of a compressor, it might be time to consider a new one. Maybe upgrade to a larger storage tank? Is the present unit single or two stage? If single, would it help in future plans to up the air capacity now? Your decision. If it were mine I would be looking at updating to a newer,larger tank, and a little larger pump capacity. (eternal optimist, always looking to bigger and better things in the future)

            Comment


            • #21
              I put the aftercooler between pump & tank, along with an automatic water drain, that is the ticket,
              aftercooler before the tank.

              it is post #9 in this thread,

              ​​​​​​https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...g-a-compressor

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by tom_d View Post

                How long has the tank been receiving dry air from that condenser? Do you check the tank drain regularly? Putting a replacement pump from an outfit like Surplus is a great option worth taking seriously. However, considering the age of the tank, and your ability to extract maximum use out of a compressor, it might be time to consider a new one. Maybe upgrade to a larger storage tank? Is the present unit single or two stage? If single, would it help in future plans to up the air capacity now? Your decision. If it were mine I would be looking at updating to a newer,larger tank, and a little larger pump capacity. (eternal optimist, always looking to bigger and better things in the future)
                Tend to agree. In my experience, used compressors (and yours is "well used"), "always have" bad tanks. It does not take much water to produce a "black rust" tank penetration. Or "near" penetration, with just a few months or weeks left until it drills through..

                No sense replacing the pump, and then having to replace the tank. May as well buy both together and get the "volume discount".
                CNC machines only go through the motions

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by tom_d View Post

                  How long has the tank been receiving dry air from that condenser? Do you check the tank drain regularly? Putting a replacement pump from an outfit like Surplus is a great option worth taking seriously. However, considering the age of the tank, and your ability to extract maximum use out of a compressor, it might be time to consider a new one. Maybe upgrade to a larger storage tank? Is the present unit single or two stage? If single, would it help in future plans to up the air capacity now? Your decision. If it were mine I would be looking at updating to a newer,larger tank, and a little larger pump capacity. (eternal optimist, always looking to bigger and better things in the future)
                  The tank has never received dry air from the condenser coil. The coil is after the tank, not between the pump and the tank.

                  I had thought of hooking it up that way when I first got this coil but never did.

                  I have an external storage tank in my upstairs wood shop tucked away in a corner. I put a drain on the bottom of it but have never got a drop of water out of it.
                  Like I said, nothing gets past the water trap on my coil.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210626-124548.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1948733

                  I do drain the tank frequently but it's been wet inside from day one.

                  Originally, that tank had a small petcock under it like what you would find on a lawn mower gas tank. It was hard to get at and blew straight down. Couldn't get a pan or anything under it to catch the water so I revamped it using small valve and a 90 deg. elbow that goes straight into that small container.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210626-124444.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1948734

                  JL...............

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by bborr01 View Post

                    How do you get the water out of the bottoms of the condenser coil? It seems like it would be better to have the lines in the coil run horizontally.
                    This is the fitting that was on all of the coils. Typical of hot water baseboard radiators for bleeding air out of the system. I still can't figure out why these fittings were on a condenser coil that presumably would be filled with refrigerant gas.

                    JL...............


                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210626-124433.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	1948736

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

                      Tend to agree. In my experience, used compressors (and yours is "well used"), "always have" bad tanks. It does not take much water to produce a "black rust" tank penetration. Or "near" penetration, with just a few months or weeks left until it drills through..

                      No sense replacing the pump, and then having to replace the tank. May as well buy both together and get the "volume discount".
                      I agree.
                      A month ago or so someone posted some pics of a their new Quincy vertical. I'm still trying to find it. From what I remember it was just the right size for my needs and space.

                      JL..............

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                        I agree.
                        A month ago or so someone posted some pics of a their new Quincy vertical. I'm still trying to find it. From what I remember it was just the right size for my needs and space.

                        JL..............

                        I've had positive experiences with the Quincy brand. This is the one that's been in the shop for several years now. It was bought used, and for some reason didn't have the correct magnetic starter on it. Once that issue was corrected it's been working flawlessly. More compressor than originally thought was needed, but this is one of those things where a little more is a good thing. It handles the additional air load when feeding the waste oil furnace with zero struggle. Highly recommend this model:

                        https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p14706.html

                        If a single stage compressor is more appropriate, this unit is one of their best sellers. Great features. Easy to see why it's popular enough to be on back order:

                        https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p12330.html

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X