Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weeks little projects.

Of course the new DRO...

and the results,An aluminum bar full of holes, a round bar block for the mill in pic. also.

I also copied an Idea for a vice lift, it doubles as a vortex air cooler mount for dry cooling.

Comment

How do you like the Vortex air cooler? What sort of materials do you use it on?

Best,

BW
      ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
      Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
      http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

You know Wolf, I was okay with you till I saw that disgusting YELLOW crescent wrench !

Neat looking project.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

real well.

Originally posted by BobWarfield
          How do you like the Vortex air cooler? What sort of materials do you use it on?

Best,

BW
          I have 2,Different brands, 3 if you count the one I made not quite well enough but it works sort of.

When I think about it, most all metals whith carbide or Hss, they work IMHO.

Comment

Y.O.D. thats the one I always can find first, and in my shop this is a big plus.

Powdercoat is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
              You know Wolf, I was okay with you till I saw that disgusting YELLOW crescent wrench !
              I bet Evan can do a green one

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

A round bar block? I think I picked it up in one of your pictures. I am guessing that is the item that bolts to the back of your Kurt vise...and is used to align the vise for mounting by butting it up to the dovetails on the column?

Are the tops of your dovetails square enough to do this? I can't really check mine at this point with the table off, but since that is not a bearing surface, I never figured I could be guaranteed they were scraped in square, but who knows???

How'd the DRO go in...you certainly had it mounted quick? Any issues with mounting? The only thing I am familiar with is the Newall on my mill and you have to check for square within a thousandth or so every direction for accuracy. You don't want to be applying force to the bar as the reader head moves, either. I would think that just running it to one end, gently snugging mounting bolts and running to the other would largely accomplish this, but would love to hear how it went.

Am still considering one for the lathe, but am concerned about the ability to mount the scales, as the supposed correct one for my lathe is just longer than my cross slide, putting the mounting holes off one end.
                Paul Carpenter
                Mapleton, IL

Comment

"You know Wolf, I was okay with you till I saw that disgusting YELLOW crescent wrench !"

What's disgusting? The fact that he's using a crescent wrench, or the fact that it's yellow.

Roger
                  Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

A round bar block? I think I picked it up in one of your pictures. I am guessing that is the item that bolts to the back of your Kurt vise...and is used to align the vise for mounting by butting it up to the dovetails on the column?
                    No, that is a vise stop,But a good Idea,thanx. The bar block is the little thing by the alum. bar,it is for in the vice to hold a piece of round stock for what ever reason.

Are the tops of your dovetails square enough to do this? I can't really check mine at this point with the table off, but since that is not a bearing surface, I never figured I could be guaranteed they were scraped in square, but who knows???
                    I will check that out.

How'd the DRO go in...you certainly had it mounted quick? Any issues with mounting? The only thing I am familiar with is the Newall on my mill and you have to check for square within a thousandth or so every direction for accuracy. You don't want to be applying force to the bar as the reader head moves, either. I would think that just running it to one end, gently snugging mounting bolts and running to the other would largely accomplish this, but would love to hear how it went.
                    They are glass scales the "reader" sort of floats,it seems to be very forgiving.
                    Am still considering one for the lathe, but am concerned about the ability to mount the scales, as the supposed correct one for my lathe is just longer than my cross slide, putting the mounting holes off one end.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Comment

IOWOLF-- thanks. Your answers were helpful. I meant to check my Kurt to see if the jaw faces were indeed parallel to the back of the jaw support. The surface is machined, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. If they are flat and the dovetail "faces" are a valid reference surface, this could be a *really* simple way of "keying" the vice to avoid re-tramming each time. The holes on the back of the Kurt jaws are already threaded....which leads me to believe they can be used as a secondary jaw mounting surface and should be true.

Thanks again for info on the DRO. There is so little detailed info in the CDCO catalog and a conversation with Frank (yeah...I'll bet that's his real name ) was um...difficult. There is nothing like seeing pictures.

Paul
                      Paul Carpenter
                      Mapleton, IL

Comment

I would buy another from them, barring any unforeseen problems in the future.
                        As I said before the only gripe I have is too much accuracy,0.00000 is over kill IMHO I wish I could figure out how tocut it back.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWOLF
                          As I said before the only gripe I have is too much accuracy,0.00000 is over kill IMHO I wish I could figure out how to cut it back.
                          How about a shorter cable ???

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                            How about a shorter cable ???

Excellent Idea, where are my dikes.

Comment

I bet Evan can do a green one
                              How about a glow-in-the-dark green one? That would be even easier to find.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X