Domain name scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain name scam?

I have a product that I make and I thought that I would get a .com name. I googled my choice and nothing comes up. This Is great ,nobody has the name that I want. I go to godaddy and it is available for$12 or so. No hurry, so I check some other sites and later come back to godaddy . I put it in again. This time it comes back as a premium site that cost $2300 or so. Does anyone know what happened? This is my first experience with domain names or godaddy. Edwin Dirnbeck

If you want a certain name, you have to get it immediately the first time around. There are people out there watching (or their computer is) all the time, and if you go away and come back, they will have bought it for cheap and then try to gouge you for it. The only way around that is to come up with another name and grab it the first time around.
    Kansas City area

Comment

What you describe is common, and there is a term for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_front_running

What you experienced is one of the reasons I would never do business with godaddy. I posted such when the question came up here, recently. You will find countless cases of this on the web, involving godaddy. But also with other registrars. I have used gandi.net as my registrar for over 20 years.

You must be very careful about how you check the availability of domains - due to leakage - and how soon you then reserve them. You might register with gandi and then search within their system. YMMV.

Also, there are no "deals" on domain registration costs. The base cost from ICANN is the min cost. But some companies may offer a lower price, with the hope of trapping you or otherwise extracting more money later. You may not even own your domain, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
        I have a product that I make and I thought that I would get a .com name. I googled my choice and nothing comes up.
        Edwin Dirnbeck
        Yeah.. The thing is you cant buy a domain name like you used to..

They have always been on a lease system. Problem? Too mainy applicants for domain names. It was structured out and placed in the hands of companies, like go daddy that serve as an in between to lease the dns numbers out.

You can still have yor business email address look like Edwin [email protected] Making the goods.com It will look like that to everyone else. But the actual address will go through another server that doesnt even look at the name but the address. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Yeah.. The thing is you cant buy a domain name like you used to..

They have always been on a lease system. Problem? Too mainy applicants for domain names. It was structured out and placed in the hands of companies, like go daddy that serve as an in between to lease the dns numbers out.

You can still have yor business email address look like Edwin [email protected] Making the goods.com It will look like that to everyone else. But the actual address will go through another server that doesnt even look at the name but the address. JR
          A few corrections here.

You can get an email address like [email protected] only if you own that domain (Makingthegoods.com) and configure the DNS for it correctly. When people send you mail, their mail programs will try to deliver the mail only after looking up the DNS information. Your DNS must tell the people which mail server to use to get mail to you.

Unless something has changed, once you have registered a domain name, it remains "yours" as long as you don't let the registration lapse. If register a name that is covered by a registered trademark, you may find your registration revoked.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
          X