Felt vs pipe cleaner or what should I use? Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felt vs pipe cleaner or what should I use? Photos

I am back to the K&T. I have the table and saddle removed to clean the crap out of it. What I found was a black goo in the valleys and some of the oil passages would not allow oil to go though with 100 psi of air pushing it.

I am sure this machine had the oil lines redone at one point. Some of the plugs had been drilled and the holes sealed with lead of solder. I drilled out plugs to get access to the passages. I have wire running though all the passages to pull in new felts or pipe cleaner?

The felt I have is 3/16 and is to fat to pull though. So I have to order new ether way. What I took out was pipe cleaner.

Having to order parts, I am looking for advice. Felt to pipe cleaner?

McMaster car has 1/8 felt, so I know where to get that. Not sure where I would get pipe cleaner that could be used to wick oil?

Also any advice for putting them in.
    Oil them first?
    How to stop them from pulling apart when I pull them in?

Thanks for any help.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1949098
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1949099

Are you sure that there is supposed to be anything in there? Most similar machines I know of use a pump to force oil, and the use of ANYTHING would seem to just block good oiling.

I would not think pipe cleaner was a good idea. In the first place, it is not that good at wicking oil, and in the second, the wire core poses a risk of getting into places it should not, and causing trouble.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Pipe cleaner was good enough for the manufacturer, so why be concerned? Tobacconists sell pipe cleaners, and when I tried ebay, there were hundreds of sellers, the longest lengths were 12".

Comment

felts and wicks are usually found in either drip oil systems (to slow down and spread out the oil) or sump oiling systems (to pick up the oil and carry it to where it's supposed to go). Piped oiling systems like the one on your mill are usually pressurised as JT wrote, either with a hand pump, a one shot pump or an electrical/ mechanical pump. Any obstruction in the lines will only slow down and eventually stop oil flow.

Comment

I bought a package of pure white colored pipe cleaners at the craft store.
          I rigged up a test with a few ounces of red ATF in a coffee cup, with the
          pipe cleaner running from the bottom and up over the side of the cup.
          I left it overnight and the red ATF had wicked up the white pipe cleaner.
          So they are useful in wicking situations and also I use them in down hole
          applications to act as a filter in a vertical oil passage.

Your chain rigging methods leaves much to be desired.
          I hope no one sees your pic and decides to copy it,
          thinking it is OK just to get the job done. But hey, your
          shop, your rules.

-D
          DZER

Comment

We don't know the OEM put in pipe cleaners, it sounds more like "Bubba was there".

BTW, I have pipe cleaner stock in 10' roll. I forget where I got it, so can't give a source..

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              We don't know the OEM put in pipe cleaners, it sounds more like "Bubba was there".

BTW, I have pipe cleaner stock in 10' roll. I forget where I got it, so can't give a source..
              I also have some pipe cleaners in Christmas colors, red, green, and white, twisted like a candy cane.
              I thought about using those, but I decided that maybe it would give the impression
              that bubba clause was here.

-D
              DZER

Comment

Can't be. There ain'ta no bubba clause!

Comment

If it were my machine, I'd spend some time looking at Kearney and Trecker patents to see what they say. You can often get quite good info out of a patent. I don't know when your machine was made, etc., so I just did a quick patent search for "Kearney Trecker Lubrication" and this was the first one I found... I know it's probably not your machine - I just posted this to show the kind of info one can find on K&T products.

I suspect you will be able to find a patent that covers your machine with just a little digging.

Click image for larger version  Name:	kt oiling.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.8 KB ID:	1949209
                  Last edited by Dan_the_Chemist; 06-29-2021, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                    Pipe cleaner was good enough for the manufacturer, so why be concerned? Tobacconists sell pipe cleaners, and when I tried ebay, there were hundreds of sellers, the longest lengths were 12".
                    I am not sure it was pipe cleaners when built.

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    Your chain rigging methods leaves much to be desired.
                    I hope no one sees your pic and decides to copy it,
                    thinking it is OK just to get the job done. But hey, your
                    shop, your rules.

-D
                    That lift was crap and you're right. It worked but...

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
                    If it were my machine, I'd spend some time looking at Kearney and Trecker patents to see what they say. You can often get quite good info out of a patent. I don't know when your machine was made, etc., so I just did a quick patent search for "Kearney Trecker Lubrication" and this was the first one I found... I suspect you can find the patent that covers your machine with just a little digging.Click image for larger version  Name:	kt oiling.JPG Views:	2 Size:	101.8 KB ID:	1949209

That is a great thought. The image you provided is the early cutting fluid design. The K&T has return lines that pass the fluid from the table back to the base.

Doozer,

Thanks for the input about red ATF had wicked up the white pipe cleaner. That was what I was looking for without having to test it myself. The best part of using pipe cleaner is if it doesn't work it is easy to remove.

Thanks all

Comment

My K&T had no pipe cleaners. just Bjjur oil metering units

Comment

"Pipe cleaner" is not a specific thing.... there are many types, it seems. Some are dense and may wick well, others are not so dense, and while they may clean better, they are not as good wicking.

I flat do not believe any manufacturer like K& T would use pipe cleaners as wicks. That was someone's "make-do" or 'home-made" attempt at a solution.

Comment

Jerry, you keep saying that, but if someone tests it and it works, what is the problem?

-D
                          DZER

Comment

They did used to make certain felts with wire in them, you know. Wire was so that it could hold its shape and not collapse/plug up the oil passage. What you pulled out might have been a disintegrated felt. And yes they are still being made that way but for the life of me I can't find my bookmarks.... I had it saved *somewhere*
                            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              Are you sure that there is supposed to be anything in there? Most similar machines I know of use a pump to force oil, and the use of ANYTHING would seem to just block good oiling.

I would not think pipe cleaner was a good idea. In the first place, it is not that good at wicking oil, and in the second, the wire core poses a risk of getting into places it should not, and causing trouble.
                              That was my thought also.

JL..............

Comment

Working...
                              X