OT nitrile gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT nitrile gloves

Been thinking of buying some nitrile gloves for messy jobs, but not sure which are best for all around work. Do they hold up to solvents? I have a bunch of gloves that I bought several years ago that have held up to everything from lacquer thinner to potting soil, but I have no clue what material they are made of. I got them at a surplus store, and they had no label or identifying info on them. Also, they are a little too heavy for my liking, similar to dish washing gloves, but no idea what thickness they actually are. So,, my question is what do you guys recommend regarding mil. weight, and where to get them?
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I use two kinds: disposable for general work, thicker ones for nasty chemicals (battery acid, etc)
    The ones listed here under “Chemical-Resistant” are good, I order the 5 mil.

https://www.mcmaster.com/disposable-...osable-gloves/

Here is what I use for nasty chemicals (not disposable gloves):

https://www.safetycompany.com/work-g...istant-gloves/

Comment

My favorites are the disposable ones from Harbor Freight. 3,7, or 9 mil and the XL actually fit my hands. They hold up well when working with solvents.

Comment

Never found any that would resist acetone or toluene/toluol for any length of time. Just have to change them out often if working with those.
        Southwest Utah

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
          Never found any that would resist acetone or toluene/toluol for any length of time. Just have to change them out often if working with those.
          I've used the green nitrile gloves for years for a lot of different things. They last a long time in the parts washer solvent but not so long with lacquer thinner or paint strippers.
          Thinner softens and swells the in a short time, then they usually tear.
          Worst part is they become slippery and I can't handle anything. I haven't found any gloves that will hold out to the harsher chemicals.

I also like the ones that are flocked on the inside.

JL..................

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
            Same here. Acetone eats all the gloves I try. I double wrap. I do admit I am putting physicals stress on the glove at the same time subjected to harsh chems. So I double glove. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Same here. Acetone eats all the gloves I try. I double wrap. I do admit I am putting physicals stress on the glove at the same time subjected to harsh chems. So I double glove. JR
              Try ordinary latex or butyl rubber. Both withstand acetone (but not mineral solvents)

rubbers generally resist either ketones(acetone) or hydrocarbons but very few resist both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Try ordinary latex or butyl rubber. Both withstand acetone (but not mineral solvents)

rubbers generally resist either ketones(acetone) or hydrocarbons but very few resist both of them.
                I've tried the latex gloves. They last about two minutes in lacquer thinner and the fingers begin to swell to twice their original size. They become way too slippery to hold on to any parts. I haven't found them to be of much use for anything in my shop.

These are the ones I use. https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...vid=4287924606

I've called several companies to talk to a tech and see what they recommend and have gotten samples to try but they're al about the same. They just don't hold out with thinner and paint stripper.

JL..............

Comment

Locally, everyone seems to carry the "Raven" or "Challenger" brand black nitrile, which I think is 6 mil. Maybe 7? I use them up by the box- but NOT for heavy solvent work. If it's a case of I just have to worry about splashing or spattering- like brushing on paint stripper- I'll use them. But if I have a pan of Stoddard and I'm scrubbing parts, then the actual chemical-resistant gloves come out.

The black nitrile works perfectly against most of the usual oils- WD40, cutting oil, Tap Magic, motor oil, way oil, etc. and of course a lot of other goops as well- paint, brake cleaner, degreasers, etc.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    I've tried the latex gloves. They last about two minutes in lacquer thinner and the fingers begin to swell to twice their original size. They become way too slippery to hold on to any parts. I haven't found them to be of much use for anything in my shop.

These are the ones I use. https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...vid=4287924606

I've called several companies to talk to a tech and see what they recommend and have gotten samples to try but they're al about the same. They just don't hold out with thinner and paint stripper.

JL..............
                    Laquer thinner is a nasty mix for rubber gloves as it often contains mix of ketones/acetone and aromatic hydrocarbons. One eats nitrile and another eats latez and butyl rubber for breakfast.

Comment

I like the medium thickness gloves, usually the 5 mil but some manufacturers go 3-7-9. The thinner ones tear too easy, the thicker ones dull tactile sensations too much for my liking
                      I love nitrile gloves, they seem to be a lot more resistant to solvents than the other common types. Harsher solvents still eat them, but it seems to take longer

Comment

Laquer thinner is a nasty mix for rubber gloves as it often contains mix of ketones/acetone and aromatic hydrocarbons. One eats nitrile and another eats latez and butyl rubber for breakfast.
                        That is what I found too. I try to minimize the time actually in the soup and wipe on a handy towel after a dunk. Its not much of a help but it gets me through a short job.

Mostly I try to use a wire hanger or basket to dunk the items. Or I just swap them as soon as I notice a rip. Not a perfect solution but it minimizes the time and amount of actual skin contact reasonably well.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Nitrile is good for paraffin (kerosine) in the parts washer.

Comment

I just use a PV/EVOH liner glove under something more abrasion resistant. The PV/EVOH can be submerged in lacquer thinner, acetone, or MEK for extended periods without swelling or breakthrough, but they have no abrasion resistance. Change the outer glove as it melts, or degrades as needed. No breakthrough chemical smells on my hands.

Last edited by junkaddict; 07-03-2021, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Laquer thinner is a nasty mix for rubber gloves as it often contains mix of ketones/acetone and aromatic hydrocarbons.
                              Isn't that the truth!

I have two different 1 gallon cans of "lacquer thinner" here and the labels read differently..

A soup of other solvents mixed at their discretion.. No continuity between companies. I stopped using the stuff years ago because of that..

Eye of Newt? What's that clean? lol JR

Comment

Working...
                              X