Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
    Eye of Newt? What's that clean? lol JR
    Palates. Eye of newt is an old name for mustard seed, used nowadays to make the condiment

Comment

Tonight, by coincidence, I learned about Karen Wetterhahn, chemistry professor at Dartmouth College, who spilled two small drops of dimethylmercury (not elemental mercury metal) on the back of her latex-gloved hand. The exposure occurred in August of 1996 - after a gradual buildup of severe neurological symptoms, she would die early in June of 1997.

Prior to her death, the extreme toxicity of the compound in question was not understood, and the stipulated safety precautions for its use were revealed by Professor Wetterhahn's death to be completely inadequate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

Comment

orange gloveworks brand nitrile gloves, available on amazon, and they have been rather good. i usually will blow through any brand of heavier nitrile gloves and these have been the sturdiest. I have gone through a couple of boxes in the past 2 years.
        -paul

Comment

Organic mercury goes straight through gloves, if I remember she was double gloved as well, what a horrible fate, poor woman.
          mark

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Isn't that the truth!

I have two different 1 gallon cans of "lacquer thinner" here and the labels read differently..

A soup of other solvents mixed at their discretion.. No continuity between companies. I stopped using the stuff years ago because of that..

Eye of Newt? What's that clean? lol JR
            How do the two different labels read ??

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
              Organic mercury goes straight through gloves, if I remember she was double gloved as well, what a horrible fate, poor woman.
              mark
              Where would the average person come in contact with such a substance ?? What is it used for ?? Obviously not the same type of mercury found in thermometers and thermostats.

Reminds me of Madam Currie.

JL..............
              Last edited by JoeLee; 07-05-2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Calibration in Nuclear medicine like nuclear magnetic resonance machines, it’s the equivalent of copper in steel, you use copper to find out how thoroughly mixed steel is as is zips through the molten metal real fast, I beleive they used organic mercury as a non radioactive tracer, it shows up in tissue real fast
                I’ve never handled it in the lab but we didn’t do much in the way of organic chemistry thank god.
                Mark

Comment

Working...
                X