No announcement yet.

Cutting a V-Grove Pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a link to a pdf with some information on v grooving pulleys.

I made a 2 groove pulley this morning and did a hand held camera video of it. It is one minute 20 seconds long.

Comment

Ridgerunner,
      May be a dum question but I watched the video and don't understand how you did the angle and in inward cut at the same time?? I made a pully a while ago and really had a hard time doing the grooves but it did work. Your cutting is like I pictured it but didn't work out quite that well for me but did get the pully made.
      John From Slinger, Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
        Ridgerunner,
        May be a dum question but I watched the video and don't understand how you did the angle and in inward cut at the same time?? I made a pully a while ago and really had a hard time doing the grooves but it did work. Your cutting is like I pictured it but didn't work out quite that well for me but did get the pully made.
        My fault for not saying I did it on a cnc machine.

Comment

When I cut the dovetail plug for my lathe (1945 South Bend) I first plunged in to the minor dia with a parting tool. Then used a long and narrow round-nosed general-purpose grind on some HSS, swinging the compound around to finish the job. It worked well.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by donf View Post

Yes I have a pretty small and only 3/4hp Boxford CUD lathe. .................................... I will experiment and see if I cant knock out a v belt pulley. The materials are not a lot of $ so if I mess up its not the end of the world.
            I've made several on a 10" Logan model 200. 1/3 HP (but 3 phase). Worked well. I think you will do fine and get a good result.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

I'm sure you will be aware, but I will remind you anyway that care must be taken with the reverse as the spindle has a screw thread. You may find that the 1 1/2" X 8 spindle thread may not be exactly the same as the common similar sized threads on some US made machines. We have an Atlas being refurbished at the museum, and I think that the threads and register are different from Boxford.

Comment

Thanks I am not sure I have ever used reverse. I am sure there is some use for it though. Yes the 1-1/2 x 8 spindle usually takes the USA made accessories but I have one faceplate that is too tight to fit. That's probably another project that will start soon.

Comment

Did you calculate the correct angle for the V ?? It does vary depending on the dia. of the pulley and I believe also the type of belt.

You can rough out the groove any way that is easiest for you. The parting tool always served me best. For the finish cut I like to use a tool bit that I've ground to the correct angle. I've made several different pulleys of varying sizes and belt types.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulleys-after-Recutting.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1949827
                  Here is a pic of one of my tool bit's I made. You can't plunge right into the cut as it'll chatter, It's used just for finish profiling. This ensures that both grooves are exact so one belt doesn't lag behind the other which is important on a double or multiple groove pulley. Then of course you need matched belts or you've wasted your time.

Would I make a special cutter for one groove / one pulley ?? probably not as the time to make the cutter would exceed the time to make the pulley.
                  But over the years I've made several tool bits so I usually have the correct one for any job.

Name:	Image008.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	1949828

JL...............

Comment

Thanks for the info, I posted the drawing on the first post. It was a product made by King Motorsports but production ended 30 years ago. A friend was nice enough to measure one out in cad for me. I did notice the thin spot in the center so I will not be making that cut as deep.

Comment

I have a tool which holds VNMG16 inserts which can be adjusted for end angle any position from 90 degrees left to 90 degrees right. It might come in useful for vee belt pulleys one of these days. I was going to turn up one recently, but cheated and joined two together. Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP2801.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	1949835

Comment

Originally posted by donf View Post
                        Thanks I am not sure I have ever used reverse. I am sure there is some use for it though. Yes the 1-1/2 x 8 spindle usually takes the USA made accessories but I have one faceplate that is too tight to fit. That's probably another project that will start soon.
                        You need to check the angle of the threads, your lathe spindle may have 55 degree Whitworth form.

Reverse with an unlocked threaded spindle is safer with low backgear speeds and gentle cuts. I have made this drawbar for the Atlas in case reverse is ever used, it does block the spindle bore and relies on the chuck bore being large.

Name:	_IGP2558.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	1949837
                        Last edited by old mart; 07-03-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          Did you calculate the correct angle for the V ?? It does vary depending on the dia. of the pulley and I believe also the type of belt.

You can rough out the groove any way that is easiest for you. The parting tool always served me best. For the finish cut I like to use a tool bit that I've ground to the correct angle. I've made several different pulleys of varying sizes and belt types.

Name:	Pulleys-after-Recutting.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1949827
                          Here is a pic of one of my tool bit's I made. You can't plunge right into the cut as it'll chatter, It's used just for finish profiling. This ensures that both grooves are exact so one belt doesn't lag behind the other which is important on a double or multiple groove pulley. Then of course you need matched belts or you've wasted your time.

Would I make a special cutter for one groove / one pulley ?? probably not as the time to make the cutter would exceed the time to make the pulley.
                          But over the years I've made several tool bits so I usually have the correct one for any job.

Name:	Image008.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	1949828

JL...............
                          I have a need to make a 13mm v belt pulley.I wonder what the smallest diameter one could go. Do you have any info on the angles needed . I cant seem to find any info on this.

Comment

Plunger, try googling "vee belt pulley dimensions", there should be all the info you need.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                              Plunger, try googling "vee belt pulley dimensions", there should be all the info you need.
                              Yeah, that's your best bet. Also, any company that manufacturers V belts should have data available for the pulley angles.

JL.............

Comment

1 1/2" is the smallest I'd go, and that's with an AX (I think) belt that allows a tighter wrap. If using a normal V belt then 2 to 2 1/2" minimum. Also depends on how much torque you're planning to transmit with the pulley and belt.

Comment

Working...
                                X