Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Container and All Contents

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1957647280410/
    Storage container. Formally a trailer. 20’ long, has a rear and side door. Sells with all contents and buyer must pay to move.
    My first thought...

All contents? Want to let us know what kind of contents we will have to dispose of? I'm not going to pay for the privilege of disposing of bodies for you.

... or

Oh, so that's what happened to those old barrels of DDT.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Finally someone found Hoffa.
    Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Could be completely full with breathing fluid...........

Comment

Seeing as though they don't show what is in it, it is probably nothing anyone would want or has any value. There are some really stupid sellers on Marketplace and Craigslist.

Comment

A home-made "storage container" (former Airstream?). No idea even if it is watertight. Could be full of rusting junk and a foot of water. Might be worth $500 to someone with the means to empty it out, drag it into the woods, waterproof and outfit it for a "cabin."

A common shipping container will be bigger, cheaper, have less baggage to deal with... and shipping container folks will typically drop it wherever you want it.
          SE MI, USA

Comment

Originally posted by DrMike View Post
            A home-made "storage container" (former Airstream?). No idea even if it is watertight. Could be full of rusting junk and a foot of water. Might be worth $500 to someone with the means to empty it out, drag it into the woods, waterproof and outfit it for a "cabin."

A common shipping container will be bigger, cheaper, have less baggage to deal with... and shipping container folks will typically drop it wherever you want it.
            Most of that I'm spot on with, but shipping containers are not cheap. At least not around here. One of my buddies who sell shipping containers says he can't even get any right now.
            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

40' containers were available in my area for $3000 to $3500 delivered before the virus, not sure about now...

Comment

Probably full of junk they would have to pay to dispose of. Hoping for a sucker that's been watching Storage Wars.

JL............

Comment

A 40 foot Fruehauf box of scorpions and brown recluse spiders. Nice at twice the price.

Comment

Overseas middle eastern companies will buy broken down and rusty trailer boxes, ship them home and rebuild them using $1- a day labor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post

Oh, so that's what happened to those old barrels of DDT.
                      Many years ago I was looking into buying a tiny company that made small solid rocket motors... (about the size of sounding rockets). The first few days I looked at the plant, the IPO, the books... all looked good. Then I was shown the storage yard out in the desert. Old 55 gallon barrels of god-only-knows-what, many of which had corroded and leaked all over the desert. About 5 acres of super-fund site... Suddenly I understood why the asking price was within my reach ...

Run don't walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post

Many years ago I was looking into buying a tiny company that made small solid rocket motors... (about the size of sounding rockets). The first few days I looked at the plant, the IPO, the books... all looked good. Then I was shown the storage yard out in the desert. Old 55 gallon barrels of god-only-knows-what, many of which had corroded and leaked all over the desert. About 5 acres of super-fund site... Suddenly I understood why the asking price was within my reach ...

Run don't walk away.
                        I've got a buddy who owns a fabrication and machining business. In order to be able to work on some of his own projects undisturbed he leases an old warehouse that is listed as a superfund site. He said it was used by Kodak back in the day, and that the ground is saturated with old photo chemicals. His rent is dirt cheap, and he has a huge private shop. I don't think most of the guys who work for him even knows he has a private shop much less where it is.

Comment

Sorry to be ignorant but what is a super-fund site? Is it one that is heavily contaminated?
                          'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

It's a site that a private business contaminates with all kinds of nastiness, then goes "oops, my bad", walks away from it and then leaves it to the taxpayers (re. government) to clean up. Aka, free market economics

There's an old copper mine up in Butte, Montana that's so toxic entire flocks of migrating birds die when they land in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                              It's a site that a private business contaminates with all kinds of nastiness, then goes "oops, my bad", walks away from it and then leaves it to the taxpayers (re. government) to clean up. Aka, free market economics

There's an old copper mine up in Butte, Montana that's so toxic entire flocks of migrating birds die when they land in the water.
                              That is often exactly what happens. Sometimes people get caught in the middle though. My dad had a grocery store with gas pumps. When he sold it he financed, and part of the contract was that the new owner maintained fuel leak cleanup (and other types) of insurance. The buyer defaulted on the note, and of course the insurance had lapsed. That is when my dad discovered there had been an underground fuel leak. It was not covered by the non existent insurance, and because he had foreclosed on the note the responsible party just walked away. They could be sued, and they were reported to the state who recognizes them as the responsible party, but the truth is it will likely never get cleaned up. After the foreclosure my dad refused to transfer the property back into his name, because you can't trust the state not to screw whoever is handy, and ultimately let the property get sold at a tax auction. I don't know who owns the property now or if they are even aware of the potential liability they might face.

Many years prior (back in the early or mid1980s) an old Stuckey's store about 7 miles away from my dad's store had a massive underground fuel leak. They shut down the store/restaurant and walked away. To this day it has still not been cleaned up. Probably most of the fuel has long since percolated out and evaporated, but some of the fuel additives no doubt still remain. This is why my dad chose not to return the foreclosed property to his own name. He might potentially be on the hook for the rest of his life. Since he never held title during or after the leak it would be hard to hold him culpable.

I have to be honest I have not heard of a super fund site being cleaned up anywhere in this region under the whole super fund slush fund. Back in the day when regs were changing companies just walked away from their mess. Now big companies are forced to cleanup their mess themselves, and small companies are bankrupted. Private holders can have their lives destroyed, but I'm not sure the fund is ever actually used to do real cleanup. I'm sure I can find a story, but in the real world I know of lots of superfund sites that are just contaminated and nobody is ever going to do anything about it.

I heard a story.... This is just a story. I have no proof and have spoken to nobody who claims to have first person proof. Back in the day when DDT use was outlawed lots of farmers were stuck with stocks of the chemical. They couldn't use it, and disposal was just not available in many places and outrageously expensive in others. The story is that some just buried the barrels in the ground. They thought they were doing the best thing they could, but the story goes on. In some areas (Gila River Valley near Buckeye for one) its rumored that the underground flow remains contaminated with low levels of DDT because every few years another one of those barrels rusts out underground and soaks the surrounding soil. Most of those farmers died or moved on years ago, so it might be impossible to verify that story or get locations to try to reduce the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X