Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking if building muti tool bar? for lathe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking if building muti tool bar? for lathe.

I have to make some thin parts from 3/4 round aluminum
    about .170 thick with drilled hole, corner chamfer, and countersunk.
    so to avoid handling and second op.... i want to build toolholder for my 4 way. 1 inch square stock with 3 tools mounted. 1 or 2 turns of handle apart for easy index. So center drill, drill, chamfer all on the bar.. Easy to build.
    Anyone trty this, I saw it used on CNC somewhere.l

I'd go the full monty and include a cut off tool in the side. If you grind one and are real careful you can grind a small chamfer on the side of the tool so it deburs the cut just before breaking through to the center. Sounds perfectly doable, only challenge I can see is making sure all tools are on center. For the chamfer tool an old drill or end mill ground to suit would probably be easier than adapting a piece of square HSS or insert tooling.

you could even make a multi point carriage stop to speed things up if you have a whole bunch to do.

Comment

The CNC guys call it a "gang tool", and it's pretty much what you describe. A long bar with holes to set various tools.

Only thing to look out for is potential collision between tools (that is, tool B is working, what does Tool A hit? The chuck? The other side of the work?)

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Called gang tooling, it is very well suited to small diameter short length lathe parts.
        Coolant positioning can be a problem but is easily solved.
        I often make them for specific small parts in a 15" lathe. This one is not yet finished.

There are many types that you may buy as well, some are held directly in the existing tool post, others replace the tool post and bolt directly to the cross slide and will hold as many tools as part size and X axis travel allow.
        Some machines do not handle gang tooling well.

Comment

Gang tooling, I forgot.. that is what i called my triple grooving tool that went missing.. so have to make that too.
          its easy to make, this one... use 1 inch square, shim if nneded. Position for first tool hole , set crosslide to Zero or note number.. drill and finish tool hole. So countersink with straight shank , all tools held with setscrew. Move cross slide to next 0 or 2nd .. then bore next hole, repeat.. its for the washer in this pic with flat head bolt.. corner on faced edge I hit with a file. 16 to 50 pcs at Click image for larger version  Name:	20210618_103446.jpg Views:	0 Size:	403.2 KB ID:	1949909 a time maybe. Short run
          Last edited by 754; 07-03-2021, 04:42 PM.

Comment

"Thinking if building muti tool bar?"

Stock it with some nice Scotch and Tequila. I always wanted a multi Stool Bar too
            Oops, reading is not my good point. Actually, I dont have Any good point, just mediocre at best JR

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
              Called gang tooling, it is very well suited to small diameter short length lathe parts.
              Coolant positioning can be a problem but is easily solved.
              I often make them for specific small parts in a 15" lathe. This one is not yet finished.

There are many types that you may buy as well, some are held directly in the existing tool post, others replace the tool post and bolt directly to the cross slide and will hold as many tools as part size and X axis travel allow.
              Some machines do not handle gang tooling well.
              With that setup, (which may just be for photographic purposes) you would have to remember which direction the spindle was turning in.

Comment

Not if boring bar is turning an outside feature..,

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post

With that setup, (which may just be for photographic purposes) you would have to remember which direction the spindle was turning in.
                  Not really, the left handed boring bar was chosen for this reason, OD turning in the forward spindle direction as mentioned above.

A right handed boring bar held upside down running the spindle in reverse for OD turning and facing, there is a 50/50 chance that I will turn the spindle on in the forward direction from habit, this is tough on tooling (-:
                  Last edited by Bented; 07-04-2021, 05:30 PM.

Comment

The one factor that is important is a long travel cross slide.

Comment

You already know the X travel, simply do not exceed it.

Also stuff pipe cleaners or felt in all oil passages, this will improve machine performance over all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                        You already know the X travel, simply do not exceed it.

Also stuff pipe cleaners or felt in all oil passages, this will improve machine performance over all.
                        LOL........

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

I could not get good pics but it wirks.. give yourself more room than you think.... turns out the c-sink can hit while drilling so I use it for the corner chamfer.. and it works but .....because its dull raises a burr x 2. That takes a while to file off.
                          but most important, parts comes off not needing to be rechucked.. only needs burr taken off the hole .
                          not turret lathe fast but faster than doing second op.. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210705_155733.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	1950238 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210705_155631.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	1950239

Comment

Add this and more tools for production run. Goes in tail stock like a drill. Different morse tappers to fit most lathe. https://youtu.be/F_73itfY14w

Click image for larger version  Name:	7301001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	1951411
                            Last edited by Fasturn; 07-14-2021, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Ì tried one of them, it did not work really well....

Comment

Working...
                              X