Piston ring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston ring help

May need some help making piston rings for this…..
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Curious which engine? EMD or Cat?
    Brian probably can help, he knows more than anyone about rings at this point.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
      Curious which engine? EMD or Cat?
      Brian probably can help, he knows more than anyone about rings at this point.
      Nether. Alco engine, Auburn NY. Picked it up at the factory!

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

Nether. Alco engine, Auburn NY. Picked it up at the factory!
        Curious, I haven't heard of them. What is their primary application? EDIT never mind, it seems the Alco replaced the EMD but not the Cat. Locomotive engine and standby generator applications. Mfd by Fairbanks-Morse, whom I had thought were long gone.
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 07-03-2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Yup. But, Alco in Auburn is long gone!
          My brother got it years ago. He has a piston collection.
          I’m going to use it for my booth I set up for my business at the Syracuse Nationals in two weeks.

Sid

Comment

Maybe Brian can make you some
            Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
            Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Sure, build a Top Fueler with one cylinder.

Comment

Are you going to mate this with a cylinder for a working engine? Or do you need the rings just for show? In that case, you can probably just get some steel (or even aluminum) pipe or tubing and bore/turn it to size, part off rings, cut a slot, clean up, and pop them on (using some sort of expander). Or maybe you can find rings for something else, that would be close enough.
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Paul- I’m being facetious. Given Brian’s post, i thought I’d joke around a little bit with this huge piston.

Comment

May need some help making piston rings for this…..
                    Hey Sid..... when you find rings for yours see if you can find some for mine.

The two on the left are used and are close in size to yours. I'm not sure what engine the one on the left was for. That one has never been used. I have a couple valves somewhere for it.

The small piston in the front came out of a 12 HP Briggs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1949976

I have the rod to one of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1949977

JL..............

Comment

Hey Joe, I was waiting for you to comment. I figured you’d be able to relate if anyone. That one in the right looks to be the same as mine. Funny, my brother has a rod like yours too.

Comment

Hey Joe, I was waiting for you to comment. I figured you’d be able to relate if anyone. That one in the right looks to be the same as mine. Funny, my brother has a rod like yours too.
                        Hey Sid, They look pretty close but yours has something sticking out of the top where mine doesn't. Unless yours was unfinished. Mines is dished and does have like a 3/4" threaded hole in the center. The piston measures 18" x about 12 1/4" in dia. I wish I had the wrist pin for it, it would have made a great cylindrical square if it was finished as nicely as teh new ones are.

JL..............

Comment

The spud on top I assume I part of the casting process. This one was not finished. It had two 5/8 threaded holes on top.

Comment

The threaded holes on top of these large pistons is there to accept an eye bolt used to pull the piston and con-rod assembly out through the top of the engine.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Curious, I haven't heard of them. What is their primary application? EDIT never mind, it seems the Alco replaced the EMD but not the Cat. Locomotive engine and standby generator applications. Mfd by Fairbanks-Morse, whom I had thought were long gone.
                              Alco bought Mcintosh and Seymour (builders of marine and stationary power) located in Auburn, NY. Alco built diesel engines for their locomotives (with mixed results). Bombardier later bought the factory and at some point Fairbanks-Morse bought the rights (and probably some of the tooling) to the Alco 251 diesel- widely considered one of the best large diesels ever built.
                              I went to a tool auction at the Auburn plant and spent a lot time spelunking in the offices and dyno cells. Neat place.

Comment

Working...
                              X