3 Flute Drill Bits,Any Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Flute Drill Bits,Any Users

I got some of these NOS 3 flute drills a while back,used one for the first time yesterday and real impressed,the hole is very smooth. Click image for larger version

Name:	6FB8ECF9-94E7-4513-AF6E-3B60584942C3.jpeg
Views:	448
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	1950149

I've seen them used on cam driven screw machines. Hollow mills as well.

Comment

They look like parabolic or high helix drills. They're primarily used for deep hole drilling to minimize having to peck to remove swarf. I have a set of fractionals up to 1/2" made by Chicago Latrobe. They work great. They're best used in a machine rather than a hand drill. The high helix tends to pull the drill into the work piece. They're easily controllable in a mill, but a bit harder with a hand drill.

Comment

Can they be used directly, or is a pilot hole required?
        Are the illustrated ones solid carbide?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
          Can they be used directly, or is a pilot hole required?
          Are the illustrated ones solid carbide?
          I used them with no pilot hole and solid carbide.

Comment

Haven’t tried them, only the basic 4 flute core drills if got a few sizes of, not ream finish but not far off, needs a pilot hole unlike triflute I’ve been told, think I might invest in a few to try, just some basic sizes like 16mm clearance, plus they look cool
            mark

Comment

In smaller sizes, three flute drill bits were used to make/modify carburetor jets. They leave a nice round swirl-free hole.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                Haven’t tried them, only the basic 4 flute core drills if got a few sizes of, not ream finish but not far off, needs a pilot hole unlike triflute I’ve been told, think I might invest in a few to try, just some basic sizes like 16mm clearance, plus they look cool
                mark
                I would have never bought these over the counter way to pricey for my shop,but scored them at garage sale.

Comment

I've seen them before but don't have any. I do have some 3 flute end mills.

JL.............

Comment

Purchased set (1/16 - 3/8 inches) on sale @ local hardware store sale. supposed to [superlatives]... If there is a difference I fail to see it in either performance or results

Comment

I have just looked at a HSS three flute drill on ebay, and that type would need a pilot of 1/3 its diameter. Solid carbide drills give a better finish and hole size than steel drills, those three fluters must be awesome.

Comment

TTT is right, them things is very very pricey, oh well semi sharp Chinese decorative iron drill it’ll be, how sad, was looking forward to high tec drills
                        mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                          TTT is right, them things is very very pricey, oh well semi sharp Chinese decorative iron drill it’ll be, how sad, was looking forward to high tec drills
                          mark
                          Mark I knew they were pricey,just talked to Kennametal Dealer $365 for the 5/8” and 1/2” $305,pretty happy paying $8 each for them lol!

Comment

They may be used for drilling cored holes in castings.. I mean their intended use..

Comment

Sometimes you get lucky. I paid $65.00 for the 1/16- 1/2" (by 1/64 increments) set of Chicago Latrobe set I bought last year. They came from a company that buys out industrial businesses overstock, or inventory from closed businesses. They were simply listed as "High Speed Jobber Drill Set". I could see from the photos what they were, and the price was unbeatable.

Comment

Working...
                              X