3D printer uses, Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
    A second calibration cube I printed came out with less the 0.0015 error.
    You are happy with a .0015 error? What are you, a woodworker?

Okay, just pulling your leg. That's pretty good. How is squareness ?

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

What are you using to clean the printing plate and what material is the plate covering? I get my filament from Amazon 1 Kg roll less than $20 to my door. Not sure if your printer has a heated build plate or not? I use almost exclusively PETG. Heated plate cleaned with DNA never any issues.
      I have a Creality glass bed with a coating that is similar to PEI. Grips well with a raft or brim, might lift in a corner without. Prints pop right off after they cool. It does have a heated plate but since I have only printed a few items I have not cleaned it yet and so far no problems. I have only trammed it the one time too. I'm trying to see how long I can go without problems. I probably will use IPA too clean the bed. The alcohol not the beer, that would be a waste but the prints would smell interesting. 3D printing Canada had the filament at my door in 22 hours by courier but I'm only 200-ish miles away. Still that is good service.

I plan to move on to PETG at some point in the future after I get enough experience with PLA. I'm not printing stature and figurines, my focus is on mechanical things. Right now I'm trying to do a PLA pattern to make a casting mould. The pattern will be burned out.

P.S. the only problem I have had so far is the filament sometimes get hung up and stops extruding, I will print out a better spool stand or dry box that takes the stress off of the filament and cold extruder. Lots off those on Thinaverse.
      Last edited by loose nut; 07-14-2021, 02:25 PM.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post

You are happy with a .0015 error? What are you, a woodworker?

Okay, just pulling your leg. That's pretty good. How is squareness ?
        Not a woodworker, ever!

For plastic printing that seems a reasonable error. It is a subjective measurement because your not dealing with machined faces so I expect it will vary over printings.

Squareness? I've always been a bit of a square, your basic nonconformist. Probably should be on somebodies watch list. HE HE HE......💣 Oh you meant the cube, it looked OK. Again its is printed so it will be different according to what shape you are printing.
        Last edited by loose nut; 07-14-2021, 02:21 PM.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

IPA is like cleaning with water, DNA home improvement stores carry for shellac brush cleaning. Takes off grease and fingerprints etc.
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Good to know.

I had a print pop of the bed so I guess I reached the point where it needed cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
              Good to know.

I had a print pop of the bed so I guess I reached the point where it needed cleaning.
              My bed gets wiped down before every print I have a new green Scotch bright pad cut in 1 inch wide pieces I use to wipe off the nozzle at the same time... after its heated up.
              Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Darn it, I just started a thread when I could have added to this one.

Comment

Working...
                X