Starter tool holder and bit sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter tool holder and bit sets

Looking for a starter tool holder set to get me started on a 10" lathe. Nothing fancy or expensive, just home shop use. Also a tool bit set if they make such a thing, or recommendation for what combo of bits to get would be appreciated as well.

Need something that will work in this tool post:

I looked through enco but only found one set, and it seemed geared toward the mini lathes. It also has some measuring tools included which I don't need. Seems like it would be nice to offer sets of tool holder and bits (of the most common used) for those starting from ground zero....

Ok, I know the drill... "what is it you want to make?"....
    First order of business is my son wants to make a simple center punch like this one that I made about 100 years ago in high-school machine shop.

Secondly I need to make some spacers and bushings for a couple of suspension pieces on my race car.

Thanks
    Wayne

I think pre-sharpened sets of lathe toolbits are fairly useless, since you'll need to resharpen them after the first evening of use, anyway. Just get some square toolbit blanks and grind your own. Places like MSC www.mscdirect.com have a vast selection. Get their catalog, if you don't have it -- it's free and weighs about 17 pounds. You can learn a lot just looking through it.

Now, one thing a set of pre-sharpened toolbits can do is show you what the shapes are supposed to be...maybe. It assumes they're ground properly to start with.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Wayne, I bought a Quick Change Toolpost set from Enco for my 10" Logan/Montgomery Ward lathe and it works fine. I think it was on sale when I bought, less than 100 bones. Im selling the lathe but Im keeping the tool holder set. The set I have is Model #505-2253. BTW, I had to machine the plate that goes into the compound slide to fit the t-slot.

Comment

Hmm, that would be this one? $89.00
        http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-2253

Is there anyway to tell if something like this will fit my lathe without additional machining?

Is it better to buy something like this rather than buy individual tool holders that will work in that existing tool post?

Wayne

Comment

Hmm..I dont know about any other tool holders, Im still a newbie. When I say machine the mounting plate, all I had to do was make it fit my t-slot. It was real simple. I would surmise you could use a grinder and a file if you went slow and easy. I would have if I didnt have a mill/drill, but thats just me. I hope you get it figured out.

Comment

Tool bits

I would just get some square tool bits of the size you want to use, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8" sq. or whatever. Then get a copy of How to Run A Lathe, from Lindsay Publications, it will tell you how to grind tool bits and a whole lot more. Cut some sheetmetal shims to shim your new tool bits to center height. After grinding them stone them with a medium and then a fine stone to polish out all grinder marks, the finer finish the better they will work and the longer they will last. Unless you are after maximum production the shape isn't all that critical, if you try to follow the shapes in How to Run a Lathe you will be close enough.

Comment

Ok, I ordered the msc catalog, and have been reading the Lindsay book over the last couple days. I understand I will need to learn to sharpen tool bits, but I'm still confused as to the tool post / tool holder issue relative to this lathe.

Is the tool post that is in the above picture intended to hold tool bits by themselves only (as in the picture), or is it intended to hold tool holders as well? I need to get a knurling attachment which I assume will fit in that tool post, as will the regular tool bit holders?

The tool bit that is in that photo is a 1/2". That seems a bit large for a 10" lathe? As you know, tool bits come in a variety of sizes - 1/4, 3/8, 5/16, 1/2 etc. Is there any sort of guidelines to use as to which size of bit to standardize on when starting from scratch? I recognize I may eventually need some smaller or larger sizes, but there has got to be some sort rational for picking a size for the majority of the tool bit inventory?

As to tool bit holders, enco site recommends tool holders that take a 1/4 bit for lathes with 10" swing. The next size up holder takes the 5/16 bit. 1/4 seems awfully small to me?????????

I did find this starter kit at enco which takes 1/4 bits. I don't need the measuring or marking stuff that comes with this kit though.
              http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INSRHI

Wayne

Comment

WAIT, don't go 1/4". In your picture of the tool you had to raise it 1/4" to get it to cut on center? If your serious about tooling this up, research your tool post and get a nice quick change. Don't be to cheap or you won't be satisfied. With the right holder you quickly change out your turning, threading, parting, boring and knurling tools without having to adjust for center each time. When I started we hand ground all of our tools but now a days, carbide insert is the way to go. The advantage of grinding your own is to customize radii and if you are good and know how to grind a good chipbreaker you will get a frer cut with less power. Which means you can take a bigger cut on an older machine where horsepower is a little lower. If you buy toolbits, again, spend a little and go with the Momax or Super Momax. The cobalt content is well worth it in tool life. I have special tools that are over 20 years old and still work well. When sharpening, do NOT burn the bit, keep it cool, light grinding. If you see a major color change you have just lost the hardness. It looks like your current tool post is sized for 3/4 tool bits but that gets pricey. I would stick with the 1/2" bits. You can also get the inserted tooling in 1/2 inch size including threading.

Comment

Enco tool post

The $89. quick change Enco toop post you listed eairler is the way to go. It will fit your lathe. You may have to machine the nut to fit your t slot but that is easy to do on the lathe if you have a four jaw chuck. Gary P. Hansen
                  In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Wayne-- I think there is some (reasonable confusion) about the term "tool holder". You see it used in too many different ways and thus, some of your confusion is reasonable.

Most common uses today refer to a *toolpost set* as the phase II item you found. It comes with a quick change toolpost and "tool holders" that mount to the post. In those tool holders, you can clamp items that do the cutting, or items that hold (usually carbide) inserts that do the cutting. The latter items are also, often called tool holders, perhaps more correctly, "insert tool holders" or "indexable tool holders". Just as easily as a tool post could hold one of these carbide-insert tool holders, it could hold a tool bit like you show in your initial picture. In that case, a carbide cutter is brazed to a not-so-hard tool bit.

Also commonly, (mostly with home shop types like us, nowdays) are complete bits that are made of high-speed steel (HSS) Those bits can be ground to shape and clamped directly into a quick-change tool hoder like the PhaseII, without the benefit of any of this stuff: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INSRHI

By doing it this way, you can use HSS tool bits that are larger than the 1/4" size, within the limits of being able to adjust it on center. These larger HSS bits will be stronger and more rigid than a bit, in a holder, in a QC holder. In short, don't waste your money on the item above.

You could perhaps even use 3/8 HSS tool bits in the tool post you have. The reason folks recommend the QC tool posts is not just for the tool changing abilty, but for the ease of adjustment to get on center (no shimming) by just adjusting a stop nut on each individual tool holder.

good luck
                    Paul
                    Paul Carpenter
                    Mapleton, IL

Comment

Tool bits

wayne:
                      Hope we are not confusing you with TMI. What you are showing in your photo is your tool post. What is being suggested by many is a quick change tool post set. The parts that hold the tool bit are clamped onto the tool post with a dovetail and plunger or dovetale and wedge design. The wedge design is better but more expensive. The advantage of the qc toolpost is that you can change from one tool to another quicly also it is easy to set tool height.
                      what you need is an asortment of tool bits. Mcmaster car sells pre ground bits but it is realy better to learn to grind your own.
                      tin
                      Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

I bought a AXA size wedge type quick change tool post and it is quicker, and I truly appreciate the cutoff and boring holder. But I found my block type tool post, much like the one you have, is more rigid and in some cases can help me get better results slower (rather than getting bad results quick!!). You've got a relatively small base with a lever hanging off to the side of it...some set ups can can get a bit loose.

I don't think 1/2" bits are too big for a ten inch lathe and it gives you some more grinding options including parting and grooving forms...I guess basically what I'm saying is that the quick change is a good addition if you have the cash but the four position tool block can be pretty versatile, with a little foresight (pre-shimmed tools, and a consistent grind) can be pretty quick, and in some cases may be the more proper tool.

I'd just invest in some 1/2" and 3/8" HSS stock and a grinder for now...

Comment

Wayne,
                          You've gotten some good advice so far, I'd just add that the gizmos holding tool bits on the Enco link are really more appropriate for the older lantern-style toolposts (as seen on many older South Bend, Atlas, etc. lathes). I don't really see much use for them if you already have a block type toolpost, which you do.

I have a QC also and it's wonderful, but as abn pointed out your type is more rigid. (that may be less true for a high-dollar QC, but it sure is for my Harbor Freight model.) If you can afford the QC, get it, and use 1/4 toolbits (quicker to grind to shape). If not, measure the distance from centerline to the bottom of your existing toolpost and pick the toolbit that is closest (but not bigger).

Good luck, and have fun making chips!

Walt

Comment

Ok, so I can clamp tool bits for turning into the existing block type tool post.

But what about knurling, boring, and cut-off? Do you clamp the knurling and boring tool directly into the block tool post? Is there a specific type of knurling/boring tool that is designed for use by this type of post?

Thanks
                            Wayne

Comment

The QC works like this. The tool post holder mounts to the cross slide on the compound. Easy to align or offset. One nut tightens it in place. The lever holds the tool bit holder. To make a bushing would be something like this; Align tool holder post to chuck and tighten. Insert work piece in chuck. Insert tool holder onto tool holder post with right or left hand turning bit in it, set height and lock height of bit in tool holder, turn lever to lock holder to post. Now that turning bit and holder are good to go any time. Turn work piece. Turn lever and that tool holder is removed. Insert boring bar in tool holder which will be already aligned with chuck as there are two stations on the holder 90 degrees apart. Set height and now it's also good to go. Bore center. Turn lever and remove tool holder. Install parting off holder with bit. Again the holder never got out of square. Adjust height on parting off bit in another holder and it's set too. Turn lever and it's locked. Part off work piece. All tool bit holders are set in height and at the turn of a lever are ready to use. Easy, fast and ridged on a 9" south bend. Cost is a little more but for me well worth it. Hope that helps some. How you grind your bits is a whole differant topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X