X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Tomorrow my wife is having a benefit yard and bake sale to aid in the fight against Parkinsons disease, and I have been told that I WILL help. She only does this every three or four years, and it takes up a whole day (with two months of preparation). Today I went to Toronto and bought a used DoAll industrial metal cutting bandsaw and the VFD required to run it--It is huge, and I haven't even started to figure out how I will get it out of the back of my truck. We are having two grandchildren sleep over tonight to help drag all the yard-sale treasures out of my basement, storage area and garage and get them set out in the driveway early in the morning.
    Good luck with your Benefit Sale and congrats on getting a Doall,you will be very pleased Iā€™m sure.My 1950 ML 16ā€ came from Auction and looked very rugged but gave it some TLC and repowered with a 1 ph motor which was very easy. Do not lift on table in any way when unloading.Click image for larger version  Name:	C2A8A6EC-C394-4BA4-AEEC-8F9F100467E7.png Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	1959107

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Tomorrow my wife is having a benefit yard and bake sale to aid in the fight against Parkinsons disease, and I have been told that I WILL help. She only does this every three or four years, and it takes up a whole day (with two months of preparation). Today I went to Toronto and bought a used DoAll industrial metal cutting bandsaw and the VFD required to run it--It is huge, and I haven't even started to figure out how I will get it out of the back of my truck. We are having two grandchildren sleep over tonight to help drag all the yard-sale treasures out of my basement, storage area and garage and get them set out in the driveway early in the morning.
    How about a pic of the saw? I have a DoAll 16" metalmaster bandsaw and love it. Mine is well over 1000 lbs.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Well, I think two wheels are just right for this one, it's an aesthetic thing. Its a good looker.
    All of Brians engines are aesthetic, they are all good lookers.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Every day we get a little closer. Keyway and grub screws are in flywheel, and a starter hub has been turned and installed. Jeez, I wish I had the other flywheel!!!

Leave a comment:

• Richard P Wilson
    replied
    2 flywheels will run more smoothly than 1 flywheel as well as looking better, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Well, I think two wheels are just right for this one, it's an aesthetic thing. Its a good looker.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Well Sir!!!--That looks nice. The keyway is going to be problematic. My keyseating set has an insertion tool for hubs that are 1" long, while this actual hub is 1 1/4" long. If I try to put a keyway into this hub with my current set up, it will break the broach, to the tune of $100 per. Tomorrow I will machine a longer insertion tool. The proportions of this flywheel are about perfect. Somebody asked if this engine really needs two flywheels. Perhaps not, from a purely mechanical standpoint, but for the sake of art, it needs two. I have never envisioned this engine with only one flywheel.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Does this engine need two flywheels?

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    My flywheel showed up in the mail today, and it's a beautiful thing. Only problem is, I bought and paid for two flywheels, not one. I have let Gary at Martin Model know that I've only received one, and I'm sure he will make it right.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    You will never be sorry. I use mine almost daily. Every part starts with cutting off a piece of material. A good metal saw is next in importance to a mill and lathe in my book.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Moving on up---Thirteen years ago, when I first started building model engines, I needed a bandsaw. Metal cutting bandsaws were simply beyond my price range, so I bought a 16" vertical wood cutting bandsaw for $200 and added a second jackshaft and pulleys to slow it down to metal cutting speed, and it has served me faithfully.--It does the job, and does it very well but it's slow. I recently had an old customer come forward and ask me to design a couple of welding fixtures for one of the big three auto companies, and this will leave me with a few thousand dollars that weren't earmarked for anything. I've spent the morning on the telephone calling used machinery dealers, and I may have found a good used metal cutting bandsaw that was designed to cut metal, not wood. This is rather exciting for me, and I'm waiting for a call back from someone in Toronto right now. So----If it works out right, I may have a real, honest to God metal cutting bandsaw in my garage.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    This morning, for something to do, I hooked up the battery to my coil and sparkplug tester to verify that the timing was right where I wanted it to be----it was. I started checking around for Traxxas 4033 carburetors and concluded that I didn't have any, so I ordered three new ones from Ebay. I can and have built my own carburetors in the past, but the 4033 Traxxas carb works so well on these 1" bore engines that it isn't worth the bother to build my own carbs.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Nice boathouse John---Pretty nice fish too!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    We took our second oldest grandson and went to the beach yesterday. My God it was beautiful. A lovely lake, bright sunshine, hot temperatures around 80F. Beach wasn't crowded, water was clear. I sat back in my beach chair between swims and thought----My God, if I had to do this every day, I'd go stone crazy. I wish it wasn't so. If I could be happy doing that, I'd sell my house in Barrie and buy a house on a beautiful fresh water lake in the Muskokas, about 30 miles north of where I am. My wife thinks she would like that, but I'm sure that after a couple of months she would be as crazy as I am. I know!! Thirty years ago I bought a cottage on one of those beautiful lakes. It was in pretty rough shape. I worked every day for a year on it, with help from our two boys, and we made it a lovely cottage. The week after we finished it I was going nuts trying to find something to do.---So we sold it. Been down that path before---
    I am doing that now, just down river from Big Chute. I see no end in sight of work. The plan is to sell the place in Elora/Fergus area (out in the country) and retire at the cottage on the Severn September 2030 but who's counting eh!? šŸ˜ƒ. Jumping through hoops trying to get a driveway permit now while learning tree work, rebuilt the boat port last year, breaking rock out of the basement with rock breaking grout, etc, etc....
    And of course teaching the kids to fish and drive boats!
    Love watching your builds Brian.
    All the best,
    Jon
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X