No announcement yet.

T head engine by Brian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, not really. I have the spring loaded T handles (snap gauges) that you measure with a micrometer, but nothing for holes smaller than about 5/8". I do trust my reamers for size, but the chamfer on the end of the reamer is the reason I used the endmill instead. I've been machining for about 13 years now, and at least once a week I find something out that I commit to memory, saying "Huh!!! Won't do that again!!!"
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
      No, not really. I have the spring loaded T handles (snap gauges) that you measure with a micrometer, but nothing for holes smaller than about 5/8". I do trust my reamers for size, but the chamfer on the end of the reamer is the reason I used the endmill instead. I've been machining for about 13 years now, and at least once a week I find something out that I commit to memory, saying "Huh!!! Won't do that again!!!"
      Don't we all ! Seems most of what I have learned over the years comes from trying all the wrong ways first.

Comment

• So here we have the engine dressed out in all of it's pretty colors. I had to get my good wife to take the pictures with her cell phone. Right now it is taking better pictures than my $700 digital camera. I will post one more video of this engine running, and then, as Bugs Bunny would have said--"That's all folks!!!"

Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Love how it all came together. I really like the color scheme too!
          Southwest Utah

Comment

• Looks great, Brian! Just in time for Halloween, too.
            Kansas City area

Comment

• Looks good as usual Brian. You can design and build a half dozen engine while I am still farting around with one.
              Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

• Save those farts! A methane-powered model would be a first for the forum!
                Southwest Utah

Comment

• Very nice Brian

Comment

• Great engine, great job! As I have said before, I learn something new about machine
                    shop work every time you build a engine. Thanks
                    olf20 / Bob

Comment

• Great Job Brian,the fan looks pretty cool and the orange really makes it Pop.You mentioned you’ve been machining for 13 yrs.,how much Engines have you built?

Comment

• Tundra--I currently have about 40 engines. About 1/2 are steam and about 1/2 are internal combustion.---Brian
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Question--do you have to have a special tool to insert helicoils? I have a couple of 10-24 threaded holes in my aluminum cylinder head that are getting kinda funky. I can buy a bag of helicoils for $12, but I I buy a "helicoil kit" the price shoots up to $45
                          Brian Rupnow
                          Design engineer
                          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• "Have to"? I know of folks who say no. I have several helicoil kits of various sizes. They have a tap and an insertion tool in them, and that definitely makes it easier. I have not needed to do it without the tool.

Others say the taps are just standard ones, but the ones I have do not seem to measure to be standard.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• The taps are special. They should be labeled "10-24 STI " for screw thread insert. I have made the inserting tool from a screw or bolt.

Comment

• What rickt said.
                                The insertion tool will just consist of a 10-24 screw with a protuberance on the end of it in order to catch and drive the tang at the bottom of the insert.
                                In addition to this and the STI tap the kit will also consist of a drill of the proper size to accommodate the STI tap.
                                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                                X