Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Today I built the cylinder head for my engine. I still have to put the slots in the cylinder head and plate right below it to make cooling fins. The only aluminum part left to build now is the gas tank mount. So, I basically have a whole engine here in six parts. Tomorrow I hope to cut the cooling fins and make the gas tank mount, then it will be on to mechanical things.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    me likee --- spent last night imagining ways to do it with one cam. I do want to get into the engine building scene
    NCF that was my first thought also - and it would be easily accomplished with just offsetting a single cam and canting the valves, but this is really as basic as it gets even though there's two cams and keep in mind with two cams Bri can then fiddle with retarding the intake and advancing the exhaust for higher RPM's power curves :-)

after sorting through this thread - this is going to be a great build - this engine is really shaping up and has a very good look to it, Brain you really can "crank them out" but quality on this one is already starting to shine through... keep it going she's a keeper...

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    You're making excellent progress Brian. Don't sell yourself short, you do more in one day than many of us do in a week!

Odd isn't that as the older we get with less time to spend on this planet we adopt a hobby that is so time intensive.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    When your main objective is to counteract boredom and engage in the pleasant process of machining, spending a whole day on one part seems like success to me.

This little piggy was just an antidote for "boar"dom, And you managed to "bear" it well!

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    And---The miserable piggy of the day award goes out to this cylinder head. It is finished except for the cutting of the cooling fins, but I've managed to put in an entire day on this part. Some days you eat the bear----Some days the bear eats you!!! The bear eat me today on this part, but I'm pleased with it.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Due to the way this engine is constructed, the swing of the con rod would hit the side of the cylinder bore on it's way to bottom dead center. This cavity in the bottom of the piston aligns with the cavity in the bottom plate which bolts to it, to give clearance for the swing of the connecting rod.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    When you are retired, you can do that kind of thing.

-D
    I AM retired.... but I also have other stuff to do around the property. And, last time I counted them up, I had about 8 "hobbies".

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    When you are retired, you can do that kind of thing.

-D

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Brian really rips into a project when he gets started. He turns out good parts rapidly.

I do not work nearly that fast, although when I get motivated I do tend to keep at it until done.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Impressive progress Brian and I trust it will continue to go well!

John

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Thank you rdfeil. This engine is a "summer surprise". I wasn't going to build another engine until fall, but these parts are rolling out of the mill and lathe and I'm liking it.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• rdfeil
    replied
    Great work Brian, as always!! That base and cylinder really look sharp!

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    We have a cylinder. It is pretty, it fits where it's supposed to, and after honing the bore with a 3 stone brake hone it measures about 1.001" bore. That's all for today folks. I will get some mounting holes drilled in the cylinder tomorrow.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Well, so far, so good. The cylinder base mounts to the main chassis. Depending on what my wife has planned for me today, I might even get a cylinder up there.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Someone needs to build a Charlie Taylor engine.
    That would be neat.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X