Clear All

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    That is a lovely engine. I hadn't seen that before.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Brian -- just for inspiration --
    Have you seen Find Hansen's models? True diesel in a 3/4" cylinder, etc...
    I don't think he uses kits either. very cool video :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvSAnpn_YHw

Just in case you wanted to see something different

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Nickel---Build a Webster. They are a simple engine, but will teach you 90 percent of what you need to build engines---and the plans are free. Dan--I pretty well standardize on bore size. One inch is my favourite bore size, mainly because that is the size of my largest reamer. I have built 7/8" bore and 3/4" and 1 3/8" bore engines, but 1" seems to be what I'm comfortable with. I find that engines with a stroke of 1 1/4" seem to go with that 1" bore size. The shorter the stroke is, the faster the engines run. I pretty well standardize on cam lift and duration, because I know what cam grind works for me, and the physical shape of the cam pretty well dictates the valve timing on the engine. I always use the same ignition points and condenser from mid 1970's Chrysler products because I am familiar with them and know what to expect from them. I like to make engines with different configurations. I have many horizontal engines with open crankshafts, both water cooled and air cooled. Some are throttled engines, some are hit and miss. I have vertical cylinder engines in both hit and miss and conventional style. I have a two cycle water cooled engine with vertical cylinder. I have engines with flat head, overhead valve, and overhead cam configurations. I have engines on which the camshaft is gear driven, and one on which the camshaft is driven by a timing belt. I have a couple of twin cylinder opposed engines. It is getting harder and harder to find engines with a different configuration that I am still capable of building with the machinery I currently have. That is why I'm designing this current T head engine. I haven't built one of those before.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    me likee --- spent last night imagining ways to do it with one cam. I do want to get into the engine building scene

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Looks neat Brian.

When you design a new engine do you follow the same recipe every time? Bore stroke, timing etc all that jazz? Just curious.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    -I added some valve springs for you.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    The Tee Head engine design is finished. Fortunately, I was able to sneak the ignition points and condenser in behind one flywheel (which is hidden in this model), without offsetting the flywheel any. I also added a gas tank and a pleasant looking mounting bracket. None of the detail drawings are made yet, but the design is finished, so detail drawings are pretty simple now.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Okay---We've got a carburetor, carb adapter, heavier crankshaft and an exhaust system. Also a set of tappet guides and two very long valves, riding in valve cages. Tomorrow I will stick a set of points and an ignition cam on it, and probably a gas tank.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    This engine has a relatively long stroke. This might yield higher peak torque during the power stroke and aid slow-speed without stalling, a wise decision.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Great progress made this morning. I decided to keep the engine air cooled. I think the grooves in the cylinder and cylinder head look good.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    They may have more "quenched" area that inhibits combustion. Pretty much all non-overhead cam designs that have valves outside the diameter of the bore will have that. Lowers efficiency and increases wasted fuel/pollution unless a stratified charge is used. And, they require double camshafts, or a more complicated pushrod scheme.

The crossflow may be better for reduced carryover of mixture to exhaust, and it may also have some advantage in "extraction" of exhaust if pipes are tuned. Would seem to mix the charge better, whether that is an advantage or not.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
    Wondering: is the T head superior to the ubiquitous L head?

-js
    The T head has some useful characteristics including the isolation of the exhaust valve heat from the inlet valve. They have also been said to have superior reliability.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by nc5a View Post
    Damn! Brian you don't mess around when it comes to engine designs. You no sooner get done with one and out comes another, well done.

Jerry are you a Gravely guy?
    Not me but a buddy of mine has an L. we've had it apart here, and I have worked on the valves, as well as head and jug, crankshaft, etc..

Leave a comment:

• Jim Stewart
    replied
    Wondering: is the T head superior to the ubiquitous L head?

-js

Leave a comment:

• nc5a
    replied
    Damn! Brian you don't mess around when it comes to engine designs. You no sooner get done with one and out comes another, well done.

Jerry are you a Gravely guy?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X