Cordless Drill Meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Drill Meltdown

I was drilling some 1/4" drain holes in some 11gauge tubing this morning and started noticing a hot plastic smell. Couple holes later the drill changed it's tone and things went sideways. I can't complain, it's only drilled a million holes and ran in god knows how many Tek screws. I just got a chuckle out of a gearbox meltdown instead of the more common electrical meltdown
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by wierdscience; 07-08-2021, 09:29 PM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Looks like the lube finally ran out. Maybe literally?
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I was working with a home builder a few years back. He asked me if all that heat generated in a hot drill bit pulled out of a piece of wood came from the batteries of the cordless drill? I replied "yes. all that and more! no machine is 100% efficient.

Heck, Teslas burn to the ground every couple of weeks if the news has it right.

Comment

It would be interesting to see the insides of that drill. I have a B&D corded drill that started running poorly, especially in reverse, and I found a sleeve bearing on the rotor shaft had worn to an oval pattern which misaligned the brushes and commutator. I had a ball bearing of the correct size, popped it in, and Bob's yer uncle!

Click image for larger version

Name:	B&D_Drill_6742_Brush_Holder.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1950536 Click image for larger version

Name:	B&D_Drill_6743_Commutator.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1950538

Name:	B&D_Drill_6750_Bushing.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1950537
        The gear train is surprisingly robust for an inexpensive 3/8" B&D hand drill:

Name:	Drill_6020.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1950540

Name:	Drill_6021.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	1950539

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
          it's only drilled a million holes and ran in god knows how many Tek screws. I just got a chuckle out of a gearbox meltdown instead of the more common electrical meltdown
          Crazy the drill puked out its guts. You definitely got the use out of that one. JR

Comment

Here's the guts of one of my Ryobi cordless drills that fell off a roof too many times. Drive train and motor are still good, but case needs some TLC (and maybe JB Weld)?

Name:	Ryobi_Drill_6393_Broken_Handle.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	1950547

Name:	Ryobi_Drill_6395_Broken_Handle.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1950551

Name:	Ryobi_Drill_6396_Broken_Handle.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	1950550

Name:	Ryobi_Drill_6399_Motor.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1950548

Name:	Ryobi_Drill_6400_Gears.jpg
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1950549
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Did something similar with an impact driver at work. Coworker spilled a gallon of latex paint on it, washed it out and we kept using it until it died. When it finally did, it was pretty dramatic, giant clouds of smoke shooting out the casing and all

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Looks like the lube finally ran out. Maybe literally?
                The gearbox itself is fine, it's the typical little two speed epicyclic type. It looks like the little prong that shifts the box between speeds broke and that let the gearbox housing (acetal) spin inside the clutch housing (nylox) . That's melted plastic running out the bottom in the pic

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                  Here's the guts of one of my Ryobi cordless drills that fell off a roof too many times. Drive train and motor are still good, but case needs some TLC (and maybe JB Weld)?

Name:	Ryobi_Drill_6400_Gears.jpg
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1950549
                  That gearbox is nearly identical to the one in the Hitachi. One of the guys at work had a similar drop test fail on a Makita 1/2 impact wrench. He filled the handle full of JB Weld plumbing repair, which is non-conductive and then wrapped it in a layer of friction tape. Works fine and it's a good save, those things are nearly $300 new.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Crazy the drill puked out its guts. You definitely got the use out of that one. JR
                    Yep, I cannot complain, it died gallantly. This one was a brush motor, the new one is brushless and supposed to have a bit more umpf behind it, should be interesting.

Comment

As long as you can still fit the old batteries to the new drill, you can hope the new one lasts as long as the old one. A mate of mine bought a new Hitachi and couldn't get along with the chuck, we swopped it for the chuck on his broken DeWalt and he is happy now.

Comment

Funny failure mode. I let the smoke out of my little beloved 12v hitachi 1/4" hex driver a while ago. Brushes caught fire while deburring some holes. Still haven't got around to tearing into it to see if I can fix it. Had the same happen to my makita drill some years ago, and replaced the brushes and all was good.

Comment

Does that one have a Rohm Chuck?

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                            Does that one have a Rohm Chuck?
                            No, it came with the typical plastic and aluminum chinese chuck. Awhile back I replaced the factory chuck with an LFA carbide jaw one. Much, much better chuck, the carbide jaws are worth it , made in France.

http://www.lfachucks.com/portable-to...ss-chucks.html

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

No, it came with the typical plastic and aluminum chinese chuck. Awhile back I replaced the factory chuck with an LFA carbide jaw one. Much, much better chuck, the carbide jaws are worth it , made in France.

http://www.lfachucks.com/portable-to...ss-chucks.html
                              I had this for a few weeks then noticed the Rohm Chuck,seems to be good. Click image for larger version

Name:	9837B905-B317-408B-9641-0781943B6096.png
Views:	242
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	1950625

Comment

Working...
                              X