Bucket head chip collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucket head chip collection?

Anybody here use one of the home depot bucket head vacuums for chip collection? do they work decent? is there a better alternative for a better value? I have a large shop vac, but it's pretty annoyingly large to wheel around the tight shop and I was looking at smaller alternatives when I came across the bucket head that uses a regular 5gal pail for a reservoir. Going to pick one up tonight for $40, unless one of you guys talks me out of it and says they're terrible, and there is a better alternative.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/buc...ets/1000666690

Wow, those got pricey. I got one a few years ago for 22 bucks I think.

Anyhow, it works ok for general cleanup stuff. I keep it by my milling machine and it does suck up chips reasonably well. Like most vacuums the hose will clog if you try to vacuum up long stringy lathe chips or try to suck up a huge pile of stuff all at once. The smallish hose is partly to blame for that I think. I would not consider it a replacement for my full size shop vac, but it's light and really easy to handle for maybe 75% of the vacuum cleaner work I do in the shop.

I do find it really handy to have around. The fact that it clips on a bucket is great when you have to use it to suck up water as you can just move it to another bucket and keep going while someone else is dumping the full ones. And if you ever use it to vacuum up something particularly obnoxious, you can just toss the bucket and replace it.

I don't know of any good alternatives though I haven't looked for any either. In my opinion I think you will easily get your money's worth.

Comment

Go to garage sales and buy a Sears Vac -5 gal in size and has a 2 inch hose.
      This one is 30 yrs old and kicks butt every day - Glad I have a spare
      I use it as a central vac now, but was a portable before. no chip blockage problem
      You do not want a vac with a bag... get one with a pleated filter..The filters cost more, but you get more air !
      Rich
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050268.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	652.2 KB
ID:	1950623
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

This looks cheap, easy and good. Going to make one myself.
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BeU4nqSJtBY

Edit: I misunderstood the original post. I was thinking of the dust cyclone that clips on a bucket.
        Last edited by Captain K; 07-09-2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks Alan. Using the bucket for the receptacle is what sold me. Great idea, simple, and why pay for something I already have lots of. I was just worried it might be a bit of a gimmick product that was only capable of sucking the money out of my wallet. Long stringy lathe chips usually get gloved into the garbage can, this would mostly be for wet mixed mill chips, and other shop related duties. My big shop vac, while it works great, it just too big to always have out on the floor. For the price I guess I guess it's not too much of a gamble, but I'd rather not just burn $40(cdn) if I didn't have to.

Rich, Ironically it was a broken 2nd hand shop vac that led me to finding the bucket head. I was buying something from market place and the seller also had a small shopvac with a broken bottom for sale. It looked to be about the right size to fit on a bucket, but it didn't fit. I thought why don't they make one that fits on a bucket....I thought I had a great idea until I googled "shop vac on a bucket" and immediately found the "bucket head" . It's been a few weeks since then, and i'm getting back to doing some more milling at home and realized I still hadn't solve my chip collection issues yet.

That's the other issue with my big one is I like having it for dry stuff. Wood chips etc. I don't want to keep switching back and forth, and using a simple bucket solves that problem. I'm at work right now babysitting a few more parts before I go, but will pick it up on my way home. I'll report back how it does.
          Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 07-09-2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
            Wow, those got pricey. I got one a few years ago for 22 bucks I think.

Allan, those are Canadian mini dollars in Dan's link as it is a Canadian Home Depot site, welcome to Canada eh.
            Always discouraging to visit US sites when shopping from Canada.

I had not seen those yet Dan and they do look interesting, looking foreword to see how it does.
            My main shop vac too works great for clearing the lathe and mill areas from chips. I have to be careful though that it does not pickup unwanted items as it does indeed suck big time!
            Better too much vac than not enough as long as I show some discretion. Only downside is that it also is large and cumbersome. This and hearing protection is advised as it screams like an F-15 on full afterburner.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I have a small shop vac I use in the shop, I think it’s a 6 gallon. I “could” use a full size on but it really would be to big.

Only disadvantage I see to the bucket one may be the hose size. The small vac I have uses a standard size hose, makes scrounging and reusing attachments easier.

Comment

Buckethead lacks showmanship (-:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

Allan, those are Canadian mini dollars in Dan's link as it is a Canadian Home Depot site, welcome to Canada eh.
                  Always discouraging to visit US sites when shopping from Canada.

I had not seen those yet Dan and they do look interesting, looking foreword to see how it does.
                  My main shop vac too works great for clearing the lathe and mill areas from chips. I have to be careful though that it does not pickup unwanted items as it does indeed suck big time!
                  Better too much vac than not enough as long as I show some discretion. Only downside is that it also is large and cumbersome. This and hearing protection is advised as it screams like an F-15 on full afterburner.
                  Ah, I completely missed the store location and the .ca in the URL. Thanks for setting me straight!

Comment

I got a Shop Vac hangup pro and hung it on the wall. It has a looong hose. I turn it on and off with a remote from Woodcraft Supply. Then just take the end of the hose where needed, clean up, and put the hose back. No need to wrestle a whole vac through a crowded shop.
                    Kansas City area

Comment

Just wondering if the smaller hose will be prone to plug up on those long stringy chips. I know that even my full size shop vac has a problem with those. A smooth hose inside wall would be an aid to preventing this.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Willy, yes , the small hose ( 1-1/4) does plug easy in my experience . I have had larger 2" hoses for many years and they stay clean and cleared.
                        The secret is to make 1 x 1 x 1 inch blocks next time you saw wood and fill a pail with them. Then when sucking up stringers, toss a block or two into the suction .
                        The size and mass of the block makes it travel very fast in the hose and when it encounters a stringer , it smashes it through.. The softer wood also grabs the sharp chip
                        at the same time --works like a charm
                        Rich
                        Green Bay, WI

Comment

I have a "Buckethead" for exactly that purpose. I tend to try and recycle my chips- not for any monetary gain, I'd just rather see the stuff get reused, rather than dumped in a landfill.

Besides, the recycling place is like four miles from here. The dump is 20.

Anyway, I'll use the big, old-fashioned B&D shop vac for the general cleanup- steel, chips, dirt, plastics, etc. and the Bucket for aluminum-only.The corrugated hose currently weighs about eight pounds, as all the corrugations are packed with lube-adhered fines, but it still picks up the chips just fine.

When the bucket's about half full, I dump it, along with other collected aluminum swarf, into some heavy feed sacks, that a neighbor, who has horses, saves for me. After I get five or six together (anywhere from three months to a year or more, depending on production- I'm a small home shop) I haul 'em to the recycler, get my $3 check, and call it good.

Doc.
                          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                            Anybody here use one of the home depot bucket head vacuums for chip collection? do they work decent? is there a better alternative for a better value? I have a large shop vac, but it's pretty annoyingly large to wheel around the tight shop and I was looking at smaller alternatives when I came across the bucket head that uses a regular 5gal pail for a reservoir. Going to pick one up tonight for $40, unless one of you guys talks me out of it and says they're terrible, and there is a better alternative.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/buc...ets/1000666690
                            I picked up a cyclone chip collector recently that is put on a double 5gal and it has worked like a champ and doesn't foul my vac filter.
                            -paul

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                              I got a Shop Vac hangup pro and hung it on the wall. It has a looong hose. I turn it on and off with a remote from Woodcraft Supply. Then just take the end of the hose where needed, clean up, and put the hose back. No need to wrestle a whole vac through a crowded shop.
                              I have one of those also. 17 foot hose, IIRC, it goes everywhere.

BUT..... the hose has a 90 deg turn where it goes into the can. It clogs there. The hose is quite prone to clogging with stringy chips, and I do not mean the long ones you hand remove. Just a couple inch ong, and it clogs.

If you do NOT use it for bigger chips, it works very well. I keep a chunk of lead, about an inch diameter and 2" long just for clearing the clogs.

The vac is awesome, the hose is way long enough, but the hose clogs easily with stuff that just IS gonna be in the shop. Partly due to being the smaller size, partly due to being corrugated plastic, partly due to the sharp 90 deg turn where it goes into the "can".

If you keep it away from chips bigger than the hose diameter, it works quite well.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Working...
                              X