Clear All

• I make chips
    replied
    When I think of buckethead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyQJH615KwA

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Anybody here use one of the home depot bucket head vacuums for chip collection? do they work decent?
    Yes Sir, I like any of the small bucket head vacs that can be found everywhere, for a Second, that might change.

No, I meant will. Off Shore Trading is changing. And no, NOT due to anything but Supply and Need. Thats all, no crazy poly sci, Polly wanna craker.

I see the days of inexpensive and imo realy reachable tools for a person like me is gone soon. That sucks for the new folks..

Easy to get the nozzel to pick up the fines, even the oil soaked fines. Sucked them right up and get to cleaning the Lathe.

Oh, that was the First part for cleaning a Lathe.

Remove the debris. Yeah, I like a lil bucket vac.. JR

Leave a comment:

• thin-woodsman
    replied
    Has anyone tried 3D-printing a hose-extension (between the hose and the nozzle) with a coarse enough mesh to stop the strings?
    My thinking is that sure, it will clog a lot, but it will be easy to unclog if it is at the end of the hose. Easier than tracking down a clog further down.
    Kinda like Rich's wood-block suggestion, only over-engineered and requiring expensive equipment

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

Joe, can you let me in on the secret to your aluminum magnet please? .
    Ha, never gave it a thought that you might be talking about non ferrous material. In that case fingers work well !

JL...............

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    I have always picked up all the long stringy stuff with a magnet and use the shop vac for the rest. Sure way to avoid clogs.

JL...............
    Joe, can you let me in on the secret to your aluminum magnet please? .

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post
    Thanks Dan for the follow-up.
    Yes long stringy chips and corrugated hose just don't get along, whether the hose is big or small it's all a matter of time.
    Glad to hear it sucks. How is the noise level. I realize this is subjective, but are you ok with it or is it borderline earplug level of higher?
    I have always picked up all the long stringy stuff with a magnet and use the shop vac for the rest. Sure way to avoid clogs.

JL...............

Leave a comment:

• Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    Simple solution guys !
    Wood Blocks .
    When sucking chips with strings, toss a few 1x1x1 wood blocks into the suction hose and it clears out the strings BEFORE they become blockages
    Has worked for me for 40 years and I have had maybe 3 or 4 blockages during that time and this is with a corrugated 20 foot 2 inch hose
    And don't wait till you have sucked up all the chips, do it immediately after sucking strings
    Rich

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    I guess we'll have to focus more on chip breakers at those prices!
    Not always easy to do though for some material.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    That link has some "absorbent" prices.... Replacing the hose for just one of the vacs here would cost $170. Considering one vac cost about $60, and the other was free (it was new, but free since I was a test user), that is a bit steep. But, to avoid clogs, maybe.

$340 to avoid "most" clogs? Hmmmmm.

The "Hang up" vac has a flaw that the new hose would not fix. At the vac end of the hose, there is a fitting going into the dust bucket. That fitting has a sharp 90 deg turn in it, to direct the air around the inside of the bucket, and not straight into the filter. It is a short fitting, only a bit over an inch long, and is not a smooth curve, so 60% of the clogs happen right there.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc Nickel;n1950697[SIZE=18px
    ]If you possibly can, find a smooth-bore hose for your shop vac.[/SIZE] I picked mine up off eBay, as I recall- not as cheap as the corrugated stuff, more like trash pump inlet hose. But it was worth every penny.

If the stuff can get past the nozzle- the smallest point- it basically never jams mid-hose. That's one of the most helpful shop-vac tricks out there. I'd wager it helps suction too, as the smoother bore reduces air friction and turbulence as well.

Doc.
    I've looked all over for smooth ID hose. Found a few but the ID's don't even come close to the bastardized shop vac sizes and the stuff isn't flexible enough for vac hose. Would have to make some PVC adapter sleeves.
    But the stuff wasn't cheap. For years I've been using an old Electrolux rubber vac hose that has minimal corrugation on the ID, almost smooth. It's worked fine but over time the oil has caused the hose to keep splitting just behind the wand. I would have to keep cutting it back. Now that hose is about four foot long ! I can barely reach the top of my mill table. Time to do something.

What I did find was a commercial pool vac hose that was smooth and somewhat flexible, but I don't think it'll hold out to oil.

This was the last hose I looked at...... not cheap ! https://toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...L_Vacuum_Hoses

JL.............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 07-21-2021, 08:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post
    Yes long stringy chips and corrugated hose just don't get along, whether the hose is big or small it's all a matter of time.
    Glad to hear it sucks. How is the noise level. I realize this is subjective, but are you ok with it or is it borderline earplug level of higher?
    That's one of the things that surprised me the most. It's actually not that bad IMO. I don't have a DB meter to quantify it, but it's about the same as my big shopvac. I wonder if there's an app I can dl to measure..... I was expecting it to be much worse TBH.

I hate loud, high pitched noises, and didn't feel the need to put on hearing protection right away, though with all things of this nature it's probably a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• RMinMN
    replied
    Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
    i HAVE ONE OF THESE. I thought about asking the manufacturer ,what is this thing supposed do? It is the weakest vac that I have seen.Edwin Dirnbeck
    Mine sucks pretty good until I get too many chips and curlies stuck in the hose. I use a wooden dowel to push some of them out and then reverse the hose and let the vacuum suck the rest out. It would be much better if the hose was smooth inside but then it would probably collapse.

Leave a comment:

• Edwin Dirnbeck
    replied
    i HAVE ONE OF THESE. I thought about asking the manufacturer ,what is this thing supposed do? It is the weakest vac that I have seen.Edwin Dirnbeck

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Finally got a chance to give it a shot after picking it up last Saturday and it SUCKS. Seriously. It actually works pretty good, and should fits my needs perfectly. I haven't tried it with any wet chips from the mill yet (hopefully get some time this weekend to run some parts and give it a test), but it did great with cleaning up the lathe bed, and other areas of the shop. I like the portability, and short hose. It didn't do too good with the long stringy ones from the lathe, but I didn't really expect it to. For everything else I was pretty impressed though.

It's little additions like this that make shop time more efficient for me, so I'm actually pretty glad to have it. Now the big guy can live in the basement and stay on sawdust duty, and I can attempt to keep the shop a little cleaner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X