Another Once Great Product Now Totally Worthless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    I've found that brake fluid will strip just about anything I spill it on.
    It will mess up most paints but it takes some time.

JL............

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

They even did away with aircraft stripper, that was the best. I would like to invite the people who caused this, to strip some paint with their preferred alternative.
      They didn't do away with it, it's still available, it just doesn't work any more. My local supply shop won't carry it anymore because those that bought it brought it back. The aircraft stripper was the best but this stuff worked good for years. One of my local auto body supply store stopped carrying it because the didn't sell enough of it. Now that stuff is worthless too.

From what I found out the people that caused this were a bunch of stupid kids that were stripping a car in an enclosed garage and were overcome by the vapors and croaked. Not the mfg. fault by any means. There were also a few other stupidity deaths related to this. They have their warnings on the can. The lawsuits ended up with the EPA making the companies remove the meth form the formula. Doesn't look like the companies have found a substitute for it that works.

JL...............
      Last edited by JoeLee; 07-09-2021, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
        I'm not much into the home brew mixes. Wouldn't know where to begin. Then how do you apply it? can you make it like a paste or jell so it can be used on vertical surfaces ?
        Looks like the consumer Kean-Strip no longer has methleyne chloride, but they still seem to make aircraft stripper which does.
        I'm not much on home brew mixes, but the can should give you a list of solvents that the stripper contains
        and I'm not sure if the list ordered in quantity.

Looked it up, the SDS has the list - http://kleanstripauto.com/resources/...S_05012019.pdf

If you're intent on making a home brew you can thicken it with Cabo-Sil which is a trade name for amorphous fumed silica, it's also known as
        Aero-Sil. It's a universal thickener that I use.
        BTW you won't get silicosis from using it, it's not crystalline silica....

Comment

Two types work... make that three.

1) Peel-away #1. A gelled lye stripper. Takes off most anything in my experience, not so good on epoxy. But I have methylene chloride, and THAT would not touch epoxy either. Kind of like "school paste", but needs to be coered with their special paper to work well. Works, but not easy to use on machine parts.

2) Peel-Away #7. Don't know what is in it, but it takes off everything I have tried t on. Easier to use than #1, and not as harmful to people. Works well with machine parts, as it is a goopy sort of stuff that can be brushed on.

3) Stuff called "Citri-strip", as long as it still has n-methyl pyrrolidone in it. Made paint jump off of metal surfaces in 2 minutes.

The other "strippers" seem to be easily replaceable with a magic marker, which works just as well, with less mess.

What they seem to be for is just to be used as a marker.... you put them on to show the areas that you need to scrape like hell with a paint scraper and sandpaper, etc. It's much cheaper, and just as effective, to just write "scrape this paint" with the magic marker on the areas you want to remove the paint from.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
            Stop drinking the paint stripper.

Someone once did and it ended poorly for them.

In the past I invented a perfectly safe table saw, it would not actually cut anything including your fingers.

Safety First

It did now sell well.

Live and learn
            Methylene chloride has caused quite a few consumer casualties when they didn't read the warnings saying use in a well ventilated area and subsequently croaked. IMO, it is an effective product but shouldn't be sold at big box stores because it is genuinely super nasty stuff, hence its working well.
            -paul

Comment

Originally posted by jcfx View Post

Looks like the consumer Kean-Strip no longer has methleyne chloride, but they still seem to make aircraft stripper which does.
              I'm not much on home brew mixes, but the can should give you a list of solvents that the stripper contains

Looked it up, the SDS has the list - http://kleanstripauto.com/resources/...S_05012019.pdf

If you're intent on making a home brew you can thicken it with Cabo-Sil which is a trade name for amorphous fumed silica, it's also known as
              The aircraft stripper is made by the same company, WM Barr.
              https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unless there's another brand of aircraft stripper that does contain the main ingredient that I'm not aware of, I would sure like to find it.

JL.....

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

1) Peel-away #1. A gelled lye stripper. Takes off most anything in my experience, not so good on epoxy. But I have methylene chloride, and THAT would not touch epoxy either. Kind of like "school paste", but needs to be coered with their special paper to work well. Works, but not easy to use on machine parts.

2) Peel-Away #7. Don't know what is in it, but it takes off everything I have tried t on. Easier to use than #1, and not as harmful to people. Works well with machine parts, as it is a goopy sort of stuff that can be brushed on.

3) Stuff called "Citri-strip", as long as it still has n-methyl pyrrolidone in it. Made paint jump off of metal surfaces in 2 minutes.

The other "strippers" seem to be easily replaceable with a magic marker, which works just as well, with less mess.

What they seem to be for is just to be used as a marker.... you put them on to show the areas that you need to scrape like hell with a paint scraper and sandpaper, etc. It's much cheaper, and just as effective, to just write "scrape this paint" with the magic marker on the areas you want to remove the paint from.
                I've never heard of that brand but I'll have to look into it.

JL.....

Comment

Well, I just looked into it...... Briefly. not cheap. I don't need a 5 gallon pail and I'm not sure if it's sold in gallons or quarts.

JL.....

Comment

Well, I just looked into it...... Briefly. not cheap. I don't need a 5 gallon pail and I'm not sure if it's sold in gallons or quarts.

JL.....
                    It absolutely is sold in gallons, and in smaller amounts for #7. The Citristrip is in quarts.

Sherwin-williams sells Peelaway in gallon pails for #1. I forget where I got the #7, may have been the same place. Peelaway is more expensive, yes. The box stores all have Citristrip, and it is not that expensive at all. But check for it still having the pyrrolidone.

Don't wanna pay? That's fine, enjoy the dental picks and so forth to remove paint fussily by mechanical scraping.....

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Well Joe, just the way it is now...

Folks gave me chit when I saw the tide changing here in Calif. I purchased some cans of stuff like the real Paint and Epoxy remover.

Hey I get it, it prolly causes... Paint to be removed. In the 'fastinist' way lol JR

Comment

It absolutely is sold in gallons, and in smaller amounts for #7. The Citristrip is in quarts.

Sherwin-williams sells Peelaway in gallon pails for #1. I forget where I got the #7, may have been the same place. Peelaway is more expensive, yes. The box stores all have Citristrip, and it is not that expensive at all. But check for it still having the pyrrolidone.

Don't wanna pay? That's fine, enjoy the dental picks and so forth to remove paint fussily by mechanical scraping.....
                        I don't mind paying for something that works.

Not so sure about that Citristrip that you mentioned. I found this video here............ https://youtu.be/QqaMmqaCaUo This pretty much sums it up for all of the over the counter strippers.

JL............

Comment

Originally posted by jcfx View Post

That data sheet is dated 2019. I'm not sure if it's the most recent.

JL...............

Comment

Every link in this thread I click on starts out with some product completely un-related to the thread or some "wouldbe" TV star" blathering. I give up on any links . :-(
                            ...lew...

Comment

I don't mind paying for something that works.

Not so sure about that Citristrip that you mentioned. I found this video here............ https://youtu.be/QqaMmqaCaUo This pretty much sums it up for all of the over the counter strippers.

JL............
                              The Peelaway 1 is pricey, BUT it is designed for removing house paint, or at least paint from mostly flat surfaces.. It does. It will, by my personal knowledge, remove at least 4 layers at one application, and I have no reason to doubt it would do as many as they claim. The paint comes off clean.

I refuse to watch 25 minutes of paint removal.... but I see from skipping to the very end that he does not like the citristrip. Maybe they removed the good part of the product.... it literally made the paint jump off a machine base I used it on, and that was two layers. It bubbled up and just came off clean.

I think that video may be misleading, since in general, car paint is intended to be resistant to coming off the car, and generally the surface is prepped well.

The stripper to use depends a lot on the paint. Epoxy laughs at methylene chloride, even though supposedly it works on epoxy. That is a lie. It does not.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Joe, you must not be in the peoples republik of kalifornia. A product like that , even one that has been castrated, is so dangerous that even looking at a picture of it can cause cancer and is banned for human consumption. Thank god the government is there to keep us safe... (disclaimer: for those unable to discern sarcasm, this is tongue in cheek...) Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X