X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
    Appears you can still buy MC on line in various quantities but there is some dispute about what quality it is. Lab Grade, Technical Grade....I have no clue what those mean.
    Generally purity.

For paint stripping, you do NOT need "reagent grade" (probably = "lab grade").

Another use for it has been in extraction of caffeine to make decaf coffee (there are newer processes now), and obviously that would need a high level of purity because it touches a "food item". So there are very likely several purity levels of it. You only need the lowest and cheapest.

Leave a comment:

• OaklandGB
    replied
    EPA says 50 -people have been killed by MC. So they proposed rule making to ban it in all commercial and consumer products. Apparently, the rule has yet to be approved after years of "rule making". Nonetheless, there are well funded groups that push this agenda so hard that manufacturers see it is a dead end and have all but eliminated it from all products without the EPA rule.

Appears you can still buy MC on line in various quantities but there is some dispute about what quality it is. Lab Grade, Technical Grade....I have no clue what those mean.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    The aircraft stripper is made by the same company, WM Barr.
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unless there's another brand of aircraft stripper that does contain the main ingredient that I'm not aware of, I would sure like to find it.

JL.....
    The stuff in the Advance Auto add has "Non methylene chloride" right on the front of the can. I hoarded a can of the good Klean Strip from the '80s. Stored on a metal shelf unit, then went to use it a few days ago. The can was empty and stuck to the shelf. It had eaten through the seam of the can bottom and of course took the paint off the shelf.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by jcfx View Post

The link to the Safety Data Sheet ( SDS ) is the manufacturer ( WMbarr ) not a retailer like your link, look at the SDS again,
    the top ingredient is Meth Chloride ( 60 - 80% ) and other solvents.
    It was for reference if you wanted to home brew.

Digging thru their site the meth chloride version is discontinued...

These guys also sell a paint remover that has meth chloride -
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=5994
    out of stock till Aug

Bottom line is you'll probably have it done quicker with heat gun and assorted wire brushes and scrapers.
    I understand that they are a mfg. of several products including the aircraft stripper.
    The woman I spoke to at the company told me that the AC stripper still contained the meth chloride, but I found out that it also no longer does. Unless they have something that they are hiding from the consumer ??

JL................

Leave a comment:

• jcfx
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    The aircraft stripper is made by the same company, WM Barr.
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unless there's another brand of aircraft stripper that does contain the main ingredient that I'm not aware of, I would sure like to find it.

JL.....
    The link to the Safety Data Sheet ( SDS ) is the manufacturer ( WMbarr ) not a retailer like your link, look at the SDS again,
    the top ingredient is Meth Chloride ( 60 - 80% ) and other solvents.
    It was for reference if you wanted to home brew.

Digging thru their site the meth chloride version is discontinued...

These guys also sell a paint remover that has meth chloride -
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=5994
    out of stock till Aug

Bottom line is you'll probably have it done quicker with heat gun and assorted wire brushes and scrapers.
    Last edited by jcfx; 07-10-2021, 10:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Did you know about the proposal to outlaw toilets? The water shortage means that the toilet, even the water saving ones, use way way too much water. So the proposal is to outlaw and stop selling them, and require a type of "latrine" type device that is being designed now.

All part of a trend.
    Probably the same state that took away plastic straws wrapped in paper and replaced them with paper straws wrapped in plastic. Such progress

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Perhaps toilet bowl cleaner or drain cleaner might work as paint remover?
    That's a great idea. Some are sodium hydroxide based (no pun)
    but some bowl cleaners are simply dilute sulfuric acid... it pays to read the label.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I haven't used paint stripper for a longtime, and I have a couple gallon jugs from 5-10 years ago, so they might still work. Another option is a heat gun or torch. I have an adapter for a propane bottle that spreads the flame to heat a few layers of steel screen to bright orange, and that seemed to work OK. Mostly I used it on old woodwork. I have some 150 year old window sashes that I had sitting outside for years, and the paint comes off pretty well with just wire brush and scraper. The wood itself is still in surprisingly good shape - I think the windows were made from cypress.

Perhaps toilet bowl cleaner or drain cleaner might work as paint remover?

Leave a comment:

• farmermachinist
    replied
    I use commercial air conditioner coil cleaner. It's mostly sodium hydroxide and intended to be diluted but works really well at full strength..... I usually go 50/50. It's available at HVAC suppliers.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied

Did you know about the proposal to outlaw toilets? The water shortage means that the toilet, even the water saving ones, use way way too much water. So the proposal is to outlaw and stop selling them, and require a type of "latrine" type device that is being designed now.

All part of a trend.
    In South Korea, they have invented a composting toilet that converts excrement into digital currency.
    https://science.slashdot.org/story/2...rency#comments

I do recommend reading the comments following the article, for cheap laughs.

I *deplore* the trend to making the world idiot-proof via lawsuits. I could go on about that..... won't even bother.
    Except to say there are some very unintended consequences.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    Could it be that today's crappy stripper is only intended to remove today's crappy paint?
    That is entirely possible.

But some, like "3M Safest stripper" do not even do that. They really only show you the area where you must use purely mechanical means to remove paint.

In general, anything that works will involve chemicals that are on "the list". It's just the way it is. Paint is designed to resist ordinary stuff. If "ordinary stuff" does not remove paint, then hard labor scraping is pretty much what you have to do.

Lye is being removed also. Even "purple cleaner" no longer contains "sodium hydroxide" (lye), although one purple cleaner available at Sam's Club still had it several months ago. The new formulation does not clean some forms of grease very well.

it's a general trend. Most people are too stupid to use stuff like that.

BTW............

All part of a trend.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Could it be that today's crappy stripper is only intended to remove today's crappy paint?

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by jcfx View Post
    So I wouldn't say that it was a once great product, you just bought the wrong stripper.
    that's a problem that has befallen many a great (and not so great) man...

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    OK, I did sort of skip through the video.

It is interesting... the pictures of the Jasco bubbling up the paint is EXACTLY what the Citristrip did when I used it. The paint bubbled up and I could remove it to bare metal by just lightly scraping a putty knife over it.

I hav a newer bottle of it, and I will go look to see if the active ingredient has been removed..... back in a few......

OK, it still has the pyrrolidone in it, but the bottle I have is from 2018. Probably by now the nanny regulators have made sure it is turned into "blunt scissors".
    I looked this info up a few weeks ago. this pretty much explains what happened and when. It was banned in 2017 but stores and warehouses were allowed to sell off the remaining inventory they had.
    Doesn't look like anyone has found a suitable replacement for what was removed and they may never ! Not every chemical has a substitute, or at least one that that works equally as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=when...4dUDCAg&uact=5

JL..............

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    OK, I did sort of skip through the video.

It is interesting... the pictures of the Jasco bubbling up the paint is EXACTLY what the Citristrip did when I used it. The paint bubbled up and I could remove it to bare metal by just lightly scraping a putty knife over it.

I hav a newer bottle of it, and I will go look to see if the active ingredient has been removed..... back in a few......

OK, it still has the pyrrolidone in it, but the bottle I have is from 2018. Probably by now the nanny regulators have made sure it is turned into "blunt scissors".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X