Name:	IMG952021070595162022.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	1950689 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210709_135413.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	872.0 KB
ID:	1950688
    I picked up an older Rockwell 15-655 drill press. I have always wanted one of these!
    While cleaning it up (had not been done in decades in my estimation) I noticed a couple of things. Why does the depth gage rod hit the head casting?
    Second, I noticed that on the motor pulley, multiple ribs are cracked. Any suggestions on what to do there - ignore? have welded?

If the pulley is iron, grind out the cracks and braze them.

Comment

Ouch!

I think the picture looks like a cast aluminium or zinc alloy. If it's aluminium I'd get it welded and then machine away any warping to restore operation. If it's a zinc based alloy? Not sure. But I'm thinking some sanding, perhaps adding pins and then a healthy layup of epoxy with long strand chopped glass fibers. Heavy on the glass to basically cast it against movement in a heavy cocoon of glass reinforced plastic. Getting a better bite on the metal is what various holes and perhaps even pins would provide.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

If you've got a big lathe, you could make a new pulley out of steel. High fatigue item, aluminum is an inappropriate material. It might be able to be welded, if it's truely aluminum and not some mostly aluminum pot-meta;.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
        X