Another homebuilt belt sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another homebuilt belt sander

This is one I built out of mostly junk several years ago. 1/2hp, 1800 rpm, 3~ motor for power. The base and motor mount are just some drop pieces of 1/2 and 3/8 steel plate. The frame pieces are some 1x1 square bar. The drive wheel is an old urethane caster wheel I pulled out of the dumpster. It had a chunk gouged out of the tire which is why it was in the trash. I knocked the bearings out and stuck it on a mandrel, then turned it down and flattened the crown out of it. I made up a keyed steel bushing, pressed it in the old bearing bore and drilled a setscrew in on an angle to lock it to the shaft.

I was going to make the idler wheels, but the water pump went out on my truck the same day and the serpentine belt idlers on the front of the engine caught my eye. They were cheaper than the bearings needed to make my own by themselves. Plus I figured if they will hold up for years running the serpentine belt under the hood of a car, they should be more than adequate for this little low tension sander. The part numbers are visible on the box in the picture incase anybody could use some.

I built it to run a 1 x 60" belt, because I wanted a deeper throat for grinding odd shaped parts with inside curves. The table angle adjustment is pretty simple, it's just a piece of steel angle with the faces milled to a perfect 90*. Bothe legs of the angle have a 3/8 x 1-1/2 long slot milled in. Bothe the table attachment bolt and the pivot bolt run in those slots, so the table can be tilted fore and aft to some pretty extreme angles. The knob under the table in the pic is just for a short set screw that holds the split table halves flush.

None of the wheels have any noticeable crown for tracking. On a belt this narrow it really isn't needed, the tracking adjuster on this one never got a knob added to it. It's only needed tracking once since I built it and not since.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by wierdscience; 07-10-2021, 06:07 PM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Oh wow, nice! I didn't even know they had 1x60. Something like this is on my list of things to do
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Video of it running using a ceramic 80 grit belt, I like the ceramic belts a lot, but now I need to add a spark arrester and dust collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knc3qK7GbSc

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
        Oh wow, nice! I didn't even know they had 1x60. Something like this is on my list of things to do
        McMaster carries AO belts in 1x60 and I just recently found them in MSC in ceramic. From MSC they were $4ish each, but a 12 belt minimum. Right now it's running at about 2500 FPM which is on the slow side. I'm looking for a 3/4hp 3600 rpm 3~ motor and I already have a 1hp VFD I can put on it.

It's well worth the time to build one, it and my homebuilt portaband stand are two tools that see a lot of daily use.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

McMaster carries AO belts in 1x60 and I just recently found them in MSC in ceramic. From MSC they were $4ish each, but a 12 belt minimum. Right now it's running at about 2500 FPM which is on the slow side. I'm looking for a 3/4hp 3600 rpm 3~ motor and I already have a 1hp VFD I can put on it.

It's well worth the time to build one, it and my homebuilt portaband stand are two tools that see a lot of daily use.
          I'm wondering if 3M has those new Cubitron belts in that size, they aren't cheap but boy so they work! I had sampled some of the cubitron as ordinary sandpaper sheets and it never failed to amaze me.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Those idler pulleys are made by a company called Efson. McMaster Carr sells them with a crown and flanges.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I'm wondering if 3M has those new Cubitron belts in that size, they aren't cheap but boy so they work! I had sampled some of the cubitron as ordinary sandpaper sheets and it never failed to amaze me.
              They list them, but don't list a distributor that has them. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/dc/v000343531/ Maybe one of the bigger abrasive houses could get them???

These are the ones I bought from MSC, they are VSM brand, made in Germany-

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/35782317

Comment

My home built belt sander is from a old Craftsman 1"x42"sander that I was given to me by the previous owner who was one of those who never throws anything away. I adapted it to a tread mill motor, so now I have variable speed control. I love the damn thing, only wishing it was a 2" wide belt. Maybe some day.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                Oregon Coast

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer
                  Steamfan- Nice design on the belt sander.
                  Turns out I had been subscribed to your
                  channel for a while, and it shows that I had
                  watched all your videos. Did not know your
                  Wierdscience name from here was the same
                  person. Yes I was thinking of a 3600 rpm 3ph
                  motor also when I watched your video. The
                  advantage of VFD drive and to slow it down
                  is that if you don't need the speed, you don't
                  have to listen to the extra noise also.
                  I like machines as quite as possible.
                  I hate how loud the factory is where I work.
                  On my time, I like quiet things.
                  By the way, I am Doozer's Shop on youtube.

-Doozer
                  Drat! My sooper secret identity is out lol. Ya, I keep the Youtube thing low key, since my channel is still in the sucks horribly phase.

I played around with the ceramic belts when I first started using them and turns out they work pretty good for roughing out HSS tool blanks and sharpening drills. Running at the current speed I couldn't make it burn an edge either, which is a nice feature. I bought one of these Viel drill grinding attachments and plan to adapt it to work on this sander as well. I can freehand drills all day long, but sometimes it's nice to have a means of quickly returning a damaged drill to factory form.

https://www.elitetools.ca/en/product...tachment-s-12/

Comment

Working...
                  X