Is this a common problem,
    only an appliance repair man
    could answer that with a large
    enough sample size.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Not hardly....... it's a large metal typical overtemp switch, with an obvious bimetal disk on the bottom. In series with the main return wire. Different size from everything I have available, and was supplied as part of the unit compressor. The only hold-down means is a spring that exactly fits it and is held in the cover.

If it was only the connections, I could solder-on flag terminals, or use straight ones if I cut the top off the cover. Or just get a proper crimper for them, which I have intended to do for a while anyhow.

There is a bad and non-available (to me) safety thermal cutoff, bad connections, and a motor which has been compromised by overcurrent which was sufficient to destroy the thermal cutoff.

I declared it "toast", pretty literally.
      That is the OL for the compressor, bi-metal disk if its not burnt up as the contacts may be it might be ok. Fix the terminals and try it out. As noted above the Chinese made de- humidifiers are junk. Those compressor terminals are plated steel would be a bugger to solder.
      Last edited by wmgeorge; 07-12-2021, 12:01 PM.
      Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

That is the OL for the compressor, bi-metal disk if its not burnt up as the contacts may be it might be ok. Fix the terminals and try it out. As noted above the Chinese made de- humidifiers are junk. Those compressor terminals are plated steel would be a bugger to solder.
        It IS burnt.... permanently open.

I'm not a total idiot.... I check contact to the terminals with meter, then measure to other one, then check contact to that one... Been around that block before. It's open/bad/dead.

Yes, plated steel, which is both good and bad.

Good, because they do not lose their springiness (for the fastons themselves) as fast when heated (regular spring brass turns to mush). Bad, because they rust.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Its toast as you said. The Chinese can not make refrigeration devices, not enough QC. I had a refrigerated chiller for my laser lasted 3 years. Could not find the leak so I gave it to the junk guy.
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Actually, I think the problem with this one started with the bad capacitor several years ago. When I noticed it was not working, it had been "trying" for some time, because it is "automatic retry", not a reset type.

I think most of the overheating happened then, starting damage to the plating and leading to rust.

It worked well for almost 11 years, and if the cheap-ass chinese capacitor had not crapped out, it would probably still be working.
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
            X