Multi Use Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi Use Machine

HM its me again. I am in the market for one last machine (yeah right) for my shop. I need to be able to notch one inch by .400 wide out of one quarter inch material. Also bend 5 inch wide by .125 aluminumn into 90 degrees. I went wonky with all the replies to my post previously bending aluminumn. Great replies thanx again everyone and when i started looking at equipment the lack of money caused me to do a double take. Im starting to think a well built press with suitable adaptors would be the way to go. I just wonder how hot a 50 ton would get when stroking 400 pieces at a time. Is this detrimental to its life span. I borrowed my friends 50 ton princess auto model and was bending 2 inch by 5 eighth material 40 at a time and it got so hot you didnt want to touch it. Do you think the press is the way to go in this application. Thanx again everyone. Mike aka Madman

Mike,

For bending those cup holders you should be able to make a simple single use brake for just that job. Some angle iron hinged and a shoe to clamp the work shouldn't be hard to figure out. You could design it to mount in a vise.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Mike,

I'm not sure exactly what you say is being heated but I'll assume you mean the hydraulic oil. You are going to get a certain amount of heat and that should be okay. If you want to reduce the temp of the oil without much cost I would make a larger reservoir. What is the capacity of the reservoir now on your friends machine?

Comment

We had a similar problem with a hydraulic shaper head that we built. The problem was the fluid, even with a resevoir, would never circulate because of the constant change in direction. In your case, the volume of the cylinder would never get changed out even with a resevoir, the last oil out is the first oil in. You need to "valve" the line with check valves/ bypass so that the oil coming out (retracting) of the cylinder flows towards the resevoir and the return oil (extending) is coming from the pump. With the proper flow path you can keep the temperature down, save the oil and the seals.

Comment

cruzinonline,

Why the check valves? On the control valve if the return goes into the top of the reservoir and the suction from the bottom of the reservoir I can't see why the oil won't circulate.
          Last edited by Mike Burdick; 04-26-2006, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Depending on your system. Our large jacks (100 tons) only have a single line. The last oil out is the first oil in and never sees the resevoir, hence it never has a chance to dissipate the heat. In the shaper head the oil would change direction with each change in stroke. It so happened that the oil coming out of the drive was pushed back into the drive on the change of stroke and never made it to the resevoir. I am not sure of your configuration, but if the oil never gets our of the line and into the resevoir, the biggest cooling system in the world will not work. The problem sounded familiar to one we had and the check valves solved it. A diagram would be much easier to explain. I can email you a diagram of what we had to do if you like. Maybe it will make more sense.

Comment

Working...
            X