OT To my fellow S Africans .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT To my fellow S Africans .

I dont think there are many of us here but I hope you are all safe. Tonight for me is going to be a very stressful time. What do you do when a mob of hundreds roam the street to your house armed with petrol cans and a box of matches .Sounds like guyn fawks with guns being fired all the time. The police have been over run.

Sounds like many American cities. Be safe.

Comment

I hope all is well with you, there is little I can do here. Please, keep posting.
      (My ancestors came to America from Netherlands in 1600,
      got on well with the local Indians, married and settled) hence my surname is *very* Dutch.
      Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 07-12-2021, 01:45 PM.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Sounds worse then Detroit.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
          Sounds worse then Detroit.
          I found this: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57803513
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
            .. . Tonight for me is going to be a very stressful time. What do you do when a mob of hundreds roam the street to your house armed with petrol cans and a box of matches .Sounds like guyn fawks with guns being fired all the time. The police have been over run.
            My former boss when I lived in New Zealand now lives in the Durban suburb of Phoenix (which is far from wealthy). I have not heard from him. Do you live close by?
            Last edited by aostling; 07-12-2021, 11:20 PM.
            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post

Peter Utting, my former boss when I lived in New Zealand, now lives in the Durban suburb of Phoenix (which is far from wealthy). I have not heard from him. Do you live close by?
              five km away

Comment

That stuff is not common at all in the US, mainstream media notwithstanding. They like to make it seem bigger and more widespread, but it ain't so. Sounds like the very worst of the riots that have occurred, such as the Watts riot a long time ago. The more recent ones here have been limited to certain areas in a few cities, often a matter of a block or so on one street near where some event occurred that gets people riled up.

SA seems like a dysfunctional state, with a lot of history that is not going away. The Boers were not good for SA. There may be other causes, the surrounding areas are not wonderful places either right now.

NCF: Same here, and "Van Dyke" is a persistent family name, but we kept the French surname.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                  I dont think there are many of us here but I hope you are all safe. Tonight for me is going to be a very stressful time. What do you do when a mob of hundreds roam the street to your house armed with petrol cans and a box of matches .Sounds like guyn fawks with guns being fired all the time. The police have been over run.
                  I can't imagine. Please do keep us updated on your status.

Comment

Stay safe Plunger, that is some scary situation.

Comment

Virtually every shopping center has been looted and burntt the ground.We have tried to organise a community watch group at short notice .My shift is two to four AM . Just me and another guy in my street . We keep hearing gunshots and big explosions.Our police force is overwhelmed and run out of rubber bullets.Our army is also poorly trained. They say they have deployed them but so far I have only seen two Nyala troop vehicles.
                      Biggest problem will be food if we get through the night okay.
                      Ive just got voice message that the cops have run out of bullets and the civilians are having to supply them. with rounds ,those that have. Intelligence on the ground says they will target the whites tommorrow. Some roving groups of mobs are as strong as 3000.

Comment

I don’t know what the hell the world is doing at the moment, I sincerely hope you are safe the plight of South African farmers is being deliberately omitted by the media world over, they have an agenda, perhaps stating the truth makes them appear racist?,

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                          I don’t know what the hell the world is doing at the moment, I sincerely hope you are safe the plight of South African farmers is being deliberately omitted by the media world over, they have an agenda, perhaps stating the truth makes them appear racist?,
                          Yup. This has been going on for years and has gotten little to no media attention while we tend to bigger issues like which bathroom to use. These people need some serious help. I read an article today that being a farmer in South Africa is the deadliest occupation in the World. Sad.

Comment

All the white or non- white south Africans I know here in Canada have escaped from there on short notice- usually overnight. My neighbor is one of them. So sad that it comes to that. During the time I spent there I (we) befriended many native Africans. We got a letter from the government at the time telling us we weren't allowed to treat them as equals. What a crock- we refused to change our ways. I still have that letter I think-. Stay safe Plunger.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Stay safe brother. I know a few immigrants from SA, and it's not a safe country at the best of times. I can only imagine what it's like these days. The videos I've seen of groups defending their communities are very eye opening. Hope it settles down soon.
                              Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X