OT To my fellow S Africans .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plunger View Post
    I dont think there are many of us here but I hope you are all safe. Tonight for me is going to be a very stressful time.
    Im sorry to hear this!! I hope things stabilize long enough for you to secure you and your family.. JR

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      That stuff is not common at all in the US, mainstream media notwithstanding. They like to make it seem bigger and more widespread, but it ain't so. Sounds like the very worst of the riots that have occurred, such as the Watts riot a long time ago.
      Your are right.. The last big one we had was the "Rodney King" riots. I was working in Los Angeles at the time. It was literally like a war zone. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Your are right.. The last big one we had was the "Rodney King" riots. I was working in Los Angeles at the time. It was literally like a war zone. JR
        I was in LA for a trade show then, and flew out of town that night. Read about it the next day.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Plunger, any update?
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Last post is over 2 days ago, which is not very encouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
              Last post is over 2 days ago, which is not very encouraging.
              Well, lets not lose hope, I don't think this is Plungers first rodeo. From the little I have seen on tv, the damages are pretty extensive, and I'd be surprised if cell service and internet are running as usual. If the mob hasn't taken out the infrastructure, the government likely has.......
              If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
              British Columbia
              Canada.

Comment

the only problem is the mob seems to be the government...

Comment

Originally posted by 140mower View Post

Well, lets not lose hope, I don't think this is Plungers first rodeo. From the little I have seen on tv, the damages are pretty extensive, and I'd be surprised if cell service and internet are running as usual. If the mob hasn't taken out the infrastructure, the government likely has.......
                  This is what I am thinking also, although I hope and pray that Plunger and family are safe. I'm sure that his whole world has been turned upside down though, make no mistake.

During the mid 50's my folks took my brother and I and immigrated to the US from the Netherlands, it was a last minute decision as they were almost ready to follow their neighbors and best friends to South Africa.
                  Fortunately my parents could see the writing on the wall even back then and elected to move to California instead.
                  There have been scores of times since then that I have been so thankful for that wise decision.

I'm sure Plunger will get back to fill us in as soon as he is able to, although I think it may be a while.
                  This from Aljazeera:

South Africans organise to confront looters, defend property

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to include Plunger and his family in some prayers.
                    S E Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                      During the mid 50's my folks took my brother and I and immigrated to the US from the Netherlands, it was a last minute decision as they were almost ready to follow their neighbors and best friends to South Africa.
                      Fortunately my parents could see the writing on the wall even back then and elected to move to California instead.
                      There have been scores of times since then that I have been so thankful for that wise decision.
                      My FIL and my grandparents were also in that group the immigrated from the Netherlands in the 50's. Ended up in Canada, but I believe that South Africa and Argentina were also on the short list. Thankful for that, but I will admit that in the midst of the pandemic and everything going on I found a sense of understanding about their motivation for leaving their birth country that I had never had before. That feeling of what's left for us after a period of hard times and how to we piece this back together. Thankfully our struggles were nothing compared to the years of war they were exiting, I never had to worry about a lack of work or being able to provide for my family through the whole thing.

Hope you're just to preoccupied to answer and that all is well Plunger. That's a tough country you live in, I don't think that many of us can truly empathize with that, but I hope that in the end there is some growth and progress after the struggle.
                      Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Plunger, Wish you good luck. I have my fingers crossed for it all to die down, All the very best from England

Comment

Here is a follow-up report from my former NZ boss. He and his Indian wife now live in the Durban suburb of Phoenix, three miles from Plunger.
                          -—-—

Yes, we still have internet, and 3 TV channels. Social networking groups contain a lot of information and misinformation - mainly the latter. Most malls and distribution warehouses have been looted and burnt-out creating shortages of basic foodstuffs, bread and so on. Local deliveries of bread, petrol etc have stopped with long queues to the few outlets with surviving stock. We took a drive this morning past long queues for petrol and groceries - any open supermarkets are only allowing foot traffic; we passed one where the queue was nearly 1km long! We passed countless burnt-out vehicle blocking roads, and had to move wirh extreme care. Numbers of schools have been looted and vandalized - beyond criminal in a country with inadequate education.

The local Phoenix community, mainly Indian, are defending everything. All vehicles coming in are stopped, and if they have what looks like loot is burnt along with the vehicle. The owner of the Phoenix Plaza has employed hundreds of minibus taxis to completely surround the Mall to stop any looting - it is one of the few remaining functioning Malls in Durban. The upmarket Gateway Shopping Theatre has been looted, as well as the new Cornubia Centre. Very sad. Entry to all local streets are barricaded by locals, and only bona-fide traffic allowed in.

The army has been commissioned at the weekend - first 2500 troops, then 5000 and now 25000 have been authorized. Too little too late. Bailey's brother lives on the edge of the other side of Phoenix - the local community is out in force, taking no prisoners. My cousin lives nearby and called her security company last night. Within minutes police helicopters were overhead and she had never seen so many police vehicles arrive so quickly to join local men. Shots rang out and bodies lay strewn on the road. The army arrived and locked down the whole area. Nobody can get in or out of Phoenix. A nearby Teacher Training Centre (200m away) was broken into last evening - and the Army arrived within minutes. Our contracted Armed Response company covers all Phoenix very effectively and will arrive within minutes of our alarm going off, giving us a sense of security. Countless lives have been lost and the financial losses are immense. As I watch on TV, forensic pathology vehicles are cruising around picking up bodies - horrific! Latest death toll unknown. This amidst the 3rd covid-19 wave.

Sadly, racism is raising its ugly head. Xenophobia. Indian wife, and industrial subgroup of Durbin South Africa.
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9YA-_ZP_1M&t=98s

Comment

For now we are okay.Dont know about my house as I moved out. Borrowed a gun which can get you locked up but gibe me a sense of some security. Totally apocalyptic. Burn and destroy and next day you have no food . I'm speechless. Thanks for the concern everyone. Biggest problem now is food and petrol

Comment

Glad you are relatively OK. It's a relief. Probably some others are not so lucky.

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Working...
                                X