No announcement yet.

OT To my fellow S Africans .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is pretty likely that any conflict between CPFs and mobs is not going to turn out well, particularly long term. What the chances really are for long term coexistence I don't know, and suspect it is pretty small. Too much history.

But if the CPFs start shooting and killing the mob members, I think we can all guarantee that coexistence is out the window for years at least. If not permanently. It will just be cycles of conflict and revenge, first one way, then the other, over and over.

Not a great situation, where results may vary between not very good, and really bad. There does not seem to be a lot of upside available. History is against this working well within the lifetime of any now alive.

It's been almost 160 years over here, and there is still a problem.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      It is pretty likely that any conflict between CPFs and mobs is not going to turn out well, particularly long term. What the chances really are for long term coexistence I don't know, and suspect it is pretty small. Too much history.

But if the CPFs start shooting and killing the mob members, I think we can all guarantee that coexistence is out the window for years at least. If not permanently. It will just be cycles of conflict and revenge, first one way, then the other, over and over.

Not a great situation, where results may vary between not very good, and really bad. There does not seem to be a lot of upside available. History is against this working well within the lifetime of any now alive.

It's been almost 160 years over here, and there is still a problem.
      The problem is poverty and overpopulation and no foreign investment because of corruption at breathtaking levels . I am getting nervous this thread is bordering on becoming a political hot potato debate which I hope to avoid. I seem to be the only S African here But you are one hundred percent right. Its a big problem. But maybe the world one day will be experiencing this all over the place.
      War over water and food recourses . Mass immigration because low lying areas have been consumed by rising sea levels etc.

Comment

• I learned in school that wars (and, on a smaller scale battles) have always been fought over 4 things. Water, food, religion and expansion. Mobs are different, as their initial motivation is often righteous but inevitably breaks down to greed and mindless outrage.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post
          I learned in school that wars (and, on a smaller scale battles) have always been fought over 4 things. Water, food, religion and expansion. Mobs are different, as their initial motivation is often righteous but inevitably breaks down to greed and mindless outrage.
          Its just the scale of it that's so mindboggling. And the mindless destruction. Why destroy schools and bloodbanks,

Comment

• Originally posted by plunger View Post

Its just the scale of it that's so mindboggling. And the mindless destruction. Why destroy schools and bloodbanks,
            Stuff that belongs to "the man", and has little relevance to the poor, who get no benefit from them. Why care about things that you have no connection to at all?

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

• interesting response to looting

https://news.samsung.com/za/samsung-...block-function
              --
              Tom C
              ... nice weather eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Astronowanabe View Post
                You don't own it despite having paid for it. (Assuming you did pay for it)

Slippery slope
                -paul

Comment

Most white S Africans my age have done military service during our border war in Angola fighting Swapo and the cubans but this is very different. We are mostly un armed
                  Glad to hear that things were not as bad as expected. Tough days for you folks, if the threats from the terrorists keep you home then they are achieving their goals in many ways, but to ignore their actions there is a real danger of harm. No easy answers there.

Did you also do military service during the border wars? I’ve been trying to educate myself on that history in order to get a better understanding of the situation, but it’s a lot to take in and understand if you didn’t live it. So many different parties involved and supported by different governments, sometimes secretly and sometimes openly. SA turned into a pariah because of racist policies but at the same time fighting for its life to avoid the fate of Rhodesia, Mozambique, and Angola as they fell under communist influence. And a lot of it unknown to the general public because it’s not taught in history classes.
                  Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• In the early 70's the state of Oregon was generally run by "the mob", wise guys, the sopranos. The governors election was won by a reformer running on a get the mob out of the government platform plus a "don't Californicate Oregon" war cry. Old school Oregonians don't like California and its effect on them. Four years latter the people wanted the Mob back running things. They might be corrupt but they did get things done, the elected gov. couldn't.

Unfortunately after the big quake in 88 they were overrun with Californicators trying to escape the earthquake threat, Basically Oregon was ruined by them.
                    Last edited by loose nut; 08-24-2021, 07:51 PM.
                    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• The thing about corrupt government is that it often "works". If it did not, they would be thrown out. Of course, it only works for things that are OK with the corrupt officials. Anything else gets ignored.

It works because there are penalties for it not working.... much as with china. There is a 9mm solution to failure.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom S View Post

Glad to hear that things were not as bad as expected. Tough days for you folks, if the threats from the terrorists keep you home then they are achieving their goals in many ways, but to ignore their actions there is a real danger of harm. No easy answers there.

Did you also do military service during the border wars? I’ve been trying to educate myself on that history in order to get a better understanding of the situation, but it’s a lot to take in and understand if you didn’t live it. So many different parties involved and supported by different governments, sometimes secretly and sometimes openly. SA turned into a pariah because of racist policies but at the same time fighting for its life to avoid the fate of Rhodesia, Mozambique, and Angola as they fell under communist influence. And a lot of it unknown to the general public because it’s not taught in history classes.
                        Yes I did two years in infantry, of which I spent fifteen months up on the South west African/ Angola border. After my two year stint i did three months a year doing it again and then one month a year alternately. This was too keep you battle ready. We did this for twelve years but it eventually it fell away. We were a very well trained ,very efficient army supporting a very unjust cause of apartheid.
                        But at eighteen you don't know any better because you were brainwashed and fed wrong information. It was two years national service or three years jail, but worse than that is if you chose not to go your community would look down on you as a coward and traitor to your country.

Comment

Yes I did two years in infantry, of which I spent fifteen months up on the South west African/ Angola border. After my two year stint i did three months a year doing it again and then one month a year alternately. This was too keep you battle ready. We did this for twelve years but it eventually it fell away. We were a very well trained ,very efficient army supporting a very unjust cause of apartheid.
                          But at eighteen you don't know any better because you were brainwashed and fed wrong information. It was two years national service or three years jail, but worse than that is if you chose not to go your community would look down on you as a coward and traitor to your country.
                          Unjust as it was, was South Africa much more stable and safe back then? Today it sounds like a very dangerous place to live.

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post

That's GREAT news. I wonder if the central government will consider disbursing some of their arms to the CPFs so that they can at least have a decent chance of pushing back an assault.
                            No chance in hell. Already the weapons we have handed in during amnesty have landed up in the hands of criminals. The very weapons the crooked cops have sold to gansters have been used to kill some cops.
                            Norwood police station had 300 weapons disapear.
                            I dont think you realize just how corrupt this country is. Its sad because S Africa is really beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                            X