Hammer and rope trick for stuck bolts or nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer and rope trick for stuck bolts or nuts

I've used this trick many times but finally made a video of it to share. I am sure many of you already know the trick but I like to share for those that don't. Always trying to make work easier.

https://youtu.be/hgdDh0jb3rA
    Andy

Useful trick. But not for a nut or bolt that is really "stuck", just where the wrench cannot be grasped well enough.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Agree.The "stuck" ones I have had would break that rope.

But when you cannot get any leverage on it, it's a neat idea. You want a stout rope. Some of them are so springy you may as well try a marshmallow.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Huh, cool idea, if only for the fact that it keeps you from breaking your knuckles when the bolt breaks free

Comment

A slide hammer might be better: far more impact. It can be improvised.
          Cheers
          Roger

Comment

Yup, when you can't reach something well enough to use other means this does work.
            Although I've always used a chain as it does help impart a more firm impact, it all depends on the requirement as to what's needed to get the job done.
            Good trick though.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Good tip!
              Cheers,
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                Although I've always used a chain as it does help impart a more firm impact,..........................
                Good idea, Takes care of the "spring problem" for sure.

An added plan might be to enclose the chain by wrapping it or sliding it into a tube, like some bicycle lock chains. That may keep it from damaging or marking parts around it

Comment

I guess whatever works --- Iv directly had to hit wrenches to do the same , i might add it's kinda sketchy as most wrenches have a 15 degree angle, you can kinda compensate when hitting them directly and also holding the wrench in a different area but using a rope or chain you cause the wrench to go all wonky and that can lead to rounding off the bolt head...
                  believe it or not I look at all the "room" in the example of the video and think there was ample to get it done directly as in using a hand --- or two on the wrench itself,,,,, but then again i been in so many tight spots iv trained my body to be a contortionist of sorts...

Comment

I think it is sketchy to do with an open end wrench, but perfectly fine with a box wrench, which is not going to round anything unless the bolt is made of damp cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      I think it is sketchy to do with an open end wrench, but perfectly fine with a box wrench, which is not going to round anything unless the bolt is made of damp cheese.
                      Box has a huge advantage even in a 12 point - but like I just stated they also have a disadvantage in the fact that they are usually 15 degree's offset for hand operating clearance, this effect can be felt when using by hand and like I also stated "compensated" but when a rope is connected? and connected to just the very end of the wrench and therefor maximum offset deviation? not so good,

fact is - and iv turned millions of fasteners,,, you cannot beat having a "hands on" for the feeling of the elasticity of the materials your dealing with... many a time I would have "folded the wrench over and off to the side" had I not had a feel for what was going on and used another hand for "bracing corrections", same goes for using ratchets even with a shallow well socket but esp. of course deep or with any kind of extensions...

No offence but Not something someone can just step right in and make an "observation statement" with JT ...

Comment

Box end works well but one does need to keep the rope/chain in alignment with the wrenches offset to keep it at it's optimum geometry.
                        The big issue here is using a 6 point box end, most seem to be 12 point. The twelve points are popular due to being able to get onto a nut or bolt in tight or confined spaces where one does not have the luxury of lots of swing room. However when you really have to lean on them or hit the end with a hammer blow they are certainly not your friend.
                        The combination wrenches I have that have a 6 point on the box end are life savers and invaluable tools that seem harder to source. You won't find them too often at most retail outlets but definitely worth going out of your way if one does any serious wrenching.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Some might say the best of both worlds are the 6 point box ends ratchet wrenches --- although you don't want to go hitting on them - the flex pivot heads in these tools add yet another great option of being able to "pull direct"

the down falls are not as rigid and also the box end takes up a little more room so might not always be able to fit in tight area's

Comment

The reason why I do not like methods like this is that you have no "feel" for what's taking place, and believe me when your "oh fuque" moment finally arrives (and believe me also - it will) then your really screwed and especially if it's in a difficult place to remove,,, so stick with being able to "feel" whats going on --- especially when there's ample room to begin with...
                            I almost never round off a bolt or nut head - there's simply no reason too and it makes things 10 times worse so if your not immediately getting it then it's time to use another trick like heat or penetrating oil and patients,

Same goes for "camming out" phillips head screw's --- how could it possibly help you to go up and godzilla a screw head so it makes it more difficult to remove? NEVER push a phillips head to the point of camming out --- get a feel for it, if you have reached that point to where your felling an extra degree or two of driver movement and yet nothing is happening to the screw then STOP! regroup - try something else,

related note --- had a guy bring me a motorcycle carb a few weeks back, he could not get the float bowl off --- all the phillips heads were cammed out, a couple had access to the point where I could have used vise grips but did not even need too,
                            so took the unit and put it on the bench and also against the vise so it could not rock, got some valve grinding compound and put it on the tip of the screwdriver and a little dab in all 4 screws and one by one worked at them till I got them all loose - zero camming out even though the screws were butchered... lot's of patience and tons of elbow grease... they were on there --- but all had access to the threaded side that also allowed me to put penetrating oil in...

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                              Yup, when you can't reach something well enough to use other means this does work.
                              Although I've always used a chain as it does help impart a more firm impact, it all depends on the requirement as to what's needed to get the job done.
                              Good trick though.
                              I would have to agree, either a chain or more preferably a straight bar or slide hammer. I see too much rubber band effect using the string.
                              A solid connection would be best.

JL..............

Comment

Working...
                              X