• Show
Clear All

• repoman
    replied
    Thanks for the responses, I'll check up on the businesses listed-

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied
    If you don't have tolerances to hold, most plating shops will polish them. Part of their job is polishing, unless you want a satin look, then use bead blasting, but I have no idea who to go to for that service. You also have to consider how much material has to be removed to achieve the desired finish. If it is a lot, you might want to purchase cleaner stock or change fabrication process.

I have used Mara Chrome Plating in Newark NJ. They polished aluminum covers for me on the buffers, looked damn near as good as chrome.

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by repoman View Post

Did you have the surface more or less perfect before anodizing?
    It wasn't required for the job. I think they can do that finishing, give em a call.

Leave a comment:

• repoman
    replied
    Originally posted by gellfex View Post

While a local place would be best, you may need to ship them to a shop that does that all. I've had small lot anodizing done at a local NJ shop, http://bmfinishers.com/ They had like a $150 minimum.
    Did you have the surface more or less perfect before anodizing?

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by repoman View Post
    I have some parts that I need to get to a 'professional' level of appearance. This would be a uniform surface that is highly polished. Does anyone have any recommendations about processes I should seek out in a company that can do something like this at a small level? Batches would be 5-10, they are about 1.25" x 30" with a 4"5" aluminum plate welded on one end. I'm trying to find advice about things like media blasting, media tumbling, anodizing, electro polishing, most of the companies I've looked up in my area seem to only deal with large contracts like medical and military.

I've been sanding the pieces by hand and then polishing by hand, but it is a lot of nasty work and would prefer to have a professional shop do it, do places like this even exist? Sorry if this sounds so basic, I sort of don't know where to begin looking.
    While a local place would be best, you may need to ship them to a shop that does that all. I've had small lot anodizing done at a local NJ shop, http://bmfinishers.com/ They had like a $150 minimum.

Leave a comment:

• DR
    replied
    Yes, there are companies that do polishing. The small outfit I use does aluminum polishing and pre-plating polishing of other metals that are to be chrome plated. They know all the local platers and anodizers so they know who is doing good work.

In general anodizing and plating shops can be a nightmare. Those shops can ruin or lose your parts with no recourse for you. It's a dirty, nasty, toxic business and the people involved in it can be less than the best people to deal with.

I had a bad experience with a chrome plater recently. The polisher did 200 brass parts for me. I took them to the chrome plater, when I went back to get them there were only 100 pieces. The plater foreman swore up and down that I only delivered 100 pieces, He said he racked then himself. so he knew how many there were. The polisher was able to verify the 200 count, the missing parts had fallen off the rack in the plating tank.

Leave a comment:

• repoman
    started a topic Alumum finishing service advice?

Alumum finishing service advice?

I have some parts that I need to get to a 'professional' level of appearance. This would be a uniform surface that is highly polished. Does anyone have any recommendations about processes I should seek out in a company that can do something like this at a small level? Batches would be 5-10, they are about 1.25" x 30" with a 4"5" aluminum plate welded on one end. I'm trying to find advice about things like media blasting, media tumbling, anodizing, electro polishing, most of the companies I've looked up in my area seem to only deal with large contracts like medical and military.

I've been sanding the pieces by hand and then polishing by hand, but it is a lot of nasty work and would prefer to have a professional shop do it, do places like this even exist? Sorry if this sounds so basic, I sort of don't know where to begin looking.
Working...
X