Mag Drill Based Drill Presses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag Drill Based Drill Presses

While magnetic drills have many great uses, they are held back by their limited throat depth. I overcame this problem for my mag drills by fabricating drill press stands for them. I used 50 lb. bases from Walker Turner 15" drill presses, tilting tables from Delta DP200s , and 2 3/4" OD - 1/4" wall DOM (drawn over mandrel) steel columns 48" long. Other than the columns, all parts were purchased on eBay.

One mag drill has power down/up feed, and the other has variable speed with reversing. Both have two speed gearboxes and a 2" annular cutter capacity. I put these together before I bought my Bridgeport mill, but still use them extensively. They can be quickly lifted off the stands for use elsewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	table adj 1.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1951519 Click image for larger version

Name:	table adj 2.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	1951520 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9124.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	532.4 KB
ID:	1951521 Click image for larger version

Name:	weld.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1951522

How did you true up the base the mag drill sits on after you welded it to the column?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Only issue is that they are damn noisy!
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
        Only issue is that they are damn noisy!
        I agree with the noise issue. I've never used one that was even close to being reasonably quiet. But it's a cheap and dirty way to multi purpose a mag base drill. Well done Tmate, what else you got in your bag of tricks?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          How did you true up the base the mag drill sits on after you welded it to the column?
          They are within a degree or so of being perfectly perpendicular to the table, which is fine for my purposes.

Another point: Because there are two of them, I can adjust both tables to the same height and drill the ends of long stock that can't easily be held in a single vise.

Comment

A degree out of square is HUGE in metalworking.

-D
            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              A degree out of square is HUGE in metalworking.

-D
              Good point -- that didn't sound right. Just checked them, one is out 1/10 of one degree and the other is dead on. My Walker Turner drill press (pictured) flexes 2/10 of a degree when drilling a 1/2" hole in steel. Hard to say how much today's Chinese drill presses flex. If I want to rule out any flexing or inaccuracy I can always use the mill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Walker Turner Hybrid.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	1951539 Click image for larger version

Name:	7 inch platform.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	1951540

Comment

I’d have welded a plate on the end of the vertical tube and tapped the thick plate for bolts so you could easily shim it to perfect tram.

Comment

Working...
                X