Completed 2" x 72" Belt Grinder Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completed 2" x 72" Belt Grinder Project

Here is a 2" x 72" belt grinder I built using a kit furnished by Brian House. I used a 2 hp Baldor 3 phase motor with a VFD running on 220 V single phase. I made a plywood enclosure to capture most of the grinding debris. The motor is totally enclosed and is unaffected by the grinding dust, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9581.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	1951532 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9584.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	1951533 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8925.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1951534 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8933.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1951535

Nice! I recently purchased the laser cut parts from him. I was impressed by the quality.
    I’m going to change the design somewhat for the tube within the tube connection.
    I’ve started the build but paying things get in the way, although this tool will eventually pay for itself.

Looks like you did a great job.
    What VFD did you use?

Sid

Comment

I used a KBAC 27-D VFD on this, and a 2nd one on my Bridgeport J head. I made one change - where House uses 3/4" nuts on a threaded rod to space the support tubes apart, I used a 3/4" ID drill bushing the correct length instead. See photo.

Name:	IMG_9533.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	1951551

Comment

Very nice looking kit, I need to build one of these myself.

Zooming in one your first photo I noticed that the two main vertical uprights are just tacked to the base, along with the horizontal slider mounts.
        I take it you are not finished yet at this point?
        Those things are so damn handy. I can see one in my future.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
          Very nice looking kit, I need to build one of these myself.

Zooming in one your first photo I noticed that the two main vertical uprights are just tacked to the base, along with the horizontal slider mounts.
          I take it you are not finished yet at this point?
          Those things are so damn handy. I can see one in my future.
          I have used it pretty extensively with just the corners fairly heavily tack welded. I weighed adding weld material against warping the base. I can always add more if needed. The pivots have some welds not visible in the photo.

Comment

Very nice build. I bought the plans to build Jeremy Schmidt 2" X 72" but haven't started it yet. I like the dust collection box you added. I've built dust collection boxes foe special jobs and found they work pretty good if you have a good vacuum and they aren't way over size for the suction produced. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmate View Post

I have used it pretty extensively with just the corners fairly heavily tack welded. I weighed adding weld material against warping the base. I can always add more if needed. The pivots have some welds not visible in the photo.
              Not a problem, I don't like to over weld either for the very reason you mentioned. I probably would have gone just a tad longer, maybe a 1/4" around the corner on each side but hey if it's doing the job as is, any more is just a waste. A well executed tack is just as strong as a bolt of equal size. They can be deceptively strong for their size.
              A very nice project and a very useful addition to the shop. Thanks for posting the project, it looks to be a well designed kit.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Looks awesome.

Comment

Every shop need a 2x72 grinder, one of my most used tools. Nice job.

Comment

Congratulations on the build! I had wanted one of these for years. I just kept doing things that “got the job done”. A recent addition of a cnc plasma table made a 2x72 belt grinder a necessity, so had just built one based on a few videos i had seen. I don’t know how i got along without one!

Name:	42F346E0-53C9-42A1-AC23-DFB7CF375DEF.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	1951636

Comment

Nice Job
                      I built the Jeremy Schmidt version
                      I liked his design where everything was center lined which for me made the most sense...
                      Plus he has multiple additional accessories to add...
                      The only change I made after building his was the tensioner assembly and the platen..Its closer to something he has now designed in his latest unit...
                      paul

Comment

Originally posted by Texasbowhunter View Post
                        Nice Job
                        I built the Jeremy Schmidt version
                        I liked his design where everything was center lined which for me made the most sense...
                        Plus he has multiple additional accessories to add...
                        The only change I made after building his was the tensioner assembly and the platen..Its closer to something he has now designed in his latest unit...
                        paul
                        Wow, thanks -- I had never heard of this, so I googled it -- and now i have another project. Very impressive!
                        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                        X