Clever application of 3D printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clever application of 3D printing

I have just noticed a number of ebay ads for these locking devices for SB, Atlas and some other lathes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203526392...r=503910632470
    Last edited by old mart; 07-15-2021, 04:39 PM.

Reminds me of the Briggs tool that holds the flywheel/fan.

If it holds up it ought to work fine. Holds enough teeth that it should be OK, and it is not likely to strip the bull gear, as 1) it should "give" until all teeth are about even as far as force applied, and 2) it should fail before the teeth anyhow..
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I like the thought of being to actually hold the zamak bull gear on the Atlas without stripping all the teeth off. I will have a word with my friends with printers, the postage across the pond is more than I'm willing to spend.

Comment

This inspired me to make one for my Craftsman/ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001[1].JPG
Views:	458
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1951892 Atlas.

Comment

It gives me a smile as more of you accept 3D printers.

Comment

Stu, I recon I can machine one like yours on the rotary table on the mill. The tooth count is 69 and the OD is 6", I would get hold of a slab of plastic 20mm thick and 200mm square. With enough teeth engaged and soft material, they wouldn't have to be perfect.

Comment

I wonder if the CAD files for them may be available from Thingverse or some other network source.

No I just looked on Thingverse and could not find anything like them. I may make one and upload it.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                I wonder if the CAD files for them may be available from Thingverse or some other network source.

No I just looked on Thingverse and could not find anything like them. I may make one and upload it.
                Paul, I'd be happy to share mine.

Comment

I've had a couple ABS parts printed for use on my mill (spindle lock) and they do not last very long from regular use.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman View Post
                    I've had a couple ABS parts printed for use on my mill (spindle lock) and they do not last very long from regular use.
                    is that surprising? the stresses of a spindle lock (presumably a pin in a bore) wouldn't work well if it was a part milled from a solid chunk of ABS bar stock, either.
                    -paul

Comment

I have a block of nylon 6, 20mm thick, 200 X 100mm on order from ebay, only £12 delivered, to play with. It could make 4, so I have plenty of chances to get it right. I must have a look at the dividing plates for the RT, 69 or increments of 5 degrees 13 minutes. I was thinking of having the axis of the RT horizontal and standing the section of nylon off so that a cutter could reach the concave turned surface. I recently needed to reach into a difficult area and put an er11 collet with a 16mm shank into an er25, which worked well with a sharp cutter and small cuts. I don't have the exact cutter profile, but do have a 5 degree taper one with the right diameter end. Stu has about 15 teeth on his and that looks plenty strong enough for me.

Comment

On the flip side, the 3D printed part costs .50 cents to print in material, I’d use PETG. When it breaks, make another.

Comment

Originally posted by psomero View Post

is that surprising? the stresses of a spindle lock (presumably a pin in a bore) wouldn't work well if it was a part milled from a solid chunk of ABS bar stock, either.
                          The fragility of the ABS printed part was surprising, my mill is small and the spindle lock doesn't require a large amount of torque. If the part had been made of ABS stock I have no doubt it would still be working. The 3D lock I was using was about 4x4x1 inch, it took something like 10 hours to print. I'm just saying my experience with things like these where there are repeated loads (even small ones) on 3D printed stuff can be a bit iffy. I think there was much more engagement with the part I had for my mill than the teeth on this part for a lathe lock.

Comment

Printed parts are often honeycombed inside to save material which could weaken them in high stress conditions. In this particular application, the teeth would be in solid form and having the stress spread over 15 teeth seems plenty strong enough to me. A splndle lock for a mill would probably be at a smaller radius which multiplies the forces.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman View Post
                              The fragility of the ABS printed part was surprising.
                              ABS is known to delaminate so you might want to try PETG or reorienting the part in the slicer if it failed along layer lines - if you haven't tried that already. Some of the different infill options provide greater strength, e.g. the honeycomb design. Assuming your spindle lock isn't actively being battered by the monkey operating the mill in your absence, the 3D part should be strong enough - I would expect it to wear out fast, not break, so might be a problem with the printing.

Comment

Working...
                              X