Clever application of 3D printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old mart View Post
    Printed parts are often honeycombed inside to save material which could weaken them in high stress conditions. In this particular application, the teeth would be in solid form and having the stress spread over 15 teeth seems plenty strong enough to me. A splndle lock for a mill would probably be at a smaller radius which multiplies the forces.
    I printed it with 40% infill and 4 exterior walls, which made the teeth solid (no infill). It appears to be plenty strong in this application with the forces spanning the layers. I tried it several times so far and there are no marks on the teeth or the end where it bears against the head stock. So I'm a happy camper and don't have to worry about wrecking the bull gear

Comment

Took a college course in 3 D Printer design and it's amazing what can be done in the design , especially using stress analyses from Solidworks CAD Tools.
      We had to design and redesign a concept many times to improve strength and then used the Material Lab to destroy our work
      Design, Honeycomb fill, Material, PROCESS and stress analysis all go into a good part that will exceed your expectations.

The "gear plugs" are a great idea for HSM'ers

Rich
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by thin-woodsman View Post
        ...................... so you might want to try PETG or reorienting the part in the slicer ...................
        +1 as an example of solving problems with 3 D
        Rich
        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post

I printed it with 40% infill and 4 exterior walls, which made the teeth solid (no infill). It appears to be plenty strong in this application with the forces spanning the layers. I tried it several times so far and there are no marks on the teeth or the end where it bears against the head stock. So I'm a happy camper and don't have to worry about wrecking the bull gear
          If you use it every time you remove the chuck and use a strap wrench on the chuck, it and the bull gear should last many years.

Comment

I have got hold of a 20mm thick piece of nylon 6, 200mm by 100mm. This was cut into 3 parts and I have got almost to the stage of producing the threads to fit the bull gear. The three parts were attached to the 9" faceplate which has multiples of 6 tee slots and slots. They are held 30mm above the plate surface to enable the milling cutter to reach and the inside bore diameter is the same as the root diameter of the bull gear. I made a plug gauge out of an old vee pulley which can be held on the axis of the rotary table to refit the pieces as two of them have to be removed for access to mill the one still attached. The other problem was the reach from the spindle. I had a piece of ground steel bar 18mm diameter and 260mm long which would fit in an R8 collet and I bored one end 10mm to take a 10 degree tapered milling cutter. At that length, the runout is 0.004" which won't matter with soft nylon, fortunately. I haven't got any further, so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP2814.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	1954131 Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP2815.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	1954132

Comment

Just as well there were 3 as the first is not very good, the second is fitted to the Atlas and the third is unfinished, but fits the bull gear nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP2818.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	1955335

Comment

Working...
              X