New project. 1980 F250 4x4 work truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project. 1980 F250 4x4 work truck

Made the same year I was born, friend selling it to me. His other friend destroyed the engine. It’s getting a new engine at the shop. Either a 351W or a 400. 4x4.
    I’m going to do all the body work, buying patch panels and TIG welding. I’d use a MIG but I own only a TIG.
    I’ve been in heaven ever since I discovered the LMC catalog. Going to need new floor pans, rockers, cab corners, front left fender and left door patch on the extra left door I have. Parts are plentiful and cheap for these old trucks, gotta love it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	AE79D133-BA5A-4D8F-93B3-CCA04362E038.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.64 MB ID:	1951919 Click image for larger version  Name:	40F9B8D6-AB93-4604-86AE-8ECEB7C65FA5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.52 MB ID:	1951917 Click image for larger version  Name:	E04F0F6C-694F-4BC7-A893-AA324BD1AA33.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	6.28 MB ID:	1951921 Click image for larger version  Name:	4200F9A1-4B46-4764-AA0A-F654E1EDF4C2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.29 MB ID:	1951918
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C9913FC2-9001-4C4C-8569-8105D79F9180.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.71 MB ID:	1951920
    Last edited by RB211; 07-17-2021, 12:40 PM.

NIce! Had one of those (F350 SRW) for a shop truck back in 1997 or so. Had the 7.3 international diesel with 4-spd granny tranny. NP435/NP205 combo gearboxes. Couldn't break that thing, instead it just rusted apart, literally. But damn it was STRONG.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

You are somewhat eccentric I suspect (-:
      I was born in 1959 and have zero interest in any vehicle produced before 2010 or so, a ten year old used cars is my limit.

Comment

👍 My dad had an '83 F150 with the 300 six and a 4-speed so I have a soft spot for that era of trucks

Isn't everyone on HSM eccentric? 😁

Comment

The 300 straight 6 was one of Ford's best engines. Not great on mileage, but lots of power and would go forever.
          Kansas City area

Comment

very neat! That'll keep you out of trouble for a while

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
              NIce! Had one of those (F350 SRW) for a shop truck back in 1997 or so. Had the 7.3 international diesel with 4-spd granny tranny. NP435/NP205 combo gearboxes. Couldn't break that thing, instead it just rusted apart, literally. But damn it was STRONG.
              No rust on the frame, just the cab. It already spent its last winter in Maine, will never see salt again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                You are somewhat eccentric I suspect (-:
                I was born in 1959 and have zero interest in any vehicle produced before 2010 or so, a ten year old used cars is my limit.
                I wanted something that was cheap to keep going forever. It’s also a kick ass off-roader. Front and rear Posi.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                  No rust on the frame, just the cab. It already spent its last winter in Maine, will never see salt again.
                  Lucky you!

Comment

That project should keep you busy for quite a while. Hows the garage clean out project progressing?

Being from New York state I have seen/owned more than my share of rusty vehicles. I have a real appreciation for the condition of the vehicles here in South Carolina, tons of 80's vintage pickups on the road, most all original with no restoration work.

Actually the TIG is a better way to repair/replace panels. Those TV shows doing high dollar restorations seem to always use tig for panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                      That project should keep you busy for quite a while. Hows the garage clean out project progressing?

Being from New York state I have seen/owned more than my share of rusty vehicles. I have a real appreciation for the condition of the vehicles here in South Carolina, tons of 80's vintage pickups on the road, most all original with no restoration work.

Actually the TIG is a better way to repair/replace panels. Those TV shows doing high dollar restorations seem to always use tig for panels.
                      I’ve been in Maine, or at work, guess you can call me an official “snow bird”. My shop WILL need to be cleaned out. Better yet, I need to probably find some other place to have a workshop with 3x the floor space, or simply rent a space to work on the truck. Yeah, that would make more sense…

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

You'd be amazed how much you can get for a clean square-body GM pickup in Buffalo nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

You'd be amazed how much you can get for a clean square-body GM pickup in Buffalo nowadays.
                          One just sold at auction, 76 miles, original for 96,000.
                          My truck is same thing as original Bronco, which are collector items. Clearly mine isn’t original, hell the front bumper is from a 70’s Chevy!! Ever since I got to Maine, I’ve been drooling over it. Apparently so has my wife, as she suggested we buy it!!!
                          Last edited by RB211; 07-17-2021, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Few more photos, looks like it has a C6 tranny.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	1CD23463-FAEC-4ECB-8AF6-A79D6CAA1603.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.47 MB ID:	1952059 Click image for larger version  Name:	AE4130D2-DD02-44B7-AA2F-0BC2CEEA34FF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.17 MB ID:	1952061 Click image for larger version  Name:	EFCAD2B1-7719-43B2-AA7F-FDD15060ACE4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.69 MB ID:	1952062
                            Last edited by RB211; 07-17-2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

There was something about those old Ford 300-6 cylinder engines back in the eighties. I bought one new in '89 with a 4 speed granny. I put 300,000 miles on it and traded for something newer.. About ten years later I saw it at a service station, still clicking along. Talked to the owner and he didn't believe me about the mileage. Apparently the dealer had had changed the speedo or something. It was the same truck because of a peculiar paint scheme. The only thing it ever needed was a pan gasket and a couple of clutches. It still looked good. They don't make them like that any more..
                              Sarge41

Comment

Working...
                              X