Storage for Reddi Rod and small rods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage for Reddi Rod and small rods.

Just picked up more stuff from storage from my old shop.
    .now if I dont put it in avisible location i wont find it when I need it.
    so i made a few of these.. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210717_171510.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	741.8 KB
ID:	1952072 how are you guys storing yours?

When I saw rod I automatically though welding rods. I have stuff stored on racks above my overhead doors, under one of my old welding benches and in every corner of the shop.
    I do have everything inventoried so I know exactly what I have, how much of it, where and when I bought it and what I paid for it. I do however have my TIG rods well organized.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TIG-Rod-Tubes.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1952090

JL.............

Comment

Here is the mess I have, the rods are in the PVC pipe. Click image for larger version

Name:	CCA1C62B-409B-4194-96F0-71DFD18F3848.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	802.6 KB
ID:	1952112

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
        Here is the mess I have, the rods are in the PVC pipe. Click image for larger version  Name:	CCA1C62B-409B-4194-96F0-71DFD18F3848.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	802.6 KB ID:	1952112
        I made a few PVC cans for my 36" fillers for the TIG. I dont do any stick welding anymore {

For my cans I just bought some tube, glue and threaded fittings, inside thread for the caps. . Like everyone does. Thats how I learned it..

The tubes ar cheap and work as well as anything on the market. HSM....JR
        Last edited by JRouche; 07-18-2021, 01:47 AM.
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

P.S> I love that shop.

Comment

I used black painted 6061 tubing. I wanted horizontal , to much crap on the floor. And now I can put a 7 inch piece in it and still see the end of it.

Comment

That welding rod storage rack looks very nice. It is always so much easier to store things that all share at least one dimension.

Now, I guess you are going to tell us that the handle in the middle makes it easy to carry the rack to the job. I want to see a picture of you doing that.

Seriously, I have an ongoing battle to organize my shop and I love to see these threads about the different ways others do it. Keep them coming.

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
              When I saw rod I automatically though welding rods. I have stuff stored on racks above my overhead doors, under one of my old welding benches and in every corner of the shop.
              I do have everything inventoried so I know exactly what I have, how much of it, where and when I bought it and what I paid for it. I do however have my TIG rods well organized.

Name:	TIG-Rod-Tubes.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1952090

JL.............
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                That welding rod storage rack looks very nice. It is always so much easier to store things that all share at least one dimension.

Now, I guess you are going to tell us that the handle in the middle makes it easy to carry the rack to the job. I want to see a picture of you doing that.
                Looks like it's on casters.

JoeLee how do you store the remnants of your TIG rods?

Comment

A rack under my bench grinders for the long stock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1020183.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.9 KB ID:	1952187

This graduated length assembly of 4" PVC tube for pieces from 5ft to 17". It puts the metal standing on end so I can instantly see the cross section on the end and the length by how far up it stands. Plus I don't have to move anything to lift out what I want or to replace the excess into the right new spot based on length. It has been an excellent use of floor space for storage of the offcuts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030906.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	1952189

Then once down to 16.5" and shorter it all goes into the old file card drawers in this side of my center island for the shorter lengths. Different drawers labeled for round stock, flat stock, tool steel, aluminium, etc.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1020377.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	1952188
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I use square plastic fence post so I can lay them on a shelf and stack them. I use short ones on top for cutoffs and misc short pieces. It’s a nice way to separate rounds, square and flats by material type.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

Seriously, I have an ongoing battle to organize my shop and I love to see these threads about the different ways others do it. Keep them coming.

I don't really know why I put that handle there. Sure as hell can't lift it. I had to top it off with something decorative. Think of it as a finial. It rotates and locks in position both ways too.

Name:	IMG-20210718-102459.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	1952279

Name:	IMG-20210718-102445.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	1952280

This is how I made the cross sections. It was pretty time consuming. I milled a square block to use as a spacer for each square and put a dab of weld on the bottom side of each joint.

Name:	IMG-20210718-102427.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1952281

The ends were drilled and pinned. then I fused around the seam.

Name:	IMG-20210718-102408.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1952282

I made the tubes out of central vac pipe / tube because that stuff is thin wall sched. 20 and measures 2" on the OD unlike sched. 40 PVC pipe. I plugged the bottoms with PVC round discs that I cut to about 1/2" in thickness. The flat top end caps were made for that type pipe.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

That Sir is one of the best questions I have heard from you.

I TIG weld and am pretty conservative when it comes to filler. I conserve all mine..

Always looking for a better way.. Thanks Reggie.. JR

I drop my ends off into a stainless coffee pot bucket and fuse them back together and make 22" long frankensteign filler rods. haha

They look like hell, bunch of 1-2 inch sections all fused up /

Yeah, it works FYI JR

Name:	drop1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	1952301

Name:	drop2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	1952302

Yup
                        Last edited by JRouche; 07-18-2021, 11:38 PM.

Comment

My smaller stuff goes on a Mobile Cart equipped with a Mini Bandsaw and other stuff on larger rack. Click image for larger version

Name:	ADBEEAC0-B339-4690-8939-C892237A24D4.png
Views:	122
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	1952299 Click image for larger version

Name:	2D887665-6688-421E-8E94-80262018A564.png
Views:	121
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	1952300

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

No, it's not on casters.

Here is where I store my remnants. I almost always cut the 36" rods in half. I had planned on making some short tubes and a small rack to sit on the side of the machine for the remnants, but haven't got around to it yet. I have several 21" long pieces of tube that were left over from the full lengths. Some day !!

JL...............

Name:	IMG-20210719-101227.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	1952390

Comment

Some great ideas on here.. shorts can be a pain.. that is why I chose Horizontal storage, and it uses space that is not being used.

Comment

Working...
                              X