• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

what do you think the game is?

and....

does it come with a moustache or do you have to provide your own
    It's the first american car iv seen that does not look typical american it really does look exotic, and there are records waiting to be set for what's powering it and where it's positioned --- it's just nice that we finally got a serious contender that's actually mass produced and has room for refinement, there's going to be a learning curve but the basic concept holds no limits now. Finally. (all moustache's must be accompanied with a goatee)

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Hey, you know me. I really dont have any like or dislike of the cars

JR

Corvett, puke.. A 62 Nova? Yes Sir. She will rip the new mid engine Vette. Bet? JR
      Either that is a joke or its a highly modified Nova. I wouldn't bet against a 8000hp top fuel nova against the new vette. Pure stock vs pure stock ?

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
        Can’t wait for Whistlin Diesel to buy one and do his thing to it. Seriously though, I hated to see him destroy the Toyota Hilux…
        There's a lot of psycho in that boy.

Comment

I watched as far as when he buckled the rear door in his "opening and closing test" I hate seeing good stuff get senselessly destroyed, might as well drop bowling balls on it to "see how it holds up to hail damage" not impressed...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            It's the first american car iv seen that does not look typical american it really does look exotic, and there are records waiting to be set for what's powering it and where it's positioned --- it's just nice that we finally got a serious contender that's actually mass produced and has room for refinement, there's going to be a learning curve but the basic concept holds no limits now. Finally. (all moustache's must be accompanied with a goatee)
            What I was getting at, is the game is marketing, not performance. Position is a key marketing term.

I'll agree its looks exotic, it does have that European super car look. But by definition it can't be exotic which is the first strike. By all accounts its an incredible machine, really amazing performance at a fraction of the price of competitors. I tip my hat to the team....but I don't think performance is at all the game. You can't use the performance and keep the car, your freedom or possibly life.

Many years I was touring Volkswagen's facilities, offices and warehouses, with a senior exec. Senior enough he was over from Germany doing a stiint. Regular cars were stored in outdoor lots but the high end 911's were in an indoor warehouse. We were eyeballing some super fancy pimped up turbo model and asked the guy what car it was, his response with a heavy German accent was "zat is zhe panty dropper"

I think that's the game, what they are selling, not performance. The psychological lift the buyer gets from the attention, jealously, envy, whatever, he thinks the possession causes and how he thinks he's perceived by having the car. Not saying such a lift is a positive character trait, but I think its a big part of why many (not all) people have these cars - how they think possession projects to the outside. So its a much subtler and more difficult position to achieve than 1/4 mile times and Corvette has a lot baggage in trying to compete in that game with top European super cars
            Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-19-2021, 10:03 AM.
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

A person would have to have their taste buds surgically removed to think that's a good looking car.

Comment

I think that's the game, what they are selling, not performance. The psychological lift the buyer gets from the attention, jealously, envy, whatever, he thinks the possession cause how he thinks he's perceived by having the car. Not say such a lift is a positive character trait, but I think its a big part of why many (not all) people have these cars - how they think possession projects to the outside. So its a much subtler and more difficult position to achieve than 1/4 miles times and Corvette has a lot baggage in trying to compete in that game with top European super cars
                Mcgyver is correct on all points.

Buying ANY "Corvette" that is later than the very earliest ones has serious disadvantages. The main ones I see are as follows:

The need to find leisure suits to wear.

Finding those long pointed collars on shirts is hard anymore.

You have to grow a mustache, and shaving the beard is a requirement if you already have beard and mustache.

You need a hairpiece ("wig", "rug", etc), younger folks will have to shave their heads to accommodate it.

You need to start combing "that stuff" into your mustache to get rid of most of the gray. (A few streaks may be OK)

You need to drop your IQ about 20 points.

You need to start "thinking with the wrong head".

Of course, if you have, or buy, one of the earliest ones, you can ignore all of the above. The earliest ones may not have been a particularly great car, but they do have coolness about them.
                Last edited by J Tiers; 07-19-2021, 09:46 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Agree --- but that language is universal regardless where you go, 97% of the folk who buy any of these "super cars" will never really test them in all the ways they are designed to be tested, for most it might just be a straight line "tromp" and then the feeling like they just got away with murder and park it back in the heated garage with controlled humidity levels and get out the wax lol
                  And it is marketing but the performance numbers still have to add up or what's the point? buy the other one that does more "right" even if you never use it --- it's a mindset, for most... for most all's they are after is having it even if they never use it, and yeah that's a shame that's not what they are really built for --- but then again might be better then not knowing what your doing and going out and wrapping one around a tree first corner...

Comment

I think that's the game, what they are selling, not performance. The psychological lift the buyer gets from the attention, jealously, envy, whatever, he thinks the possession causes and how he thinks he's perceived by having the car. Not saying such a lift is a positive character trait, but I think its a big part of why many (not all) people have these cars - how they think possession projects to the outside. So its a much subtler and more difficult position to achieve than 1/4 mile times and Corvette has a lot baggage in trying to compete in that game with top European super cars
                    The performance has to be there or what they are selling is moot, the majority of the "techno-weenies" that will be buying these cars are glued to that, in fact that's what makes them tick,,, the handling G-forces and acceleration will all be improved by this design, along with braking,,, Do not fault the car companies for trying to appeal to this, unless your just into giving up and having a defeatist attitude,,, we've tried that already...

There's nothing "new" about this new design and in fact it's been done to death by the euro's and for good reason --- it's the best configuration to start with for a super car bar none, it does most everything right, the only thing "new" about it is this is the first time america has seriously gotten into the game at a mass scale, do I find that exciting ? hell yeah I do I think it's great...
                    But I do have to add ------ it's about freakin time....

Comment

A couple of years back I saw a guy standing outside a brand new Corvette that had jumped the curb and was nosed up 90o into a Frost fence alongside a single lane freeway access road. He had obviously "put his foot into it" and was totally unprepared for the car's rear end kicking sideways when it lost traction. I honked my horn and gave him a friendly wave and a big smile when I drove past him.

I have to wonder though...if these new "supercars" didn't have traction control, how far would the new owners be able to drive them before they had a similar accident?

Comment

Is it fun to drive? A car purchase such as this only needs to fill that requirement.

Comment

I agree they've done a good job on the performance enhancements, really impressive and I complimented them on the accomplishment. Especially at the price point. The point is, to your reference of winning a game against European supercar's, that game isn't performance. While you may need performance to win that game, performance is just a part of it.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Seriously tough crowd here. Honest question, do you guys enjoy ANYTHING? Some of you guys need to stop drinking the moly dee.

Very nice car. I play ball with a guy that is picking his up this week. Can't wait to drool over it in person. He'll never track it, or probably ever touch an eighth of it's performance benefits, but he's worked hard and always wanted one. Another guy on our team bought a c7 when he retired too. Nice cars also, but that mid engine profile is tough to beat. Very beautiful, and hard to believe it rolled off a general motors production line.

Comment

I agree they've done a good job on the performance enhancements, really impressive and I complimented them on the accomplishment. Especially at the price point. The point is, to your reference of winning a game against European supercar's, that game isn't performance. While you may need performance to win that game, performance is just a part of it.
                              How bout biggest bang for the buck?

Call me crazy but I love my country and there's something special about actually being proud of a car they built... iv never really felt that till this new beast :-)

Comment

Was it here or on PM where someone bought a partially wrecked McLaren F-1
                                and was fixing it up new? So much great engineering in those super cars.
                                And the guy got it for a good price as I recall. Not THAT would be a good
                                project to spend time and $ on. Just saying. No Corvette commentary, sorry.

-D
                                DZER

Comment

Working...
                                X