This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
    A person would have to have their taste buds surgically removed to think that's a good looking car.
    do you check out cars by licking them?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
      Seriously tough crowd here. Honest question, do you guys enjoy ANYTHING? Some of you guys need to stop drinking the moly dee.

Very nice car. I play ball with a guy that is picking his up this week. Can't wait to drool over it in person. He'll never track it, or probably ever touch an eighth of it's performance benefits, but he's worked hard and always wanted one. Another guy on our team bought a c7 when he retired too. Nice cars also, but that mid engine profile is tough to beat. Very beautiful, and hard to believe it rolled off a general motors production line.
      I have not liked the Corvette (and the required accessories as above) since the original design was dropped.

Do I like anything? Sure.... I Like Jaguars up to mid 1960s or so. I like quite a few older M-B vehicles. I like most British sports cars up into the 1960s. I like '57 Chevys. There are a lot of cars I like. More that OI like than ones I do not. Lots more.

I do not like most Corvettes, simply because they are so stereotypically marketing to a certain group of american auto buyers with more money than sense, and a love of the flashy over substance. There are a LOT of american cars (and nearly ALL trucks) marketed to that group, and their wanna-bees.

Oh, yeah, also because I think they are ugly, and because at some of them seem to corner like a stake-bed truck.

The Corvette is so soaked in that background, that if a real european performance sports car were re-badged Corvette, in place of the US design they would not sell well. (yes some of that might be in not having the original name, the rest in having the Corvette name, and not looking like a Corvette.)

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        I do not like most Corvettes, simply because they are so stereotypically marketing to a certain group of american auto buyers with more money than sense, and a love of the flashy over substance. There are a LOT of american cars (and nearly ALL trucks) marketed to that group, and their wanna-bees.

Oh, yeah, also because I think they are ugly, and because at some of them seem to corner like a stake-bed truck.
        Sure sounds like your dislike of the vette lies more with the buyers than the car itself !

They haven't handled poorly in MANY years, in fact they have performed extremely well on the racetrack for many years also. I bought a rare turbo-Porsche over 20 years ago from the senior driving instructor at a Watkins Glen racing school (trackmasters). He bought one of the new corvettes (C5)at the time because of its fantastic handling. This is a pro driver, not a wanna be. The stake bed handling ones go back to the 80's and earlier. Get on a race track sometime and try and keep up with a vette from the last 30 years !! If they can't corner well, rest assured its the driver !

Just a quick google search will show their wins on the track, this is typical of the last 20 years or so https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=Corve...280-2__&ia=web
        Last edited by Sparky_NY; 07-19-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

They did do amazingly well --- in certain models they moved as much weight to the back as they possibly could and really are comparable or at least approaching the weight distributions of some engine mid-ship cars, but it's that polar moment thing, not all 50/50 weight distributions are created equal --- big differences in the way they perform and handle... The Vette's will do nothing but get better in these categories from this point on...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            They did do amazingly well --- in certain models they moved as much weight to the back as they possibly could and really are comparable or at least approaching the weight distributions of some engine mid-ship cars, but it's that polar moment thing, not all 50/50 weight distributions are created equal --- big differences in the way they perform and handle... The Vette's will do nothing but get better in these categories from this point on...
            They moved the transmission to the rear, in the form of a transaxle, in 1997. That's when they REALLY started to handle well and win races. They got close or at the magical 50/50 weight distribution.

I have never been a corvette fan BUT the last several years they have been world class sports cars. The race results prove it.

Comment

Yes but the weight was still more on the "ends" then in the middle, bit difference, best to have it mostly in the middle and keep the ends as light as possible -- at least for cutting edge handling and recovery's --- that's why I think this is exciting too, look how well they did with a car that was starting at a deficiency... it's because they made up for it in other ways,,, well keep that attitude of making up for it and plant it into this wrapper...

Comment

Yes but the weight was still more on the "ends" then in the middle, bit difference, best to have it mostly in the middle and keep the ends as light as possible -- at least for cutting edge handling and recovery's --- that's why I think this is exciting too, look how well they did with a car that was starting at a deficiency... it's because they made up for it in other ways,,, well keep that attitude of making up for it and plant it into this wrapper...
                Just looked for kicks, the C5 won LeMans in 2001, 2002 and 2004. Not too shabby ! You are right, the newest version has even more potential !

https://www.corvetteracing.com/news/...y-the-numbers/

Comment

I like 'em all for a variety of reasons. Style is a hard thing to nail down. I smile equally when I see a nice old Jaguar E type as I do for a clean 60's era Stingray Vette. Each is a picture into the styling directions for the countries that spawned them. And the same goes for a lot of the sports cars out there. Generally each is nice looking for any number of reasons.

What I'd like to ask though..... For all you guys drooling over the new Vette, which is highly drool worthy I do agree, I wonder how many of you would manage with the gymnastics needed to get into and out of it multiple times a day? Hmmmm? ? ?

Performance is a funny thing too. I've got and have had motorcycles that can earn me an excessive speeding ticket from hitting redline in first gear. And waste no time at all in earning me that "reward". Yet when it comes down to casual fun one of the most smile generating bikes I've got or ever had is my old 1990 kick start Suzuki DR350 dual sport with one set of wheels set up for dirt and another with smooth tires for general errand riding. It makes all the power of a thousand butterfly sneezes. But.... unlike the other over performers I can USE ALL OF THOSE BUTTERFLY SNEEZES almost all of the time. I can ride the socks off that bike and only break the rules by a small amount. And being so non descript it is visually just not seen as I "Walter Mitty" my butt all around the local roads carving turns and "blasting out of the exits". It's all huge fun in its own way.

So... who's having more fun? The new Vette or other super powerful car owner that can only realistically just use about 10% of the performance or the kid with the old Yaris that can wail on their car 90% of the time without getting it seized and him tossed into jail?
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

In my younger days, I owned a C2 (1964) with the L76, 366 hp engine. It handled great with some minor suspension mods, and was a class winner on the local road course. It was also my daily driver. My neighbor had a 67 model with the L71 big block. It was great at drag racing but couldn't hold a candle to my car on the road course due to the extra weight of the big block engine. I haven't liked the looks of the Vettes from 68 until the last few years, and think GM has a winner with this latest iteration. Just mho.
                    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      I like 'em all for a variety of reasons. Style is a hard thing to nail down. I smile equally when I see a nice old Jaguar E type as I do for a clean 60's era Stingray Vette. Each is a picture into the styling directions for the countries that spawned them. And the same goes for a lot of the sports cars out there. Generally each is nice looking for any number of reasons.

What I'd like to ask though..... For all you guys drooling over the new Vette, which is highly drool worthy I do agree, I wonder how many of you would manage with the gymnastics needed to get into and out of it multiple times a day? Hmmmm? ? ?

Performance is a funny thing too. I've got and have had motorcycles that can earn me an excessive speeding ticket from hitting redline in first gear. And waste no time at all in earning me that "reward". Yet when it comes down to casual fun one of the most smile generating bikes I've got or ever had is my old 1990 kick start Suzuki DR350 dual sport with one set of wheels set up for dirt and another with smooth tires for general errand riding. It makes all the power of a thousand butterfly sneezes. But.... unlike the other over performers I can USE ALL OF THOSE BUTTERFLY SNEEZES almost all of the time. I can ride the socks off that bike and only break the rules by a small amount. And being so non descript it is visually just not seen as I "Walter Mitty" my butt all around the local roads carving turns and "blasting out of the exits". It's all huge fun in its own way.

So... who's having more fun? The new Vette or other super powerful car owner that can only realistically just use about 10% of the performance or the kid with the old Yaris that can wail on their car 90% of the time without getting it seized and him tossed into jail?
                      BC thanks for making me feel better about owning the pea-shooter,,, it's true and to tell you the truth I could not afford to buy just tires on a car like the Vette but it's nice to dream a little,

in a related note; I did take the pea-shooter out to see how fast it could go --- even though a 1 liter 3 cyl im pretty sure it could hit about 130mph simply for the fact that it's so damn slippery (has a CD of .25) iv had it into the triple digits and it just seemed unscathed by the oncoming "breeze" and keeps pulling, so took it out to my old testing grounds - an actual highway out in the middle of nowhere with no side roads or anything and a view of the road ahead for miles...

I got it going and then abandoned the mission --- we've had so much rain that the weeds are very high on the side of the road and into the fields --- there's gazelle in the area so no way not risking it... guess my main excitement remains watching the fuel gauge mileage meter... wha whaaaaa

Comment

A while ago I rented a corvette for a week, then a 911 for a week while on a vacation. The corvette was noisy, handled like crap. The 911 was smooth.

As far as the C8, why be impressed with a design style out of the 60's???

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                          A while ago I rented a corvette for a week, then a 911 for a week while on a vacation. The corvette was noisy, handled like crap. The 911 was smooth.
                          The flat 6 in the 911 is very refined and silky smooth for sure... the old air cooled 911-S held 14 quarts of oil ! they where actually oil cooled to some degree (no pun intended)

I have no idea what the 930 turbo's held but you can bet it was way more than the 911 -S

their air cooling fan force fed the engine it's cooling air, and the oil cooler that was a small size radiator,,, their fan consumed something like 14 hp @ 6,000 RPM's

so in that respect chevy and everyone else was at least way ahead with using a liquid coolant around the cylinders and heads... and a tiny little efficient water impeller pump that kept things extra cool so even more ponies could be achieved without a meltdown,,, porsche finally had an "epiphany moment in the year 2000" lol

As far as the C8, why be impressed with a design style out of the 60's???
                          As I stated --- nothing new about it and it's been done to death --- but not by Chevy in the form of a Vette, and 60's ? technically try about 1890...

Comment

The flat 6 in the 911 is very refined and silky smooth for sure... the old air cooled 911-S held 14 quarts of oil ! they where actually oil cooled to some degree (no pun intended)

I have no idea what the 930 turbo's held but you can bet it was way more than the 911 -S

their air cooling fan force fed the engine it's cooling air, and the oil cooler that was a small size radiator,,, their fan consumed something like 14 hp @ 6,000 RPM's

so in that respect chevy and everyone else was at least way ahead with using a liquid coolant around the cylinders and heads... and a tiny little efficient water impeller pump that kept things extra cool so even more ponies could be achieved without a meltdown,,, porsche finally had an "epiphany moment in the year 2000" lol

As I stated --- nothing new about it and it's been done to death --- but not by Chevy in the form of a Vette, and 60's ? technically try about 1890...
                            What about the 928 and 944 series? They were water cooled long before 2000. The limited production (2000 total over 2 years) 944 turbo S was a extreme performing car, one of the 4 fastest cars in the world back in 88/89 according to the ads at the time, AND on a 2.5L 4 cyl no less. It was a full 3 seconds faster per lap at Road Atlanta than the 911 turbo in a road test, 3 seconds is a eternity on a road coarse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8568da6b93731da05c35a201428851ba.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1952458

Comment

Sparky thanks for that I remember both those cars back in the day and in fact worked on them although not the turbo versions, (I don't think or would have remembered the test drives lol) I was not aware that they did so well up against the more purist porsche's... could be the company was stretching it's boundaries to see if liquids really helped with cooling things better and after a decade of proof decided "yup they do so lets now put this technology to the test with our precious oversteering brainchild" lol

Comment

I live in Germany and there still are many places with no speed limits. Recently I made a 210 mile trip in under two hours! Top speed was 130mph. This was in a Mercedes on a Sunday with no trucks on the roads. Funny thing was we were getting passed quite often. That Vette might be fun over here and could be driven the way it was built to drive.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                                X