Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take a 911(first) or a Ford GT-40 but NEVER a corvette! I'm done with GM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeL46 View Post
      My current ride, 2020 Fiat 124 Spider,
      Mike
      No chit Mike? I didnt know they were bringing the 124 back

They started with the other models.

Thats a nice looking car, a sort of modern 124

I had a 71 124 right from the pininfarina name sake.

I ajusted its suspention to handle better. Its in the Fiat Forum if you care to see.

It was quite a bit. Tore the whole suspention down and rebuilt it. It was a full frame car so it was easier.

The engine was a "Hemi Engine". Four cylinders though. Funny tid bit, the 1600cc four banger used the same connecting rods (small mods) as a small block chevy 350.

That build is also on the Fiat forum unless its all gone cause shure enough, all photo-hyjackers, or AKA, photobucket hosted all the picture content for those. Say we rush their building!! Hahaaa! Funny and current

JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
        I'll take a 911(first) or a Ford GT-40 but NEVER a corvette! I'm done with GM.
        Sounds like theres a story behind that. Mind sharing?

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          So… How does it handle on the track?
          https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/37...ht-be-stunning

Pretty well, apparently. The reviewer seemed to like it, with the only ding mentioned being that its almost boring to drive. Reviewer did note that it doesnt quite keep up with more track-focused supercars like your 911 turbos or Ferarris, but comes pretty close, which is impressive for something that costs $60k base. Plus, its worth remembering that the reviewer was reviewing a stock C8, albeit with the Z51 package. Personally, id wager that theres still a fair bit of performance that can be eked out of the platform to close the gap. Someones already managed to ramp the 500hp base engine up to an absolutely ludicrous 1200hp, made a 9.41 quarter mile time after that

Comment

The buzz is that the Z06 version that is due out this fall will be powered by an LT6 engine. 5.5 liters, double overhead cam and flat plane crank V8. Somewhere around 600 HP naturally aspirated with a high red line (7000 rpm or so). The C8 is impressive, but as someone else said, its not my kind of car. I would like to drive one though.

BTW - The new Fiat 124 looks great and it's actually built by Mazda on the 4th gen Miata chassis. Same assembly line, different body. Should be very reliable.

Comment

I seen the words "fiat 124" and just tuned out did not look at the year lol the old ones were such crap that i could not continue, just checked out the 2020 and yes looks nice and glad to hear mazda took control of the helm as it should be at least somewhat dependable --- I remember the old fiat 124 and 128's ----- some had plastic timing gears with a wimpy little belt --- I think some had a belt change interval of only 30,000 miles lol and allot of times the belt would not make it that far and yeah interference fit engine,,, these are the cars that gave fiat the nickname "Fix it again Tony" lol

Comment

My all time favorites and one that's achievable is the Honda S-2000 - it has to be the ultimate roadster, the first gen produced 240 ponies out of a normally aspirated 2 liter (almost a 12 : 1 compression ratio) that rapped out to 9,000 RPM's and unlike the Vette that only comes with an automatic it only came with one trans, a 6 speed manual... talk about a barrel of fun...

The other is the first Gen NSX type R, @ 300 lbs lighter than the regular NSX, way unachievable as just the regular NSX's are now priced way higher then the new C-8 Vette,
                Both these examples would seem like "gutless wonders" compared to the corvette but plenty of power to keep me happy and for the most part "maybe" out of trouble...

Comment

I wonder if carbon fiber will ever become mainstream for performance car frames like aluminum has now taken the stage,

it would be so labor intensive to build but with some price tags pushing a million bucks it has to be considered, racing bikes used to be just plain steel way back in the day, then thin wall Cro-Mo dominated for many decades - then aluminum hit the seen --- followed shortly after by CF

many people think of aluminum as being "weak" but in fact it's quite the opposite --- it's actually rated the most rigid material out of all the examples because compared to steel you get to use much more of it and create larger tubes/structures whatever... CF is so light you can do the same but it does retain a little more springy-ness just depends on design,

the NSX --- S-2000 and even my insight pea shooter were all built in the same factory due to them having all aluminum construction, the pea shooter is rated 33% torsionally stiffer then it's cousin all steel civic...

CF would yet again save weight --- My racing mt. bike is CF and is by far the lightest and best bike iv ever owned in my life... but bikes are simple - there's only a few places you have to integrate aluminum lugging into the CF --- a car frame? tons of area's to where it might not be practical as there would have to be so many of these area's and they would actually have to be beefed up to accept the fiber integration that it might not make sense, also --- one connection failure and good luck with repairs,
                  Aluminum has it's problems this way also, tigging is easily done but removes the heat treat from the surrounding material, patching and reaching out and gusseting "if" you have the room to do so is still not considered a factory repair, lot's of high end sports cars going for real cheap due to this factor...

moral of story - try not to bend one...

Comment

Fwiw..
                    We recently drove a *proper* sportscar for a week, an Audi RS5, and it will outdo the C8 in absolutely anything in real-world conditions.
                    It is, however, about 130k€, so almost double the money.

I used to drive a Subaru Impreza STi WRC, for a couple of years, a lot of the time at the top of performance edge on highways.
                    Nothing could touch it, aka pass it, because at 255 km/h the next corner on highways is about 45-85 seconds away.

The hot porsches and bmws are technically faster on a straight line, but cannot hold the curves on the highways at the same speed.
                    So they would always drop back on every corner, and would not have enough time to catch up and pass before the next corner.

The Sti was happy running continuous 4-wheel skids on every corner, for 19 hours straight, on a drive from bcn to germany.
                    Running speed was about 240 kmh, 255 most of the time.

Comment

Funny..

Some folks go all goober over the chevy. They are crap on the pedestrian streets.

Sure, you can fine tue it for the track. Its still an ill handling car on the street.

I drove a C5 or C6, and it had loads of HP. That doesnt equate to handling. Hell, throw an easy 600hp into any cars these days. Doesnt mean they can turn with the HP. A vette cant on the street.

Azz light and nose heavy.. This new rig might be why?

I owned a 911 Carrerra, Best handling car out the gate from all the otheres I have test drove.

Azz heavy? Big time. But the diff is I knew that. The C6 was wild. And I can drive a "wild" suspention and or car. The chevy was too unpredictable.

Talk about unpredictable, the 911 Porche. Then put a much too large turbo (read slow to spool) and it gets real exciting. Key is, you know that going in..

The 911 turbo likes more thottle going into or out of a turn. The vette does not.

The vette you have to keep it pretty constant throughout the turn and know the turn, come in too hot snd you lost the turn.

Not off trake but slower. Ill take a 911 over the chevy.. JR

Comment

I always find discussions like this a great deal of fun. Everyone states their case as if it's the final word.

When in truth, it's pure opinion, no different than asking what ones' favorite color is, or their favorite movie, yet everyone writes as if to say "I don't like it, therefore it's worthless".

(Of course, that same tends to apply to trucks, smartphones, TV shows, politicians, machine tools, fast foods, beer, movie actors, house colors and styles of haircuts. Always entertaining to watch. )

Doc.
                        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by greystone View Post
                          Fwiw..
                          We recently drove a *proper* sportscar for a week, an Audi RS5, and it will outdo the C8 in absolutely anything in real-world conditions.
                          It is, however, about 130k€, so almost double the money.
                          fwiw, it doesn't change brakes of course, but an S4 is a quick tune away from an RS4 in terms of power. The difference in the S4 vs RS4 (or S5/RS5, the 4/5 is just sedan/coupe) drive train is just the tune. A friend who's a mechanic and deeply into them holds (or did, not something I'm current on) the S4 1/4 mile record at 10.2 - a lot of power out of a 3 liter engine and its mostly, but not all, the tune. Even if you saved your shekels, the RS series,same as the M, comes with a heavy burden I wouldn't want. Price out a brake job for example. A friend who bought an M5 bought brake insurance with it! Seriously. Who needs that nonsense with a daily driver. Having had a few of each, the bmw is the the better handler by some margin imo. Audi has an electronic steering that just doesn't give the same road feel, but the quatro and balance is solid. speaking of a daily driver....even if I could afford to, I'm not into having a stable of cars (stable of headaches and things to do) so none of the 2 seaters hold much interest, but if was to, some form of 911 would have the most appeal.

Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-23-2021, 07:01 AM.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                            I always find discussions like this a great deal of fun. Everyone states their case as if it's the final word.

When in truth, it's pure opinion, no different than asking what ones' favorite color is, or their favorite movie, yet everyone writes as if to say "I don't like it, therefore it's worthless".

(Of course, that same tends to apply to trucks, smartphones, TV shows, politicians, machine tools, fast foods, beer, movie actors, house colors and styles of haircuts. Always entertaining to watch. )

Doc.
                            My dream car is better than your dream car.

I agree with AK- the new Vette is amazing. I'm not wild about the interior or the automatic, but I understand why no stick: most mid engine stick shifts linkages are pretty wonky.

Fun fact: in 2020 more EV's were sold than stick shift- equipped cars.
                            Last edited by CarlByrns; 07-24-2021, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
                              but I understand why no stick: most mid engine stick shifts linkages are pretty wonky.

Fun fact: in 2020 more EV's were sold than stick shift- equipped cars.
                              Last edited by CarlByrns; Yesterday, 09:32 PM.
                              All cars are fly by wire now, unfortunatly.

It is kind of ironic. The Yuppies are driving around in their electric vehles all the while saying look how Green I am and watch me waste loads of electricity on the Road race with my green vehicle. LoL...

Not buying it folks,, JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

All cars are fly by wire now, unfortunatly.

It is kind of ironic. The Yuppies are driving around in their electric vehles all the while saying look how Green I am and watch me waste loads of electricity on the Road race with my green vehicle. LoL...

Not buying it folks,, JR

Been watching the popularity of EV cars including some of the mandates to force us in that direction. I don't have a issue with EV's, the problem I see is with the energy sources to charge them. Yes, a few of them get charged by solar but not the majority, the majority get charged off the electric grid. The electric grid is more over stressed every day and now there is a push to get away from fossil fuel generation on the grid with no real replacement for that generation at hand. It seems the handwriting is on the wall, large load increases on the grid due to EV;s and decreased grid generation, grid collapse anyone? Also interesting is that the areas pushing EV's the hardest have the biggest grid problems already.

Fossil fuels comprise almost 60% of the US electric generation capacity, 40% natural gas, 19% coal. Nuclear is 20% and renewables are 20%. Better get moving faster expanding those renewables before the lights go out and the EV is dead in the driveway.
                                Last edited by Sparky_NY; 07-24-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X