This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

Nuclear is out, fossil is out, we have no more rivers to dam, we can't build any more reservoirs, photovoltaic is limited in application and thermal solar even more so. Where's all this new electricity going to come from?

Doc.
    Nuclear is not "out". Educate yourself. Molten salt thorium reactors are the key to unlimited energy independence
    with almost no nuclear waste. And they can not melt down and run away. Very safe.

--Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Nuclear is not "out". Educate yourself. Molten salt thorium reactors are the key to unlimited energy independence
      with almost no nuclear waste. And they can not melt down and run away. Very safe.

--Doozer
      They are not "out" because of the technology, its public opinion. Considering the track record of existing nuclear plants here in the US that have been online for a long time, its probably the safest of all methods of power generation. As I see it, nothing comes even close to nuclear for power generation. I think of those navy aircraft carriers, going many many years without refueling and fast enough to water ski behind with all that size and weight.

Comment

Molten salt thorium reactors may be the safest answer to the energy crisis world wide, IF the technology proves to be workable on a commercial scale. China is currently trying to determine that feasibility with a reactor that is being built in the desert. I hope it will be a success.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

If i was playing in those leagues, I would probably buy a Lotus Evora
          https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/range/evora/

Notice it does 180+ mph while getting 25 MPG.
          Zero to 60 in 3.9 sec.
          And of course perfect British handling.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
            If i was playing in those leagues, I would probably buy a Lotus Evora
            https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/range/evora/

Notice it does 180+ mph while getting 25 MPG.
            Zero to 60 in 3.9 sec.
            And of course perfect British handling.
            Here is another ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_918_Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              -You misunderstand. I'm a proponent of nuclear power.

The "out" I refer to is purely political and PR, not technological.

Construction of new nuclear plants in the US came to a screeching halt after the 1-2 punch of 3-Mile Island and the movie The China Syndrome. Yes, I'm fully aware that TMI was basically a nonevent and TCS was wrong on so many levels it wasn't funny. But from a PR standpoint, they were pure poison. And now, after Chernobyl and more than thirty years of The Simpsons telling us on a weekly basis that nuclear plants are ill-maintained, dangerous, staffed by morons, owned by evil oligarchs, and nearly melt down every other week, nuclear power is more of a political third rail than even gun control or abortion.

One of the few things I gave solid props to President Obama about, was his (admittedly reluctant) willingness toward nuclear power.

NO politican wants to have to okay a new plant construction, and there is virtually nowhere in the US you can site one without running into billions in lawsuits. That's not hyperbole either- I seem to recall reading that just to get through the paperwork to okay a plant today, runs an estimated $1.5 billion. That's "billion" with a "B". That's before the first shovelful of dirt has been moved.

Several years ago, Toshiba wanted to do some real-world testing of one of their compact reactors- something that needs no massive cooling towers and can be sited on I think less than ten acres. They offered it- free of charge- to Galena, Alaska. Free electricity for the life of the plant.

The city refused.

They refused because everything about nuclear power is seen as evil and toxic. If the plant itself doesn't melt down and explode, the trucks carrying in the fuel or out the waste will inevitably crash and contaminate 900 square miles of virgin forest, or all the animals in and around the plant will start growing tentacles and third eyes. Or them durty ebbil forriners will hijack the place to get material for their "dirty bombs" or something.

Even free electricity can't compete with that kind of bad PR.

Doc.
              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Ok, so I come back to this thread and we are talking about the bull crap bad rep Nuclear power gets. I agree, it’s BS. It is really the way to go for all future power needs. We just need to educate the dumb people.

Comment

I remember when Trump was talking about clean nuclear.
                  He never elaborated, but I always wondered of the knew
                  about the thorium reactors. I have a friend on the world
                  wide committee for nuclear power economics (something
                  like that). They meet every other year in Switzerland.
                  He used to work for Duke energy, and he was in charge
                  of the budget for 10 nuclear plants here and in southeast.
                  I have been asking him if anyone has seriously studied
                  the economics of these thorium reactors. He is going to
                  broach the topic with the committee next time he goes
                  to Switzerland, and we will see how it goes.

--Doozer
                  DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

Even free electricity can't compete with that kind of bad PR.

Doc.
                    But it's not all just bad PR. There is no cohesive plan to permanently store the spent fuel from reactors- it's all stored on-site. Hair-brained schemes such as dump it into the deep ocean or shoot it into space just ain't gonna happen and switching to a different type of nuclear power won't solve the current problem. It's difficult to believe that uranium nuclear power was allowed to progress as far as it has since the engineers knew from day one that the spent fuel would have to be disposed of and they had no idea how to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
                      switching to a different type of nuclear power won't solve the current problem.
                      Oh, I don't know about that. Traveling wave reactors, for example, look like they will be able to use that existing 'depleted' fuel, AS fuel. The current 'supply of waste' would last a VERY long time. There are new designs that look promising indeed.
                      Technology changes, even if people don't. I am not picking on you, Carl.
                      The 'nuclear is bad, PERIOD' attitude has robbed us of putting resources into the only technology that is likely to be able to save our sorry asses. We have had the obvious answer for over 70 years, and are apparently too ignorant and/or irrational to really try and figure out how to make it work well for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joel View Post
                        Oh, I don't know about that. Traveling wave reactors, for example, look like they will be able to use that existing 'depleted' fuel, AS fuel. The current 'supply of waste' would last a VERY long time. There are new designs that look promising indeed.
                        Technology changes, even if people don't. I am not picking on you, Carl.
                        The 'nuclear is bad, PERIOD' attitude has robbed us of putting resources into the only technology that is likely to be able to save our sorry asses. We have had the obvious answer for over 70 years, and are apparently too ignorant and/or irrational to really try and figure out how to make it work well for us.
                        The traveling wave reactor is news to me and if it can use depleted fuel it sounds like a win. But that's a big if.
                        I'm not opposed to nuclear power, I'm just not thrilled with any technology where known problems are ignored until it's too late.

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                          Ok, so I come back to this thread and we are talking about the bull crap bad rep Nuclear power gets. I agree, it’s BS. It is really the way to go for all future power needs. We just need to educate the dumb people.
                          Yeah but in a sense it's also the dumb people that create the demands,,, make the supply to keep the demands even more of a "non issue" like nuclear power and alls you really end up doing is creating more dumb ass people - then the supply gets strained in some other area and the whole patch process gets reinstated...

so as far as nuclear being the almighty answer --- yeah - for people with lack of foresight is it,,, but it will just end up creating an even bigger problem --- I say make energy scarce and even food --- nip it in the bud - time to get sustainable, if your not on board then try to die early... and for gods sake folks stop reproducing...

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Yeah but in a sense it's also the dumb people that create the demands,,, make the supply to keep the demands even more of a "non issue" like nuclear power and alls you really end up doing is creating more dumb ass people - then the supply gets strained in some other area and the whole patch process gets reinstated...

so as far as nuclear being the almighty answer --- yeah - for people with lack of foresight is it,,, but it will just end up creating an even bigger problem --- I say make energy scarce and even food --- nip it in the bud - time to get sustainable, if your not on board then try to die early... and for gods sake folks stop reproducing...
                            Making energy scarce... So tell me, when you go to a hotel with EPA shower heads that trinkle ferry piss on you and can't wash the shampoo out of your hair, what do you do? I do one of two things. I either rip out the O-ring restricting the flow, or I take a hot shower that lasts 5x as long. Oh, and I also leave a 1 star review.
                            All you're going to do with that is piss a lot of people off and things won't end well for those that instituted it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post

Making energy scarce... So tell me, when you go to a hotel with EPA shower heads that trinkle ferry piss on you and can't wash the shampoo out of your hair, what do you do? I do one of two things. I either rip out the O-ring restricting the flow, or I take a hot shower that lasts 5x as long. Oh, and I also leave a 1 star review.
                              All you're going to do with that is piss a lot of people off and things won't end well for those that instituted it.
                              Hate to break it too you --- but pretty soon, you can show up at all the hotels you want and rip out any amount of O-rings you want and all's your going to end up with is a trinkle of fiery piss anyways... the supply and demand will actually take care of itself when there's no more supply...

Comment

• Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
                                The traveling wave reactor is news to me …
                                That could be because no one has ever built one.

Comment

Working...
                                X