This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
    But it's not all just bad PR. There is no cohesive plan to permanently store the spent fuel from reactors- it's all stored on-site.
    -Actually, that's part of the bad PR too. We've known basically from the beginning how to transmute Uranium into Plutonium- Fat Man, after all, was a Plutonium weapon.

The trick is that the fuel can easily be "burned" at least three times- once as Uranium, during which a fair percentage is transmuted into Plutonium. This is what's known as a "breeder reactor". We get heat/power and more fuel. The Pu can then be separated out of the 'spent' fuel, the Uranium burned again, and the Plutonium burned in a different kind of reactor. The upshot being that, properly utilized, a typical (if such a word can be used) charge of fuel can produce something like a hundred times more energy than it does in today's 60's-technology once-and-done reactors. And the amount of leftover waste is greatly reduced.

The problem is that the breeders produce Plutonium, which, of course, is even more evil and terrible and nasty than plain 'ol Uranium. Any plant that produces Pu would necessarily have to ship it out for reprocessing, and of course everyone's afraid that some Jihadists will jump out of the bushes, hijack the truck, and drive it straight into downtown Manhattan where they'll blow it up as a "dirty bomb". So, no-go on that one.

It's something we should have been doing since the early sixties- the breeding, not the jihading - and had we simply not bowed to the idiots in the 70s over a friggin' movie and kept building nuke plants- progressively more and more modern- electricity wouldn't be an issue, today. Maybe not the "too cheap to meter" once said, but fossil CO2 likely wouldn't be a thing, and blackouts and rolling brownouts would be a lot more rare.

Doc.

Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• Not every country is 'allowed' to have nuclear power stations.

Comment

• Seeing as how this thread as gone off the tracks I will chime in on energy. In my mind the biggest mistake to this planet would be inexpensive energy supplied to the masses. The pollution created by the unthinking masses buying and disposing of all the items they could now afford to run would spell the end of the planet. Even faster than we are now doing it. The price of fossil fuels should be raised to the point people will plan better. They would think twice or thrice before jumping in their car to drive somewhere. It is that way here in Germany now. We pay four times what you all pay for diesel and gasoline. We plan better just because of the high cost of driving, not because it is the right thing to do. Don't even get me started on inexpensive electricity. Consumption and buying of all these plastic "must" have items would go off the scale. We in these first world countries have it too easy and are responsible for killing our planet.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• I just don’t see the, “killing of the planet”. Earth and nature would very quickly reclaim what we created if we were to vanish overnight.
          What is done in Europe will not work in the USA. California is probably the closest to what Europe does with very high taxes on everything, including gasoline. It has zero effect on how much people drive in CA. They still have some of the worst traffic in the country.
          Driving a vehicle in the USA isn’t a choice, it’s a requirement to even function in daily life.
          Artificially rising prices of things to force a certain agenda would not be met kindly and would have the opposite effect of what was intended. The tree huggers have already made half the population, myself included, a life long global warming denier.

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            I just don’t see the, “killing of the planet”. Earth and nature would very quickly reclaim what we created if we were to vanish overnight.
            What is done in Europe will not work in the USA. California is probably the closest to what Europe does with very high taxes on everything, including gasoline. It has zero effect on how much people drive in CA. They still have some of the worst traffic in the country.
            Driving a vehicle in the USA isn’t a choice, it’s a requirement to even function in daily life.
            Artificially rising prices of things to force a certain agenda would not be met kindly and would have the opposite effect of what was intended. The tree huggers have already made half the population, myself included, a life long global warming denier.
            Take global warming out of the equation. Just consider pollution. Are you also a denier that we are killing our oceans and our rivers? Things that we can absolutely see, touch and feel not some far off in our heads problem. Landfills are not a problem? Water shortages are not a problem? I am not talking 100 years in the future I am talking the here and now.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Take global warming out of the equation. Just consider pollution. Are you also a denier that we are killing our oceans and our rivers? Things that we can absolutely see, touch and feel not some far off in our heads problem. Landfills are not a problem? Water shortages are not a problem? I am not talking 100 years in the future I am talking the here and now.
              Much like your endocrine system seeks to maintain homeostasis the Earth in a cosmic blink of an eye would recover. About the only thing that Earth wouldn’t recover from is if we somehow boiled away the atmosphere.
              As for the now, my house in Florida is supposed to be underwater right now, Al Gore said so 20 years ago.
              People seem to ignore the fact that Al Gore became a Billionaire selling this global warming bull****. He sold his tree hugger TV channel to someone in the Middle East. Now others wants to cash in on the bull**** with “carbon credits”.

Comment

• I am talking about making the planet uninhabitable for animals and people. At the rate we are moving unless a huge change comes in our behavior it will be not long in the future I fear.

Comment

• Everyone agrees there was an ice age on earth. The geologists have proof of the former glaciers.
                  What happened at the end of the ice age??
                  Let's take a guess,,,,,global warming?
                  And man and all his pollution was nowhere around...........

Comment

• Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                    Everyone agrees there was an ice age on earth. The geologists have proof of the former glaciers.
                    What happened at the end of the ice age??
                    Let's take a guess,,,,,global warming?
                    And man and all his pollution was nowhere around...........
                    Ken- That is a forks make people fat argument and you know it.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

Working...
                    X