X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sparky_NY
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Sparky thanks for that I remember both those cars back in the day and in fact worked on them although not the turbo versions, (I don't think or would have remembered the test drives lol) I was not aware that they did so well up against the more purist porsche's... could be the company was stretching it's boundaries to see if liquids really helped with cooling things better and after a decade of proof decided "yup they do so lets now put this technology to the test with our precious oversteering brainchild" lol
    That 944 turbo S was quite a car and it was severely detuned. It came about to help Porsche win a series of races at the time, problem was the car AND any options had to be stock which was defined as having a min of 500 sold and in the hands of the public. So..... they took the regular 944 turbo, changed well over 1000 parts and built a little over 700 or them in 1988. The 1989 944 turbo cars were ALL built to that same spec, they did a few over 1000 in 1989. Change out the computer chip, turn the boost up to 18psi and it would top 400HP. It would do quite a bit more than that but needed bigger injectors and air flow meter, guys have taken them real close to the 600hp mark.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
      I live in Germany and there still are many places with no speed limits. Recently I made a 210 mile trip in under two hours! Top speed was 130mph. This was in a Mercedes on a Sunday with no trucks on the roads. Funny thing was we were getting passed quite often. That Vette might be fun over here and could be driven the way it was built to drive.
      BF and believe me im fortunate to be writing to you about this without an "incident with the law" but back in 97 when my Pops was on his death bed I made it from canon city colorado to port huron mich in 18 hours 45 minutes, totally turned it loose in Kansas and averaged over 125mph for that state - lot's of times into the mid 130's in my little hopped up CRX SI, then having to shut it down to 120 or so for sideroads and stuff, no joke back roads main concern was watching out for guys pulling out from a side road with their John Deere tractors...
      yeah - should have been locked up and the key thrown away...
      stopping only for fuel and coffee - peeing in the same cup and tossing the piss out the window at stop signs or lights... slight rains and never forget the looks of that white car when id stop at the next gas station and step out --- the only time iv ever seen horizontal lines so straight and for the full length going across the body like that was from getting out of an airplane...

6 older brothers - most who had all set their own records of the trip years previous and it was not even close --- blew them out of the water, show up at the hospital - ask what room my Pops was in - they tell me - I go there - here's the old guy getting off of one of those plastic potty's lol looks at me --- says my name and then says OMG Son --- you look like HELL !

sometimes you just got to break the rules --- old bird hung on for another couple weeks defying all odds... sure do miss him... that CRX was one good little car -- slippery also not as good as the pea-shooter but also had about double the ponies...

Comment

• rickyb
        • Mar 2011

I’d love to have a C8, lots to like about them. But I wouldn’t trade my split window for it.

Comment

• J Tiers
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Sure sounds like your dislike of the vette lies more with the buyers than the car itself !..................
          To a certain degree, YES! Obnoxious people gravitate to certain cars.

But, it was always specifically made to appeal to those folks. All it did in prior times was to get from 0-60 in a very short time. And that was all those folks actually cared about. My wife calls Corvettes "pr**k enhancers", and always considered it a mark against any guy who drove one.

If it has been made to handle decently, as in as well as a Saab 96, or even a Volvo wagon, then good. (I know, you laugh abut the wagon.... but the weight distribution is such that it acts more like a mid-engine vehicle. Something like 55/45% front/rear. Won't accelerate fast, but it will drift and corner.).

For a considerable while the Corvettes were kinda crappy handling. Kind of a joke among people who knew what a good sports car is like. (And they often did not like Corvette owners either).
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• RB211
            • Mar 2015

As much as I don’t want to agree with it, the fact is that assholes do drive BMW’s.

Comment

• Jim Stewart
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              As much as I don’t want to agree with it, the fact is that assholes do drive BMW’s.
              Ding ding ding!

-js
              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• J Tiers
                • Jan 2004

Yep. Not all Bimmer drivers are jerks, that is for sure. But enough are that you won't go wrong just flat expecting any given Bimmer driver to be one.

I know several folks here on the forum drive Bimmers and do not like that characterization, but if they think about it, they will realize it is true.

And not just Bimmers... other luxury sport vehicles are included. Usually folks who made money recently. (Very few "old money" people are jerks, they do not need to prove anything.)

Now they have money, and a Bimmer, so they own the road, and you should let them in ahead, pull over so they can pass you, etc. After all they have enough money to make the payments on a Bimmer/lexus/Porsche/whatever, and so they own the road.

There are relatively few folks who own Benz's who are total jerks.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• PStechPaul
                  • Oct 2013

Surprised nobody has posted a picture of this beast:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-corvette-cw-01.png?imwidth=420.png
Views:	233
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1952540

Name:	2021-corvette-technology-01.jpg?imwidth=960.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1952541

Name:	2021-corvette-performance-01.jpg?imwidth=960.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1952542

Looks nice enough, but not something I'd want even if I won the lottery.
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                    • May 2006

It's really hard to find on-line pics that do it justice, Iv seen tons of them before iv seen the car in person and it just did not prepare me for how hot they looked...

here's a couple that kinda bring out the WOW factor some...

I think I figured out why im so in awe and I kinda knew this was going to happen, just did not know how it was going to manifest itself,,, im driving something so underpowered right now that I think a box stock basic yaris would give me a run for the money, Iv always appreciated the European supercars going way back, and the fact that many chose to go the smaller cube route and refine them to rap out at higher RPM's to get the job done... I like high RPM's, but the pea shooter's got me pent up so bad that for the first time big cubes would be the ultimate "fix" like craving a snack and buying a whole box of little debbie nutty bars and not even making it home from the store with anything more than the wrappers...

I could sell my house and own a C-8 but id have to live in a shoe box, not worth it - and the realization is - the cars not for me - it's too "techy" too "new" and you cannot even get them in a manual trans... I think it's very cool we have it though just for a badge of what we can do, fact is - is it does not even need to make the company money - it could be a bust or break even and they can still be way ahead of the game, "IT" meaning the gross sales from the particular model, but what it does for the entire brand can be boom, it's something to hang their hat on --- and yeah wear on their sleeve, without performance flagships like this the world would be a drab place... so - not for me but kudos... Game changer? depends what game your talking about but in many a ways definitely so, I will enjoy following it's progress...

I'll stick to a more realistic goal of maybe someday getting an S-2000... i could have allot of fun with that car if I kept it sticky side down....

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                      • May 2006

Pretty much everything you would want to know;

Comment

• RB211
                        • Mar 2015

So… How does it handle on the track?

Comment

• Sparky_NY
                          • Jun 2007

So… How does it handle on the track?
                          Its chalking up a LOT of wins at major races.

Comment

• Glug
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Its chalking up a LOT of wins at major races.
                            That often doesn't have much to do with how a stock car handles on a track.

I'm sure it handles verry well. Plus, modern driver aids are fantastic at keeping the edges of the performance envelope 'soft'. Though the overwhelmingly majority of car owners never take a car on a road course - any car - even to a driver education event. Also, there seems to be a correlation on road courses - the quicker the car, the worse the driver. Though I know plenty of quick Corvette drivers and have enjoyed many Corvette club events.

I'm wondering how reliable it is for track events. Alternating between maximum throttle and brake for hundreds of miles in a weekend is a chanellenge to any vehicle.
                            Guru of no signature

Comment

• Black Forest
                              • Jan 2010

If you all put up the money and buy one for me I will test it out on our Autobahns and twisty winding roads.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• MikeL46
                                • Aug 2014

I tend to like cars in general. I was in love with every new Corvette from 1956 (I was 10 and just discovering cars I could not afford). The new 'Vette is a good looking car, and handles better than I could ever approach and I have enough money in the bank to go buy one. But, I can't even consider it 'cause it only comes as an automatic (as most high performance cars it seems). Yeah, I know the automatic may be quicker, better, faster and almost perfect; I want more engagement. Seriously, if a self driving car was quicker, better, faster and almost perfect would I rather go slower while driving myself! An automatic transmission may be ideal for heavy commute traffic, for people who dislike driving or who physically can't manage three pedals, but not for me.

My current ride, 2020 Fiat 124 Spider, is far from fast. But it is a lot of fun on a twisty road. And on boring roads I still enjoy listening to the exhaust as drive along. Not to mention the smile on every well executed shift.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X