Thinking of getting a MIG welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a MIG welder

I like my Everlast TIG welder, but want to add a MIG welder to complement it for doing body work and sheet metal work. Looking at the new 399$ 140 amp Everlast one. Anyone have one of these units? Cyclone 140E
    https://www.everlastgenerators.com/p...g/cyclone-140e
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4B39CDBE-14F8-4EA3-94C1-382D194A20A7.png
Views:	399
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	1952249

If that's 140A on a 120V circuit, don't do it. Usability and duty cycle will suck. Whatever you get, make it a 230V 'real' welder. Someone may pipe up here to the contrary, but I've never known anyone with a 120V welder who didn't wish they'd gone bigger.
    Southwest Utah

Comment

I have a Lincoln Electric 120v MIG and it is just fine for up to 3/16", and respectable on 1/4". I have to turn it way down for sheet metal.
      The OP wants to do sheetmetal and body work, so you don't need a high amperage welder.

Comment

Yep, my TIG is 240 and gets used for the bigger stuff. I’d use the MIG purely for the thin stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          Yep, my TIG is 240 and gets used for the bigger stuff. I’d use the MIG purely for the thin stuff.
          I used to have a 90A 120V MIG welder. Bought it for $25 from a body guy who didn't know how to fix it. Another $20 in parts (plus a gas bottle) and I was in business. It worked just fine on sheet metal and light steel.

Sold it when I got my TIG. Should have kept it.

-js
          Last edited by Jim Stewart; 07-18-2021, 07:45 PM.
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

If you're doing sheet metal and body work under 1/4" thick it should do OK with .023 wire. Anything thicker than 10-gage will probably want 2 passes. I've used plenty 140-amp machines that way lots of farm shops around here have them. Preparation becomes more important with these smaller machines -- having the metal clean, good fit-up, etc.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
              If you're doing sheet metal and body work under 1/4" thick it should do OK with .023 wire. Anything thicker than 10-gage will probably want 2 passes. I've used plenty 140-amp machines that way lots of farm shops around here have them. Preparation becomes more important with these smaller machines -- having the metal clean, good fit-up, etc.
              I view the 120v MIG welders as a machine for 1/8” and under. As noted above you can get by on thicker with proper techniques and some preheat.

OP, I can’t help on the everlast but that class machine should do you well for what you want. I think this is for the Ford project and a much better option than trying to attack that with a TIG.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                I like my Everlast TIG welder, but want to add a MIG welder to complement it for doing body work and sheet metal work. Looking at the new 399$ 140 amp Everlast one. Anyone have one of these units? Cyclone 140E
                I like it...

Dont worry about supply wattage, its an inverter machine. Yeah, mine is an old fashion Lincoln.

That inverter MIG welder is very nice. And the prices looks good.

FYI. When you buy it spend a lil time in their consumables sales section. You know.... Tips and other consumables specific to the machine. I hack regular tips to work with odd machines and vice verse. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post

I view the 120v MIG welders as a machine for 1/8” and under. As noted above you can get by on thicker with proper techniques and some preheat.

OP, I can’t help on the everlast but that class machine should do you well for what you want. I think this is for the Ford project and a much better option than trying to attack that with a TIG.
                  Indeed, the 12-v/140A MIG's are almost exclusively what I recommend for auto work, they're great for that. Heavier work gets heavier machines -- in my world at least, automotive is "light duty".

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Indeed, the 12-v/140A MIG's are almost exclusively what I recommend for auto work, they're great for that. Heavier work gets heavier machines -- in my world at least, automotive is "light duty".
                    Same here. You can weld thicker stuff with the little machines but it becomes a lot of work pre-machining or grinding chamfers to get the multiple passes necessary. Sometimes you need preheat too. That's a large PITA compared to just having the right size machine. I generally use stick for bigger stuff anyway. I have a Millermatic 135 for little stuff but I don't use that for anything over ⅛" and mostly just for sheet metal. Since I don't have a bigger MIG machine I bust out the stick/TIG welder for anything thicker.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post

Same here. You can weld thicker stuff with the little machines but it becomes a lot of work pre-machining or grinding chamfers to get the multiple passes necessary. Sometimes you need preheat too. That's a large PITA compared to just having the right size machine. I generally use stick for bigger stuff anyway. I have a Millermatic 135 for little stuff but I don't use that for anything over ⅛" and mostly just for sheet metal. Since I don't have a bigger MIG machine I bust out the stick/TIG welder for anything thicker.
                      Yup, pretty much same here. At work its almost all stick. They have a MIG just for the bodywork on the trucks, and for the easy-oddball jobs. Everything else is 7018. I am hoping to get my TIG rig setup at home and do some side jobs.

Comment

On a side note, been watching this guy on YouTube, getting a real education on automotive bodywork. Others seem to think of him as the go to guy as well on YouTube.
                        https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...9DXTo_LDLM99Wj

Comment

If you want a modern MIG welder, get one that supports pulsed MIG. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                            if you want a modern mig welder, get one that supports pulsed mig. Just sayin'.
                            LIKE.
                            --Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

Ok, I agree that for body work the small mig is great. Problem is, the need for bigger always shows up before long. I know the OP has a TIG, but there are many times when a MIG is better. You can weld with less warping/distortion in many cases because MIG is very quick, you don't put nearly as much heat into a part overall, and sometimes its just too awkward to 'get in there' with a TIG torch and filler.
                              Southwest Utah

Comment

Working...
                              X