Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reconditioning Dead Batteries ??? BS Or What ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    I get 10 years at least from the T-105s, which is not bad. Sometimes, with power out and no sun, you are just stuck. But 50% is a good number to use for max discharge.

When a battery has the right specific gravity (SG), there cannot be a lot wrong with it. If there were, you'd never get the SG up. The SG tells you if you are losing acid to sulfating, it the active material is less, etc.

1.250 is about right for most lead acid batteries, but the specs tell the story on what it should be. The T-105 are spec'd at 1.277 for 100%.

There is also the fact that if water is low, SG may be up, and if overfilled, SG will be lower..
    That's very reassuring but the real test is how well they hold up under a load. From what I've been told.... the Spg being where it should be indicating a battery is good only tells you it's fully charged and the battery can still be bad. As I said this is what I've been told.

I recently checked all the cells in my four 6 v T-145's. I topped them off with distilled water and charged them to full as indicated by the units charger. That usually takes a full day most of the time. I let them settle for a day and then checked the Spg. Each cell tested 1275 + and a few tested 1300. So, when I take it out and run it I'll find out how true this is. I hope your right. I just priced those batteries, bast price I found was $195 ea. some places were asking $300 +.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Last I heard the T-105s are among the best. I know they used to use them to make battery packs for floor machines and forklifts. Not sure about how they are used today. I have heard of guys using forklift battery packs with the proper charge controllers for a "whole house" UPS setup with solar and wind. (of course that runs into money...)
      I've been told the same. The Trojan brand is the best in quality. A bit more expensive but .... you get what you pay for.

As I mentioned the T-145's I priced were $195 ea. I priced an equivalent, Crown battery for $130. Big difference in price. But..... the Trojan weighs about 17 Lbs more. Must be more lead ! Also priced a NAPA brand battery at $165, and a Decca battery at $149.

JL............
      Last edited by JoeLee; 07-19-2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Last purchase of T-105s was last year, around $155 less the $20 core charge for returning the old ones. The old ones were from about 2008, so lifetime not bad. And those were used with a less capable solar charger than the one now in use.

There is a different option connecting post for the "RE" version of the T-105, threaded studs on posts are taller, so easier to make the connections in a larger pack.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 07-19-2021, 07:14 PM.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          I've been told the same. The Trojan brand is the best in quality. A bit more expensive but .... you get what you pay for.

As I mentioned the T-145's I priced were $195 ea. I priced an equivalent, Crown battery for $130. Big difference in price. But..... the Trojan weighs about 17 Lbs more. Must be more lead ! Also priced a NAPA brand battery at $165, and a Decca battery at $149.

JL............
          I heard there was another good one here: https://www.odysseybattery.com/appli...-rv-batteries/
          They were recommended to me by the folks at the otherpower forum years ago. Many of those guys are going at least partially off-grid, usually in the midwest. My employer uses some of these in their semi trucks, I can vouch for them.

I'm happy so far with my yellow-top Optimas but next batter I buy, I am looking at this: https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/nsb-agm65m/
          Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 07-19-2021, 10:06 PM.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
          X