Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct procedure for posting viewable photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave C
    replied
    I was going to post a new sort of OT thread, but this one got my attention when I opened the forum. By the time I finished reading all the posts on here, I forgot what I was going to write. Dammit

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I like being able to read the text of a post while at the same time viewing the relevant picture. And as such I like to have a short description of the following image just above it.

More tips:

If you find an image that is already on a website, you can usually Right-Click and choose "Copy Image Link". Then in your post editing, you can click "Upload from URL". Otherwise you can choose "Save Image As" and download it to your computer. This is useful if you want to edit the image before posting, by resizing, cropping, adding text, etc.

Sometimes images on websites do not directly allow this, or the image may be in a format invalid for the post. In that case, you can usually Right-Click and select "Take Screenshot", which allows you to select the entire page or a portion. This can be downloaded to your computer and then edited and used for forum posts as you wish.

George - it would be helpful to make some of this info available in a sticky. It could even include a short video of the process. Here is a video clip of another way to insert images using drag and drop, although apparently it does not always work for everyone:

Like this:

Oktoberfest Potato Salad

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    I was wrong about the photo size in my post #4, I have just viewed PStechPaul's #2 post without logging on and every picture is thumbnail size, and they stay that way even if clicked on. Not much encouragment for potential members.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post

That's a "them" problem though. Let's not penalize the rest of us that enjoy the big pictures and know enough to only quote text or even just a line or two of the post.
    Hardly.
    What's wrong with clicking on a thumbnail? You can enjoy the big pictures if you choose and skip the less interesting or less photogenic shots.
    No one size fits all.
    Last edited by reggie_obe; 07-21-2021, 03:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Issue with posting anything but thumbnails is that someone quotes you and leaves your image links in the quoted post, instead of just quoting the text.
    That's a "them" problem though. Let's not penalize the rest of us that enjoy the big pictures and know enough to only quote text or even just a line or two of the post.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Issue with posting anything but thumbnails is that someone quotes you and leaves your image links in the quoted post, instead of just quoting the text.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Three steps:
    1. Click "Upload Attachments"
    2. Select desired photo - it will appear below
    3. Click on desired size ... DONE!

Leave a comment:

• Edwin Dirnbeck
    replied
    Originally posted by luthor View Post
    Thanks for the information PStechPaul, I will try that next time.
    Paul Thanks for the help..This sounds like a ten step process. Does this forum use some hyper complicated secure software to thwart international hackers? I can sit in my garage with my iphone and take some pictures of some hubcaps and post them on craigslist all in .about 2 minutes.. Edwin Dirnbeck

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    An alternative to the so many pixels by so many pixels is to check the image for size. Something around 180K for file size will be OK but a touch fuzzy. Images that are up around 250 to 280K will be sharp and expandable. It's not a great idea to go bigger than that since it's not really needed and it can be a slow down for those with slower connections.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    If it helps any... I always resize my pics to 1600x1200 on the desktop, and when i upload them I wait for the uploader to get done, then select "medium" size. Et Voila, the pic appears, medium sized.

Leave a comment:

• luthor
    replied
    Thanks for the information PStechPaul, I will try that next time.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Edwards
    replied
    Why does your dog look guilty?

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    When I post pictures, I normally choose thumbnails which may be a mistake, because only people who are signed in can see them fullsize. I must remember to choose fullsize as most of the people viewing are not members.

Leave a comment:

• EthanConor707
    replied
    Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Click on "Upload Attachments", which opens a "File Upload" window. Use the usual Windows Explorer navigation to the images you want from your computer, and click on them. You can select as many as five images by using Ctrl-Click. Click the "Open" button and the files will be uploaded to the HSM server. They will appear below the edit frame, and you can select from:

thumbnail
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mower_Shed_Base_Nyke_6769.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	1952524

small

Views:	225
ID:	1952525

medium

Views:	224
ID:	1952526

large

Views:	217
ID:	1952527

and Fullsize:

Views:	220
ID:	1952528

I like to have my images pre-sized 20% to 800x600 pixels from the native 4000x3000, but 1200x900 (30%) is also good. So my "full size" image is the same as "large". But otherwise it will be resized to fit the page, like this which is the original 4000x3000.

Name:	DSCN6769.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1952529
    Thank you for the information Sir.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Click on "Upload Attachments", which opens a "File Upload" window. Use the usual Windows Explorer navigation to the images you want from your computer, and click on them. You can select as many as five images by using Ctrl-Click. Click the "Open" button and the files will be uploaded to the HSM server. They will appear below the edit frame, and you can select from:

thumbnail

Views:	223
ID:	1952524

small

Views:	225
ID:	1952525

medium

Views:	224
ID:	1952526

large

Views:	217
ID:	1952527

and Fullsize:

Views:	220
ID:	1952528

I like to have my images pre-sized 20% to 800x600 pixels from the native 4000x3000, but 1200x900 (30%) is also good. So my "full size" image is the same as "large". But otherwise it will be resized to fit the page, like this which is the original 4000x3000.

Name:	DSCN6769.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1952529

Leave a comment:

Working...
X